2017 NLL Finals

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Is it me, or is this Game 1 NLLTV feed from Georgia really sh*tty?

I had to switch to Twitter....

2. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

ARDMORE AARDVARK FORGOT TWITTER WAS BROADCASTING THIS HOT ****.... I OUGHTA CHANGE MY SOURCE OF NLL BROADCAST APPARENTLY.

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?!

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Please tell me we aren't going to have a wardrobe malfunction....

4. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

Really happy with this outcome. I feel like Rush fans have gotten a little too cocky over the past couple months. Good for them to see their team isn't indestructible.

5. It was in the first half, I went over to Twitter as well, but second half on NLLTV was better!! Great game!!

6. Amen!!!!! Coach Keenan saying "no way they gonna get 18 plus goals on us" - sure showed him. The Rush and the Sask fans (the new ones who only beccame fans with a winning team) are way too cocky. I so want Georgia Swarm to take this Cup, they so deserve it with all they have been through. However, on another note, the last team that was a 3peat winner tanked right after and missed the playoffs for 2 years after that and that shut down that arrogance!! We knew this was gonna be a great series!!

7. unspoken

unspoken Member

Once again Todd Labranche strikes again. If Jordan MacIntosh is properly assessed a 5 minute penalty for his cross check to the back of the head of Mike Messenger (actually should be a match according to the rulebook) then this game is very different.

Georgia is getting away with murder with respect to head shots in these playoffs.

8. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

they only call majors when a 5'7" Toronto Rock bag of bones shoulders a much larger player. :rolleyes:

GA are this year's golden boys

9. unspoken

unspoken Member

Yep. Georgia got away with at least one in the Toronto series that I can remember.

This same crew no-called a couple of bad high sticks taken by Adam Jones and Callum Crawford in game 2 of the Mammoth/Rush series. I'm starting to think that Labranche will only call a match if the receiving player is decapitated.

10. There were calls missed both ways, tripping by Matthews, high hit only a 2, gotta remember Sorichetti got away with a high stick/major penalty in the last Mammoth game - got added on after the game - but that is not when it counts. Seems both sides had some wins and loses in the ref calling it category.

11. unspoken

unspoken Member

And I called out the Sorichetti high stick on Callum Crawford that he got away with in the very post you quoted.

Bryan Cole got away with a blindside high stick on Gamble in game 1 of the Toronto/Georgia series. He got 2 for elbowing instead of the 5 he should have got. His elbows were nowhere near Gamble's head.

If you look at the rulebook, under rule 77 (which is attached), there are six criteria listed for what should be called as a match penalty for dangerous contact to the head. Not all have to be present but it's some things which should be considered. MacIntosh's hit on Messenger met five of those six criteria for a match, yet idiot Labranche gives him a measly 2.

No attempt to play the ball - check
    Upwards motion - check
    Distance travelled - check. MacIntosh came from the opposite corner at full speed.
    Weight transfer - check. He leaned hard into that cross check.
    Vision - considering it was to the back of the head, Messenger had no vision. So another check.

Garbage hits like this need to be called as the rulebook states, not like some two minute minor, or the players will keep taking liberties. The league claims to be cracking down on head contact but the Labranche/Garrison ref crew has proven that that's nothing but talk with the way they've no called or undercalled these hits in these playoffs. Every one of the four examples I have given was in a game they were reffing. How they're still getting the calls to ref the games is beyond me.

Attached Files:

12. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I missed Georgia's 5th goal and its replay. I know it was challenged. What was the issue? I remember the announcers were surprised.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Again, the AJC actually cares now complete with an actual writer, pictures, and analysis....
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/swarm-opens-nll-finals-with-win/mspfmes2RxNQxV8xe9m1aJ/

Swarm opens NLL finals with 18-14 win
    Jeff Haws - For the AJC
    8:42 p.m Sunday, June 4, 2017 Filed in Sports

[​IMG]
    Georgia Swarm forward Jordan Hall scores in the first half against Saskatchewan in Sunday’s first game of the National Lacrosse League finals in the Infinite Energy Arena. The Swarm won 18-14 in the best-of-three series. (PHOTO CREDIT: Paul Sasso, MV Photo Concepts)

Stick with the game plan. Never let up.

That was the mantra for the Georgia Swarm after scoring seven straight goals spanning the third and fourth quarter to overcome a four-goal deficit en route to an 18-14 win over the Saskatchewan Rush at Infinite Energy Arena in Duluth on Sunday.

The victory in Game 1 of the National Lacrosse League Championship Cup finals series leaves the Swarm one win shy of winning the franchise’s first NLL title. They travel to Saskatchewan for Game 2 Saturday at 9:30 p.m. (EDT). Saskatchewan is the two-time defending NLL champion.

Five observations from Game 1:

Comebacks: The Swarm twice came back from large deficits, first from three goals down in the second quarter to tie 7-7, and then from four down in the third as part of an 11-2 run that turned a four-goal deficit into a five-goal lead late.

Swarm forward Jordan Hall said it was a matter of getting the game going in their direction and then keeping the pressure on.

“It was that momentum thing; you just start to feel it,” said Hall, who finished with a game-high five goals and eight total points. “(Forward) Shayne (Jackson) was just like, ‘Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go.’ And we just started getting after it. Don’t change it until it stops working.”

They certainly didn’t, keeping the same game plan throughout the second half until the Saskatchewan defense finally broke. Jackson was also a big part of the Georgia attack, scoring both of his goals in the second half and finishing with six points.

Saving the day: Georgia goaltender Mike Poulin entered the game with a league-leading .827 save percentage in the postseason. But in the first half, his inability to hold the Rush in check was a big part of why the visitors went into the locker room with a 9-7 lead

His first-half save percentage was only .609, well below both his regular-season number of .781.

But in the second half, Poulin was far more like himself, shutting down Saskatchewan for nearly 13 minutes from the third well into the fourth quarter and notching a second-half save percentage (.815) that nearly equaled his league-best overall postseason number

“I don’t think they had too many shots and I still gave up 14,” he said. “So it’s kind of a funny one. Our defense, down the stretch, was unbelievable for me. They gave me every opportunity to succeed. I just had to be the lucky guy in there, playing behind them.”

Lending the assist: The Swarm had no problems sharing the ball, amassing 29 assists on 18 goals. That was part of a constant sustained passing attack, moving the ball around the perimeter patiently while waiting for the right opening to appear. Very little was forced, especially during their big second-half run to take over the game.

Better late than never: In the third quarter, Georgia failed to score for the first nearly nine minutes, extending a scoreless drought that stretched more than 14 minutes and led to falling behind 11-7.

But starting with Hall’s goal with 6:01 left in the third quarter, the Swarm scored the final four goals of the quarter to tie the game 11-11 and then continued the pressure into the fourth quarter to extend a large lead. A combination of some impressive goal-keeping from Poulin and sticking with their aggressive offensive game plan helped push the momentum into their favor.

Powered Play: The biggest difference between the two teams in the first half may have been Saskatchewan’s ability to capitalize on its two power play opportunities. The Swarm not only failed in its one chance, but surrendered a shorthanded goal.

Both of those power play goals came off the stick of Mark Matthews. The first came with 2:16 left in the first quarter, tying the game at 3-3. Matthews followed that with another strike with less than 10 seconds left in the period, handing Saskatchewan its first lead headed into the first intermission, 4-3.

The Rush added two more power play goals in the second half to give Georgia something to work on going into Game 2.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

As usual, the Gwinnett Daily Post does a good job. They, at least, recognize the asset they have in this team since Day One.
    http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/professional/swarm/georgia-swarm-rally-to-beat-saskatchewan-in-game-of-champions/article_a331718d-68e2-57f2-ab1e-207ce9690821.html

Georgia Swarm rally to beat Saskatchewan in Game 1 of Champions Cup
    By Paul Thomas
    paul.thomas@gwinnettdailypost.com 6 hrs ago

[​IMG]
    Georgia Swarm forward Kiel Matisz (46) celebrates a goal with Johnny Powless (93) and Lyle Thompson (4) against the Saskatchewan Rush in Game 1 of the NLL Champions Cup at Infinite Energy Arena in Duluth. (Photo: Kyle Hess)
    [VIN: The above is only the first of 12 good photos of the game. Go to the website for the rest which are in a photo carousel.]

DULUTH — Midway through the third quarter, the Georgia Swarm trailed Saskatchewan by four goals in Game 1 of the NLL Champions Cup.

Then the Swarm turned the tide on the two-time defending champs. Georgia scored seven straight goals to take a lead it wouldn’t relinquish in an 18-14 victory in front 7,642 fans, who weren't treated to just a win, but a halftime concert from Ludacris as well at Infinite Energy Arena.

Game 2 in the best-of-three series is set for June 10 at 9:30 p.m. in Saskatchewan. If necessary, Game 3 would be at 5:05 p.m. June 18 back in Duluth.

Veterans Jordan Hall and Shayne Jackson led the comeback for the Swarm. Hall had five goals and three assists on the night, while Jackson had two goals with four assists.

“I think it was just about sticking with it,” Jackson said. “We didn’t really change anything. I thought we played pretty good in the first half. It was just about fixing little mistakes and tightening up a little bit and I thought we did a good job of that in the second half.”

During the Swarm’s seven-goal run, Hall scored twice and netted two assists. He began the run with a diving goal with 6:01 remaining in the third quarter.

After a Kiel Matisz (3 goals, 2 assists) goal, Hall then had two straight assists to Jackson to even the score at 11 all entering the fourth quarter. Hall scored first to open the fourth quarter and Randy Staats and Miles Thompson followed with two more for a 14-11 lead.

“I think with (Saskatchewan) you’ve just got to keep your feet moving,” Hall said. “(The Rush) play a system that if you get them moving a little bit, they kind of get lost just a little bit. We knew that going in, that was the game plan. I just tried to keep my feet moving and luckily guys were hitting me when I was open.”

The Rush stopped the bleeding with a 6-on-5 for Adam Jones’ third goal of the game, followed by Mark Matthews’ third power-play goal to make it 14-12. Matthews also had four assists.

Georgia was able to put together one more offensive run with four straight goals from Miles Thompson, Matisz, Hall and an empty netter from Bryan Cole. Jeremy Thompson (brother to Georgia’s Jerome, Miles and Lyle Thompson) scored the Rush’s final goal for his third goal of the night.

Georgia’s defense gave up just five goals in the second half. Goalie Mike Poulin made 36 saves on 50 shots.

The Swarm were able to force 28 turnovers in the game, including several key stops by forwards in transition to keep the ball on the offensive end.

“I thought defensively Mike Poulin made some big saves,” Swarm head coach Ed Comeau said. “He settled in. (The Rush have) got some great players, we knew they were going to score goals on us. I think they scored four power plays, two 6-on-5s and a couple transitions, but I think 5-on-5 we did a great job on both ends of the floor.”

Staats finished with two goals and three assists, Johnny Powless had two goals with three assists and Miles Thompson had two goals and two assists.

Robert Church had seven points for Saskatchewan with two goals and five assists and goalie Aaron Bold had 36 saves on 53 shots.

“We know they’re going to make some adjustments and they play great at home,” Comeau said. “I think they were 9-1 at home this year and it’s a hostile environment. They came and played in the Hive and we’re going to a hornet’s nest. We know it will be tough there, but we’re just going to take that game and see what happens.”

Notes: Only three of the four Thompson brothers were active for Game 1, with Georgia’s Jerome Thompson not active Sunday. Dan Taylor was inactive for Saskatchewan.

15. unspoken

unspoken Member

That was Saskatchewan's short handed goal by Adam Jones. It was called a crease violation on the initial call and challenged by the Rush. The announce team decided to go to Rochester levels of homer announcing and declare it 100% no goal saying Jones stepped in the crease. Then another angle clearly showed green between his foot and the crease line, so then their excuse changed to "Jones' body hit the turf before the ball hit the back of the net" which it doesn't have to hit the back of the net, just cross the goal line.

Downright embarassing performance by the announce team. Other examples of their idiocy:

-Multiple instances of saying "save by Rush" when Bold would make a save as though his last name was Rush. Bold isn't a difficult name to remember.
    -apparently Mark Matthews was the only lefty to play for the Rush for pretty much the whole first half since they kept on calling Adam Jones as Matthews on multiple occasions. Because distinguishing between a 6 foot 5 guy wearing number 42 and a 5 foot 8 guy wearing number 19 is difficult.
    -multiple instances of calling them Edmonton instead of Saskatchewan. It's been two years already.
    -not knowing that it's a delay of game penalty to hit the opposing player carrying the ball or attempting to pick it up after going through the crease.
    -calling Matthews' disallowed goal as a crease violation when in reality, it was because he batted/poked the loose ball in which isn't allowed.
    -pronouncing Brett Mydske's name as Miss-Dyke. It's pronounced Mid-Skee.
    -accusing Mike Messenger of faking it when he just took a cross check to the back of the head from Jordan MacIntosh who came at him with a full head of steam from across the floor.

If it does go to game 3, I really hope the league sends in the Toronto crew or Teddy Jenner and someone else to call the game, because the Georgia crew was an embarrassment to the league.

smurf666 likes this.
  16. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

The 'save by Rush' bugged the **** out of me too - lazy announcing. So did 'Off ball push' and the 'ground ball' comments. Need Box guys calling the game IMO.

FWIW I could only get a solid feed/stream on twitter.

17. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

if it was the same play by play guy as for the Toronto playoff game, he was effing awful. Only that Ben D Mitchell guy would declare it good.

18. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK TURNED IT OFF AFTER THE THIRD PERIOD TO WATCH A REAL SPORT, PRO WRESTLING, BUT I WAS THOROUGHLY ENTERTAINED BY THE THIRD PERIOD OF THE NLL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.... MIND YOU, IT WAS ALSO THE ONLY PERIOD I COULD WATCH SANS BIZARRE BUFFERING ISSUES.

19. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Great comeback by the Swarm. So far, it looks like the good O is better than the good D. The Swarm ran some plays that had the Rush a step behind all night and if half of the Swarm's shots that hit posts and crossbars went in, they easily put up 20 against the best D in the league.

The McIntosh 5 minute high stick call was justified. It could have been the Swarm's Billy D Smith moment but they had a big enough lead at that point. It took the announcers long enough to realize that the goal the Rush scored during the delayed whistle counted as 1 of the 2 goals on the 5 minute major.

20. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Where are the crowd pics? Did they actually get 7,000 plus to attend? Wondering how many left after the "concert"?