2017 NLL Playoffs

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, May 6, 2017.

1. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

the defense is solid and the righties are ok, even without Hellyer, so that's a couple in Sawyer's favor.

to me, the big strike against Sawyer is that he has not already replaced Manning......but, things looked ok for the first 10-12 games, and a mid season shakeup might not have made a significant difference.

fudge it, need a trade to get Staats, and then the o coach becomes less relevant;)

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have axed Manning if I was Sawyer. Things were clicking far enough into the season that the bumps in the road they hit late in the year looked like they could've been a one-off or a slump. Plus on top of that, I didn't even have that high of expectations for this team or the offense entering the season with Hellyer being gone for the year.

I'm not qualified to pick a coach either, but I'd like to see a new offense coach with Manning being given some sort of consulting gig if he's interested. One, because I'm sure he does have valuable knowledge to pass on, and two because I don't want to hear about the Rock pissing off more alumni than they already have (see: Veltman, Jim).

3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Don't tease the wildlife!

An Orangeville-centric team, recruiting a player from Six Nations? Georgia, being stupid enough to hand Staats to a division rival? The Rock, having tradeable assets, when you rule out players they'd want to keep and aging, injury prone d-men? Not much promise here. Maybe Staats would want to play closer to home and ask for the trade -- no, I can't let myself pretend this would ever happen.

smurf666 likes this.
  4. AmericanRockFan

I'm probably being a tad ignorant, but other than the Squire brothers have the Rock had other natives on the team in the past? I honestly never pay attention to a player's race, but looking back on it I really can't think of any natives playing for the Rock other than Kim and Rodd.

5. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I'd like to see Manning gone in the off-season, though I do agree it was the correct decision to keep him this year.

Manning showed some promise early on but when the league adjusted to his strategies, the O started to disappear for 20-25 minutes a game, sometimes more. I haven't seen Manning make an effective adjustment, except one game against the Bandits, who were prone to implosion this year. I'd prefer a coach with an ability to shake things up when needed.

My fear's that Rock management will assume Hellyer solves the late season O problems and do nothing to bolster the left side attack and/or coaching situation, meaning the same thing happens next year. The Rock get a hot start but fade as teams adjust.

6. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

This whole playoffs is a waste of time, let's just get to what everyone wants to see, the two best teams in the finals and get on with it.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Tom Montour comes to mind. Stewart Monture was picked up 2003/04ish, but I'm not sure how much playing time he got, if any.

8. AmericanRockFan

Ah yes, I forgot about Tom Montour. I've never even heard of Stewart Monture, so I don't think he got any playing time at all.

9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Five weeks of playoffs for a fringe sport with nine teams is ridiculous. Too bad the NLL wants to bleed money learning that lesson the hard way.

10. AmericanRockFan

While I do agree that the playoffs are dragged out for way too long, would people rather the first and second rounds be one and done, then the finals be a best of three? I'd be okay with that scenario, although I really do miss the whole playoffs being one and done. It just made everything, including the finals, feel far more important.

11. AmericanRockFan

And while you're lurking on here, where on earth did you find your avatar?

12. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I googled crocodile lax.

13. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Roger Vyse got into a few games a while back.

one time favourite Kim Squire got a look in preseason fairly recently as well, and, I think he even got a couple goals, but, they decided to go younger.

other than that, not a lot. Squire Bros. and Montour were the only regular starters that I can remember.

that's why I was sort of hoping for a Nations GM......i dont want them to dump Orangeville completely and build an all Native team, but, it would be nice if Toronto was a place that some of that stellar Nations-Onondaga- Akwesasne talent wanted to play

14. AmericanRockFan

I forgot Vyse made a cameo with the Rock in 2013 as well. That was around the time I was moving out of state, so I lost touch with the NLL for a little while.

15. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

This guy didn't need any elax after this crocodile encounter.

16. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

There have only ever been five. Vyse (3 games), R. Squire (41 games with the Rock and Raiders), K. Squire (58 games with the Rock and Raiders), Tom Montour (6 games), and Jason Henhawk (1 game).

17. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

yeah, I thought I remembered Henhawk but did not get a chance to look him up.

18. AmericanRockFan

I remember being excited for Henhawk's arrival in Toronto. Then.....he was scratched a bunch, played 1 game and was never seen again.

19. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

I wish I'd left the Mammoth game after the 3rd quarter ended. :oops:

20. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I was pulling for the Mammoth too and disappointed to see a one sided beating. The Rush deserve their success, as did the Knighthawks before them. But dynasties bore the hell out of me. By default, the Rush are now my second favourite team. Everyone else is number one.

Whatever my qualms, the Rush play damned good lacrosse and if the expected Swarm-Rush final emerges, maybe we'll see an entertaining final where the outcome isn't a foregone conclusion.

Hopefully, we'll someday have a league with four or five realistic contenders for the championship, making it hard to call the final months in advance. Why watch if there's no suspense about outcomes?