1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Visit to Rochester

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by BeerMan, Jan 31, 2001.

1. BeerMan

BeerMan New Member

I - along with a few friends - will be travelling to Rochester on February 17th to watch the back-to-back NLL champions take on the local lacrosse club, I believe they are called the Light Hawks :)

As this will be my first time ever visiting Rochester, I would like to ask a few questions...

1) How long does it take to drive to Rochester from downtown Toronto?

2) I have a reservation at the Sheraton Four Points. Is the hotel near the arena? Is it nice? Any other suggestions?

3) Places to eat. I know this is very subjective but I am not much of a burgers and wings guy although I do like beer. Any nice restaurants near the War Memorial?

4) Post Game Bar Hopping. I would like to hit a fun bar with HOT chicks (21-30 age bracket) after the game. Any suggestions?

5) During university in Ottawa, our American TV stations were all from Rochester. There used to be this cheap TV spot for a grocery store that catered to Blacks called "J&E Grocery." The ads featured a guy with an afro named "James Smith" and he would talk about the prices of weird food like chitlins, hem hawks, grits and porcupine pie. The spot ran continuously and was sort of a "cult classic" in our res dorm. Does anyone know of this store? I think it was on Reynolds St. or something like that. I would love to actually visit it.

2. woodstick

woodstick New Member

It takes me 2.5 hours to get to Toronto from Rochester. The 4 points is only a few blocks from the arena, and it is a nice hotel. There is Empire brewery on State st, and the Dinasour bbq on South ave, both have good food. Empire has their own brews which are very good. The girl part you will have to ask someone else, as age 20 was a long time ago for me. I always admired the ads for the meat market on tv, however a young guy from Toronto should avoid Reynolds street

3. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

<FONT size="4">What the hell are Light Hawks ??</FONT s>

Put down the beer before typing, you don't want to spill any do you? The Rochester team is called the Knighthawks like on the link that you clicked to get into this board. Please do us a favor and put down the beer before driving our streets. Please feel free to visit J&E Grocery. Usually, The later the better as it isn't as busy later in the nighttime. There are some beautiful neighborhoods close by that you should visit called Tremont Terrace and Genesee Street. Enjoy your stay in Rochester and don't worry, Strong Hospital is just the other side of the river. Some great restaurants that aren't too far from the arena are Nick Tahou's on West Main Street especially after 8:00pm and also Mark's Texas Hots on Lake Avenue 24 hours a day. It's only about 2 blocks from Empire Brew company and well worth the walk.

Knabber da educator

------------------
    Krew@Lacrosse.com

4. woodstick

woodstick New Member

The city of Rochester forced Nicks to close at 8pm. Marks is next to be closed by the city..permanently. If you do go there bring the Rock, all of them. Even that might not help.

5. Naw you guys! Not Reynolds St.!

He's gotta park on N.Clinton and walk West down Ave A! Towards Evergreen !

------------------
    Most Sincerely,
    Gonzo In Roch

BRRRRP!....
    It's...The Gonzo Page!!! www.gonzopage.com

6. MajorMom

MajorMom New Member

You guys are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!! LMAO

7. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

<FONT size="4">Don't tell him all of our good spots.....?!!!</FONT s>

I'm sorry Beer Man, we were funnin' with ya. You actually want to take in the Cordial Lounge on Lyell Avenue. It is one of the oldest, most roBUST experiences in Rochester. If you're looking for young women who are looking for young men you can't go wrong by spending some beer change there. Just ask Gonzo, he has a gold VIP card to the Lounge. Another fine establishment that is usually pretty full on a Saturday night is called Club GQ on Central Avenue. It's usually packed pretty tight on a Saturday, but alot of guys like to hang out there. Just ask Jim from Roch, I think he has pull at the door. (Trust me that's funny.)

I'm out, I'm laughing too hard.

Knabber da trouble maker.

------------------
    Krew@Lacrosse.com

8. Big E

Big E New Member

<FONT face="Tahoma">Come on Knab...

Give them what all Male Toronto Rock Fans want...the number to ZIPPERS!

~E</FONT f>

[Edited by Big E (02-01-2001)]

9. laxdaddio

laxdaddio New Member

Hey Big E - Zipers took out an ad in the Toronto papers - they are looking for you to pay your bar tab from when you last visited them. Apparently, you rushed out with a young Mexican boy in a mesh tank top and were too preoccupied to pay your tab.

------------------

10. Jim_in_Roch

Jim_in_Roch New Member

Hey Beer Man - The BEST place in the area for everything - cold beer, the best blues, the most awesome food you have ever eaten, and for absolutely the most gorgeous bartenders, waitresses, and hostesses, ya gotta check out the Dinosaur (www.dinosaurbarbque.com). I'm positive that Gonzo & his cronies will try to convince you to go to the post game schmooze - but believe me, you'll have a better time at the Dino. Check out the website to see what it's all about.

------------------

11. ParrotBayTaz

ParrotBayTaz New Member

Hey Jim - what took u so long to chime in w/the dino? For a good sunday buffet the crown plaze on the other side of the river from the 4 points is pretty good. see u next friday beerman

------------------

12. BeerMan

BeerMan New Member

Nice try Big E. We've got our own "Zippers" bar in Toronto :)

BTW, thanks guys for all of the suggestions. We are looking forward to our first trip to Rochester.

------------------

13. Really!
    I was gettin' worried about you Pulled Pork Jim!

------------------
    Most Sincerely,
    Gonzo In Roch

BRRRRP!....
    It's...The Gonzo Page!!! www.gonzopage.com

14. Jim_in_Roch

Jim_in_Roch New Member

Don't 'ya worry 'bout me, Gonz old buddy. I'll be in my beloved Dinosaur tonight (2/6), tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Great bands, Great tunes, Great blues all week!

------------------

[Edited by Jim_in_Roch (02-06-2001)]

15. BeerMan

BeerMan New Member

Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions.

We are going to tour around Rochester during the day, eat dinner at the Dinosaur, watch the Rock defeat the Knighthawks at the War Memorial and then head to the Cordial Lounge or Club GQ.

One more question. Is there a Krispy Kreme in Rochester? I have read about a dozen articles in Canada about this chain and their famous donuts.

------------------

16. zigzag2k

zigzag2k New Member

Hey beer man, Dont be bringin that damn ebola virus with you from O Canada. If you smell what the Crock is cookin!

------------------
    Zigzag

17. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

Hey Beerman;

The Krew sits mostly in Section 220 Row A. Feel free to stop by and say "howdy". I agree with your day's plans, except for the part about the game. Please don't come to Rochester expecting a victory, I'm afraid you will be dissapointed by games end.

Have Fun;

Knabber da Visitor's Guide

------------------
    Krew@Lacrosse.com

18. Krewman

Krewman New Member

Hey BeerMan, yes there is a Krispy Kreme here. It is about 20 minutes away. Let me know if you want directions to the place. See you here.

------------------

[Edited by Krewman (02-09-2001)]

19. BeerMan

BeerMan New Member

Yes, I would love directions to the Krispy Kreme. The company has announced plans to expand into Canada and there have been countless media reports about these supposedly famous donuts. I want to go and try them for myself.

------------------

20. Jim_in_Roch

Jim_in_Roch New Member

Beer Man - Glad you decided to eat at the best place in Rochester - the Dinosaur, BUT just a tip, if you plan to eat THEN go to the game, and try to catch warmups, you had better be there by probably no later than 3:30, or 4:00. If you get there after that, you MAY find yourself having to wait 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. (maybe even more) for a table. My suggestion, (being a regular), is to do your sightseeing, starve yourself at the game (don't be enticed by that cheap substitute Red Osier for the Dinosaur), and eat at the Dino AFTER the game. You still may have to wait a bit, but not as long as you would around 5:00. The upside of that is that, while you're waiting for a table, you can check out the band, have cocktails, and check out the scrumptious hostesses, bartenders, and waitresses. You also wanted to know where to go for women. If you go to the Cordial, all you're gonna be able to do there is look at them, and unless you're gay, you won't want to go to GQ (so I've heard). If you'd like to meet, Knabber & Gonzo both know the area where I sit. I'm not sitting in my regular seat this season, because the seat next to me, and in front of me are season tickets, and I hate sitting next to someone, and having someone in front of me - I like to stretch out, so I find a seat near there to watch the game from. My seat is in Section 111, but I usually sit in the last couple of rows of Section 113. So, take this advice for what it's worth, and know that there are always plenty of women of all ages partying at the Dino on Sat. night.

------------------