2017 NCAA Statistician's Manual

Discussion in 'NCAA Lacrosse Forum' started by Vin, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

I find this very interesting... I wonder if the NLL computes these statistics and in the same way...
    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Lacrosse/mlax17.pdf
    I would think that the NLL does although I have never seen this statistic before:

Article 10. Clearing Percentage

Clearing Pct.=

Successful Clears

(Successful Clears + Failed Clears)

2. Vin

Vin Active Member

I wish the NLL published something like that either as part of the Media Guide or as something else entirely.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Does the NLL clarify who gets credited for a turnover? So if Brett Hickey takes a shot that gets stopped by the goalie and scooped up by a defender on the other team, does he get credited for a turnover?

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

this is all stuff that a good rulebook would include.

I hold out hope that one day this idiot league will have a good rulebook. They have improved, and I like to think that some of our analysis and ridicule here have helped.

5. AmericanRockFan

Maybe this forum should just write a rulebook for the league based on our observations of the league's rules.....

6. Vin

Vin Active Member

You know, it has helped.

I am sure the comments from others have contributed, but I know that when I first joined here 15 years ago, I had mentioned that there was no real media guide or rule book available. For instance, what was bothering me the most at the time was not knowing exactly what various referee signals meant. They eventually put the rule book online and included ref signals in the media guide which they improved significantly.

I know that I had some other comments that were adopted but some applied to earlier incarnations of this site; for instance, links to local newspapers so we could see how the local press was covering our teams. Same historical data since I feel that is vital to serious fandom. I am very glad to see that the current commissioner appreciates databases although I am a little concerned that is appreciation is more for a database of contact info than of game and player data.

7. RockStar

why bother? Labranche will just make up a penalty that doesn't exist and assess it to a guy who commits a borderline foul late in a close game

8. AmericanRockFan

Then we can add that new one to the rulebook :)

RockStar likes this.
  9. Vin

Vin Active Member

LOL!

I'm not saying it's a bad call - it wasn't - but I am reminded of that call on Tavares' game-tying last-second playoff goal that got waived off for a crease violation - by Kelusky, I believe - thus ending the Bandits season. I think the opponent was Toronto... 2011 East Division Final, right?

10. AmericanRockFan

Must've been 2010 because Tavares didn't play in the 2011 East Division Final. Plus the Bandits didn't have a last-second goal called off in that game either come to think of it :p

11. Vin

Vin Active Member

It may not have been against Toronto... I am fairly certain though that it was 2011 because it was after 2009. In 2011, Bandits did lose to Toronto at home by a goal... Maybe 2012 in the East Division Semis... Yeah, that was likely it. For the life of me, I can't find a box score on the web although I did not look at NLL.com itself.

EDIT: I am at NLL.com and looking at the box score... what do I see?
    Crew Chief: Todd Labranche

Too bad, unpenalized calls don't make it in a game sheet.

12. Vin

Vin Active Member

LOL... Looking at the boxscore of the 2014 East Division Semifinals in Toronto... I see this:

4th Quarter
    Toronto - Bill Greer - (Holding), 2 min, 14:53
    Toronto - Damon Edwards - (Misconduct Misconduct), 10 min, 15:00
    Buffalo - Billy Dee Smith - (Misconduct Misconduct), 10 min, 15:00
    Buffalo - Billy Dee Smith - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct Misconduct), 10 min, 15:00

So, the Bandits were on PP those last seconds and, with the Bandits having that stay-alive goal waived-off, the heartbreaking loss evidently led to hostilities.

Just wondering... How did BDS serve those penalties when the season just ended?

13. Vin

Vin Active Member

RockStar likes this.
  14. RockStar

A slightly happy memory. They beat Buffalo in 2012, and then had their ass handed to them by, I believe, Rochester in the divisional final

15. Vin

Vin Active Member

Yep, it was 7-9 Rochester... that was the "Joke Season" because a 7-9 team played a 6-10 8th seed Rush team in the finals...
    Of course, it turned out not to be a joke because those are the only two teams that have won the past 5 championships and likely to win the 6th.

16. AmericanRockFan

Watching that game on CBS Sports from my couch is one of my worst lacrosse memories ever.... At least I felt somewhat vindicated in 2015 when the Rock ran the Knighthawks over in the mini game to advance to the finals.

RockStar likes this.
  17. RockStar

Will you bet on Rochester winning? ;)

If they do win, credit the team be the biggest sandbagging job in league history !

18. Vin

Vin Active Member

No, but I would not be surprised if Saskatchewan repeats. A Georgia - Saskatchewan final would be interesting.