1st game attendance

Discussion in 'Georgia Swarm Forum' started by mtbf, Jan 9, 2016.

1. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Swarm tweeted they expect 10k that would be very impresive no matter how they got the people in the door

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

It's too bad that 9,500 of them won't come back after what the Rock do to them tonight.

3. Corporal

Corporal Active Member

I would not be surprised to see #NotMySwarm to get at least 10,000. The owner has to put on quite a show and spend money for the first year to get a strong enough fan base to withstand what happens 3 to 4 yrs down the road. That is when Lyle Thompson gets traded to Rochester for first rounders in 2020 & 2021 and he sends out a letter to #NotMySwarm fans asking for help to get more season tickets sold.

4. AmericanRockFan

Do you still want blue turf at the Xcel Center?

5. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I could see Lyle sticking around there long-term (depending on how long-term the Swarm can possibly be) because he is a big name in the sport and brings in $$$ and exposure in a way that Benesch, Crawford, Sorensen, etc. don't.

6. Corporal

Corporal Active Member

Sure, why not. Even though Minnesota is the only place the new commissioner or any other bigwig in the NLL is not talking about when asked about a new team, I can still dream of maybe some day in future that blue turf does make its debut at the X.

7. Corporal

Corporal Active Member

If there is one player that has a chance to withstand the yearly Arlotta player compensation purge, it could be Lyle with his well earned status. Then again, a proven track record of dumping players in their prime for picks has been established and no proof yet if this will change. When the new rookie smell wears off, the #NotMySwarm owner has always gone looking to trade it in for picks.

8. AmericanRockFan

"Well there's more people out on the field than there is in the stands, folks." -Fox Sports announcers just now. I don't think they know they're on air :rotfl:

9. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

9,500 is an excellent size for an opener. Only issue is most team paper the house for the first game ever.

Hell, even the NY Titans had over 13,000 for their first game. Let's see how it goes from here...

10. AmericanRockFan

I will say that at least it seemed like almost all of those 9,500 showed up, unlike some of the horribly fudged numbers we've seen in the past in other venues.

11. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

It is fine to paper the first couple of games if done smartly.
    -pass out kids get in free with adult ticket to schools
    -free tickets to youth teams to sell as fund raisers
    -extra tickets to season ticket holders

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

By game time, the place was at least 70% full. I heard it holds a bit over 11K, so, I certainly believe that there were 9500 tickets out there, and that they had a pretty good "asses in seats" ratio.

hoping this works, but, hugely skeptical that they get sustained strong attendance.

13. Rock Rulz

Rock Rulz Member

9087 is a really good number to start! Let's see how they sustain it.

14. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Let's see what it looks like at 2:05 Sunday game this week

15. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

Great start, fan base seems into it. Would love for this market to work.

16. Hollywood42

Sliced in half today

17. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Losing half your crowed in two weeks is a bad sign. What is going to happen when they have 3-4 weeks between home games. Philadelphia here they come?

18. Hollywood42

I'd be ok with it lol

19. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Those that did turn up saw a **** game....

The over-under for this location is 1 year.

20. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I agree that it is bad to lose half the crowd. Obviously, the first game has the most lead up to sell tickets. But, I've always felt that more time between games gives teams more time to sell tickets. The Bandits next game has lots of seats available in the end of the lower bowl. It will be interesting to see if Buffalo goes up or down from the home opener with two weeks between their 1st and 2nd home games.

Georgia has 4 weeks until their next game to sell tickets, then a stretch of 5 home games in a row later in the season so it will be interesting to see how things turn out.