2017 attendance

Discussion in 'Georgia Swarm Forum' started by GoodsOnSabres, Jan 8, 2017.

1. unspoken

unspoken Member

Ouch.

I was thinking about this a couple days ago.. if you were to give a comparison of box lacrosse to another sport, the first one you'd probably think of is hockey. So who thought moving the Swarm here was a good idea considering how terrible of a run the Atlanta Thrashers made before moving to Winnipeg?

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

I go back farther to willie plett, tom lysiak and jim craig Atlanta flames - had a supposed gem state of the art brand spanking new arena "the Omni" - now called Calgary.

3. unspoken

unspoken Member

Definitely thought of the Flames too, just used the Thrashers as the main example as it's only been a few years since they left and hasn't been much time for the sports landscape in the area to change.

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

no Atlanta still sucks as a sports town.

unspoken likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Active Member

Atlanta is not a bad sports market. It's a bad sports market for anything not called football, baseball, or basketball.
    Something to think about is the racial demographics of the area. How many black players are the in hockey or lacrosse?
    Compare that to the other 3 sports listed above.

That said, the demographics of the community are changing - not so much racially, but socio-politically. For instance, suburbs that were classic secure GOP districts are now "in-play" because of people immigrating from "bluer" metro areas. I think this is part of why there is a nontrivial and growing field lacrosse presence down there.

6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

If you're talking pro versions of those sports, here's how it broke down last year.

Falcons (NFL) -- 14th out of 32 in average attendance.
    Braves (MLB) -- 22nd out of 30 in average attendance.
    Basketball (Hawks) -- 26th out of 30 in average attendance.

In that size market, that's not good. I have friends who live in metro Atlanta and they say college football is king. Everything else is lukewarm and the fanbase is full of bandwagon jumpers.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Atlanta is a really bad sports town. Braves attendance has consistently slid since 1998. From 3.8 mil a season, to just over 2 mil the last two years. Hawks have the 5th worst attendance in the NBA, and are accused of inflating those numbers. Even Georgia tech doesn't sell out its 55,000 seat stadium. They average 88%. The Falcons are the only team that plays to new capacity

8. Vin

Vin Active Member

I totally believe and agree with that.
    Reminds me a bit of Columbus OH. Not sure how the Columbus Blue Jackets are doing and I guess the Columbus MLS team is doing OK, but, otherwise it's all about "THE Ohio State University".

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

hey look at Albany university. over 6,000 at their ncaa clash vs unc. hallowed homewood at Baltimore's johns Hopkins vs duke, not even 2,000. no different. a college
    town is just that.

10. swami24

Has a Georgia fan ever posted in this forum?

11. unspoken

unspoken Member

Chances are slim considering there's only about 816 of them out there.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  12. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Ouch. :D

13. swami24

Personally, I thought it was 818.

14. Vin

Vin Active Member

I'm not defending Georgia, but I bet there are Georgia fans who would post here if they knew about this place. Right now, it's looking like a Sears store.
    IL gives us no real love, nor does the league or any franchise. And, at this point, why should they? Sure, some league folks might come here simply because we've been around the block and can give some measured advice, but our green (or whatever color of money there is in Canada) is not different than the fans who are all going to social media so those organizations find a better investment in making the effort in social media.

Let's face it:
    15 years ago, if you wanted to look for a community of NLL / specific teams fans, you'd use Google and find a few sites and eventually come here. That's how I found it (and it was not through Google directly).
    Now, if you wanted to do the same task, you wouldn't even bother Googling and immediately do your search in Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and whatever other hot social media du jour there is.
    Think about that: No one discovers this place because no one is searching the web for something like this.

The only way we can grow this place again is to do our own word-of-mouth advertising and use our own social media accounts. I know I need to start stepping that up although, instinctively, it's a waste to me because I'd rather comment here among the cognoscenti than type the same thing which will not be read in many people's news feeds and will have the permanence of fly fart.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  15. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I honestly don't even remember how I found this message board back in 2006. I think it was from a Google search, but I think I had to really dig and search to find a lacrosse (more specifically, a Toronto Rock) message board.

Then also the hard part was getting approved. My first username in January 2006 got approved but for some reason I was never allowed to post, so it wasn't until 3 months later that I made a new account and was immediately able to post.

16. swami24

Just in case you didn't know the history. There was a MB on the league site in the 90s. But, i guess they didnt like reading any negative comments:oops:. They shut it down, but RA had his Outsiders guide, with a board. JSAP created Winszone. People liked the interface better, so people moved off of the Outsiders guide. Several iterations later, here we be.

Finding it was all word of mouth back then.

dougm likes this.
  17. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

For me, I think I was initially somewhat turned off by this being "WingsZone" because I thought it was a Wings specific board that just happened to have some discussion of other teams. Then I realized it was the place to visit for all NLL talk, not just the Wings even if they had the most fans on here.

Crazy how joining this board 11 years greatly impacted my social life considering how many people from here I've met in real life now and how many I talk to rather regularly outside of this forum....

18. Snider4theWin

Snider4theWin Member

I stumbled across the forums around 03 when I started going to games as a way to know away game scores as Pointstreak didn't exist yet and nll.com was downright awful I finally resisted Hollywood42 march of 05

19. swami24

Wow, you must be a genius, being able to create a user name in 03 for Snider, who didn't get drafted until 06. That is some seriously excellent anticipation.

BanditsRock11, dougm and RockStar like this.
  20. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Geoff Snider was drafted by the Vancouver Ravens in 2001 but decided to go to U of Denver instead. Then he was drafted again in 2006 by the Wings. I'm sure Mr. SniderForTheWin remembered him from the 2001 draft.