2014 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA Lacrosse Forum' started by LaxBandit, May 10, 2014.

1. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

First Round - Saturday, May 10.
    12:00 pm ET - Albany at #3 Loyola, Maryland - Joe Beninati and Paul Carcaterra - ESPNU/WatchESPN.
    2:30 pm ET - Harvard at #6 Notre Dame - Mike Corey and Matt Ward - ESPNU/WatchESPN.
    5:00 pm ET - Cornell at #7 Maryland - Booker Corrigan and Stephen McElduff - ESPNU/WatchESPN.
    7:30 pm ET - North Carolina at #5 Denver - Mark Dixon and Jamie Munro - ESPNU/WatchESPN.

First Round - Sunday, May 11.
    1:00 pm ET - Johns Hopkins at #8 Virginia - Joe Beninati and Paul Carcaterra - ESPN2/WatchESPN.
    3:00 pm ET - Drexel at # 4 Pennsylvania - Mike Corey and Matt Ward - ESPNU/WatchESPN.
    5:15 pm ET - Air Force at #1 Duke - Ben Holden and Ryan Flanagan - ESPNU/WatchESPN.
    7:30 pm ET - Bryant at #2 Syracuse - Eamon McAnaney and Ryan Boyle - ESPNU/WatchESPN.

Predictions: Saturday - Albany, Notre Dame, Cornell and Denver. Sunday - Virginia, Pennsylvania, Duke and Syracuse. Go Notre Dame! Go Syracuse!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

Yes, I know theres no TV coverage in Canada of these first round games - that should change next season with the recent announcement that TSN will be having five channels with one of those channels being mainly devoted to Canadian and United States college sports. (I'm not sure what TSN/TSN2 have scheduled for "Final Four" weekend this year - evening of Saturday, May 24 and early afternoon of Monday, May 26 - but theres a chance both semifinals and the championship game being on at least TSN2. Last month TSN2 showed one "Frozen Four" semifinal and the "Frozen Four" championship game LIVE for the first time. Yes, I know thats ice hockey but maybe TSN/TSN2 will do the same for lacrosse in a couple of weeks.)

Due to other plans (a get-together at one of my cousins and then the Bandits game tonight) going to miss all four of the games today. Ugh! I'm going to record the Albany-Loyola and North Carolina-Denver games to watch in the early hours of Sunday morning. (Watch those two be blowouts and the other two be close/overtime games.) Hopefully there is no overtimes in the Ducks-Kings game so I can start my watching at midnight. Better news, I'll be able to watch all four of the games on Sunday. (Wish Syracuse didn't have their graduation ceremonies today at the Dome which forces them to always play the evening game on Sunday - always conflict with NHL playoff games for me. Guess its WatchESPN for the Bryant-Syracuse game.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  3. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

Close. If only Cornell didn't **** the bed. The wife and I snagged tickets for the DU game; it was fun, despite the rain and low score. :)

4. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

First Round Results - Saturday, May 10.
    Albany 13 - #3 Loyola, Maryland - 6 - Albany Great Danes advance to the Quarterfinals.
    #6 Notre Dame 13 - Harvard 5 - #6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish advance to the Quarterfinals.
    #7 Maryland 8 - Cornell 7 - #7 Maryland Terrapins advance to the Quarterfinals.
    #5 Denver 9 - North Carolina 8 - #5 Denver Pioneers advance to the Quarterfinals.

First Round Results - Sunday, May 11.
    Johns Hopkins 14 -#8 Virginia 8 - John Hopkins Blue Jays advance to the Quarterfinals.
    Drexel 16 - #4 Pennsylvania 11 - Drexel Dragons advance to the Quarterfinals.
    #1 Duke 20 - Air Force 9 - #1 Duke Blue Devils advance to the Quarterfinals.
    Bryant 10 - #2 Syracuse 9 - Bryant Bulldogs advance to the Quarterfinals.

Quarterfinals - Saturday, May 17 - James M. Shuart Stadium, Hempstead, NY.
    12:00 pm ET - Bryant vs. #7 Maryland. 2:30 pm ET - Albany vs #6 Notre Dame.
    TV - ESPN2. Online - WatchESPN.com - Commentators - Eamon McAnaney, Quint Kessenich and Paul Carcaterra.
    Studio - Anish Shroff, Mark Dixon and Dom Starsia (Head Coach - University of Virginia)

Quarterfinals - Sunday, May 18 - Delaware Stadium, Newark, Del.
    12:00 pm ET - John Hopkins vs #1 Duke. 2:30 pm ET - Drexel vs #5 Denver.
    TV - ESPNU. Online - WatchESPN.com - Commentators - Eamon McAnaney, Quint Kessenich and Paul Carcaterra.
    Studio - Anish Shroff, Mark Dixon and Dom Starsia (Head Coach - University of Virginia)

Predictions: Well last week, I went 4-4. As Silvanthalas mentioned above, almost a perfect 4-0 record on Saturday. Got Albany, Notre Dame and Denver right, lost the Cornell one when Maryland won on a goal with two seconds remaining after coming back from being 5-1 down. Guess losing that way led into Sundays dissapointing 1-3 with Virginia, Penn and Syracuse all losing while Duke being my only win. This week, I'm going with Maryland, Notre Dame, Duke and Denver. Yeah no upsets this time around, the glass slipper will not fit this weekend for Bryant, Albany and Drexel. (I do see the teams giving their opponents a game though - wouldn't be surprise if they are all one goal or two goal wins by the seeded teams.)

I'll have a busy sports day today. Three soccer matches (12:00 pm ET - LaLiga-Barcelona-Atletico Madrid - FA Cup Final-Hull City-Arsenal. 2:00 pm ET - German Cup Final-Munich vs Dortmund) and the two college lacrosse games. Will be watching the soccer on the telle and the lacrosse online so thank goodness for WatchESPN.com - then it all ends tonight with the Bandits-Knighthawks game on the Lacrosse Network/YouTube.com

Edit: Didn't feel like watching the German Cup Final via Spanish audio (no English audio feed available via the telle) so I decided to switch things up and watch the soccer online (ESPN3.com has a English audio feed) and the end of the first lacrosse game and the whole second lacrosse game on the telle. (Also my Dad is on the other computer and hes more interested in watching the lacrosse than the soccer so it works out well for him.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  5. InLaxWeTrust

InLaxWeTrust New Member

Bryant upset

6. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

Unfortunately Bryant was never into the game - Maryland cruised to an eight goal win.
    After a bad first half of the first quarter - was down 4-0 - Albany is giving Notre Dame a game - game is now tied 5-5 - 7 mins left - 2nd Quarter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  7. im so mad theres not a single NY team left. there was a real possibility to have cornell vs SU and then Albany vs. ND all live from Hofstra. Albany was my last hope and then they blew it. I hope Denever doesn't lose today, if they get knocked out idk who ill be rooting for.

8. IHS

IHS Active Member

Try RIT. A couple more years with the way they've been playing and I can see them moving up to D1.

9. silvanthalas

Denver dominated the first half. And here I thought Kessenich was being rather hyperbolic when he said early on that they could score 20.

I wouldn't look forward to a rematch against Duke though.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd like to see RIT and UB be DI lacrosse and help strenghten the identity of lacrosse in WNY. It certainly would help the NLL and perhaps the MLL as well.

11. IHS

IHS Active Member

After RIT went on their historic run to the Frozen Four a few years back, the RIT Prez. said he wanted RIT to be D1 across the board. The womens hockey team goes D1 after winning the D3 title 2 years ago and wins the CHA title this year. The men's lax program makes the most sense to step up next, even tho they got smoked yesterday by Tufts...

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

denver - bill tierny w/ matt brown - deadly coaching staff

13. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

Albany 13 - #3 Loyola, Maryland - 6 - Albany Great Danes advance to the Quarterfinals.
    #6 Notre Dame 13 - Harvard 5 - #6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish advance to the Quarterfinals.
    #5 Denver 9 - North Carolina 8 - #5 Denver Pioneers advance to the Quarterfinals.

Johns Hopkins 14 -#8 Virginia 8 - John Hopkins Blue Jays advance to the Quarterfinals.

Quarterfinal Results - Saturday, May 17 - James M. Shuart Stadium, Hempstead, New York - #7 Maryland 16 - Bryant 8 - #6 Notre Dame 14 - Albany 13 (OT).
    Quarterfinal Results - Sunday, May 18 - Delaware Stadium, Newark, Delaware - #1 Duke 19 - Johns Hopkins 8 - #5 Denver 15 - Drexel 6.
    Maryland, Notre Dame, Duke and Denver all advance to the Semifinals.

Semifinals - Saturday, May 24 - M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland.

1:00 pm ET - Semifinal #1 - #5 Denver Pioneers vs #1 Duke Blue Devils - LIVE on ESPN2/WatchESPN.com
    Commentators - Eamon McAnaney - Play By Play - Quint Kessenich - Analyst - Paul Carcaterra - Sideline Reporter.
    ESPNU Studio - Charlotte, North Carolina - Anish Shroff - Host - Ryan Flannigan - Analyst.

3:45 pm ET - Semifinal #2 - #7 Maryland Terrapins vs #6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish - LIVE on ESPN2/Watch ESPN.com
    Commentators - Eamon McAnaney - Play By Play - Quint Kessenich - Analyst - Paul Carcaterra - Sideline Reporter.
    ESPNU Studio - Charlotte, North Carolina - Anish Shroff - Host - Ryan Flannigan - Analyst.

Championship Game - Monday, May 26 - M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland.

1:00 pm ET - Championship Game - #5 Denver Pioneers/#1 Duke Blue Devils Winner vs #7 Maryland Terrapins/#6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Winner.
    LIVE on ESPN2/WatchESPN.com - Spider Cam Feed - ESPNU/WatchESPN.com -
    On-Site Studio - Pre-Game/Halftime/Post-Game - Anish Shroff - Host - Ryan Boyle - Analyst - Scott Marr - Albany Head Coach - Guest Analyst.

3:30 pm ET or whenever coverage of the NCAA Championship Game ends - 2014 NCAA Lacrosse Championship Post Game Show - ESPNU/WatchESPN.com -
    On-Site Studio - M&T Bank Stadium - Anish Shroff - Host - Ryan Boyle - Analyst.

Predictions - Went 4-0 last week to go 8-4 overall. This Week - Duke and Notre Dame - Duke Wins National Championship. Go Blue Devils!

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  14. silvanthalas

And that Duke/Denver game was pretty much all of my worst fears. The Pioneers had a good run late in the 3rd to keep it close, but Duke just shredded the Pioneers' defense most of the game, while the Pioneers spent the first half looking jittery with unforced turnovers and missing the net on wide open looks.

15. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

Quarterfinal Results - Saturday, May 17 - James M. Shuart Stadium, Hempstead, New York - #7 Maryland 16 - Bryant 8 - #6 Notre Dame 14 - Albany 13 (OT).
    Quarterfinal Results - Sunday, May 18 - Delaware Stadium, Newark, Delaware - #1 Duke 19 - Johns Hopkins 8 - #5 Denver 15 - Drexel 6.
    Maryland, Notre Dame, Duke and Denver all advance to the Semifinals.

Semifinal Results - Saturday, May 24 - M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland.
    1:00 pm ET - Semifinal #1 - #1 Duke Blue Devils 15 - #5 Denver Pioneers 12.
    3:45 pm ET - Semifinal #2 - #6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish 11 - #7 Maryland Terrapins 6.
    Duke and Notre Dame advance to the Championship Game.

Championship Game - Monday, May 26 - M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland.
    1:00 pm ET - Championship Game - #1 Duke Blue Devils vs 6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
    LIVE on ESPN2/WatchESPN.com - Spider Cam Feed - ESPNU/WatchESPN.com -
    On-Site Studio - Pre-Game/Halftime/Post-Game - Anish Shroff - Host - Ryan Boyle - Analyst - Scott Marr - Albany Head Coach - Guest Analyst.

3:30 pm ET or whenever coverage of the NCAA Championship Game ends - 2014 NCAA Lacrosse Championship Post Game Show - ESPNU/WatchESPN.com -
    On-Site Studio - M&T Bank Stadium - Anish Shroff - Host - Ryan Boyle - Analyst.

16. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Weak!

Doesn't look like a Canadian network is picking up the D1 final.

Doesn't look like "The Ocho" is producing a web feed that I can pirate-stream or proxy.

Off to work.....:(

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

ncaa.com might have a stream.

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

****-eaters only have tennis, softball, baseball.......

ah, well....

19. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Once again the finals attendance is less than the previous year. Only 25,587 yesterday. And total was less than Philly last year. Which will bring back the usual arguments (change back to college venues, move from Memorial day weekend, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014