2018-2019 Schedule

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Is there a release date yet for the new schedule?

2. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

H42 says friday.

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Tomorrow or Friday

4. unspoken

unspoken Member

The Rush are teasing a big announcement on their social media for tomorrow so this could be it.

5. liveone

liveone Member

Just got a message from my BW ticket rep that said they were announcing it later today.

6. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Ohboyohboyohboy!

7. liveone

liveone Member

Wow... Wolves get 4 games against Rochester, 3 against Georgia, Toronto and Buffalo, and ZERO against Philly. Now that's balanced!

8. swami24

Bwolves play in philly twice.

9. liveone

liveone Member

Ha! Even better... apparently the schedule the Wolves put out is incorrect. None of the games mentioned in the press release appear on the schedule they linked.

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

They only have Buffalo once even though the Bandits schedule shows them playing the Wolves twice. The Wolves are missing the April 20th date in Buffalo.

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/blackwolves/black-wolves-2018-19-team-schedule-1

It also has the Wolves playing on April 21 and 29 while the NLL schedule ends April 20. The interns in the Wolves office messed this up bigly!

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Interesting....

The schedule has been announced, but the new name for the Vancouver Stealth has NOT been announced.

The stealthlax.com website does not appear updated with the NLL schedule and actually seems to be something of a vestigial website.

This makes me wonder what website Canucks Sports & Entertainment (new Vancouver NLL owners) are going to use for their new site and when is it going to be up...

My guess is that they will announce it along with the Halifax news next week.

EDIT:

On the NLL Schedule page
    http://www.nll.com/schedule/
    it still says Vancouver Stealth, but "no logo".

On the Vancouver team's page
    http://www.nll.com/teams/vancouver/
    there is no team name.

This is the interim website that the Canucks are using...
    https://www.nhl.com/canucks/info/lacrosse

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  12. StuMassey

StuMassey Member

Looks like a well balanced schedule to me. Every team plays each other at least once. 21 Weeks... not bad.

Almost every team in the East has 2 weeks with back to back games New England is the exception.

Nearly all the West teams plays 1 week with back to back games except for San Deigo with 2 weeks. Calgary is the only one with a day rest in between on their double week.

I guess that means teams get 4 or 5 bye weeks during the season depending on how many back to back they get... Looks that way from my quick peek at say Buffalo (Byes 4,7,14,18,20)

Stu

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  13. swami24

Of course, it is stealthy reveal.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

It occurred to me last night.
    Just before the reveal, the league and/or Canucks will file for a trademark. If we stay on top of that, we can determine what the new name and logo will be. It's gotta happen soon now that the schedule is out although I can believe that they might wait until the first home game of the Canucks and announce it at the game to help drive up ticket sales. This would be somewhat akin to what Colorado when the Washington Power moved in the summer of 2002. If you recall, they had a demo game at the end of an Avalanche game.

15. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

Why does everything need to be leaked these days, cant we just sit and wait for the name and logo to be announced like good boys and girls?

Two things that stuck out to me right away: Wings home opener Saturday at 1pm and that both Seals and Wings host Bandits in inaugural game.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

No.

Part of being "super fans", or whatever you want to call us, involves being interested in the sports business aspect of a league and its franchises and players. (Look at the NFL and, soon, the NBA which is essentially a year-round sports news generator.) As such fans, we have an emotional stake in everything that happens to the teams and leagues that we love.

With the NLL, our league is rather dynamic compared to the Big 4. In the Big 4, when was there last a franchise move or ownership change? So, when there are changes in the NLL, it is of vast interest to us.... and not just us fans, but also the front offices. (*)

Every move that the league makes is interesting and indirectly signals either actions and/or mistakes in the front offices. The reliability and systems engineer in me is constantly scrutinizing what is going on and looking for what is coming down the pike, so to speak.

Really, is wondering about logos and team names significantly any different than being armchair GMs and wondering about drafts and trades? No, not really because, in the end, we are simply wondering about the future of the teams that we love.

For me, it's all like a puzzle and, frankly, I am happy to make predictions that come true, but also enjoy and learn from my mistakes.

EDIT:
    (*) And they DO come here (and probably other places) to see what we hardcores have to say about what is going on because they know that:
    1. We actually do care.
    2. We are not ignorant newbies.
    3. We have ideas that, occasionally, do get adopted.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    swami24 likes this.
  17. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  18. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

Vin a few things,

The last moves in the big 4 with out thinking abou it: San Diego and St Louis to LA. CArolina Panthers are under new ownership this year. Bills are a few years under new owner ship. Raiders moving to Vegas. Vegas Golden Knights. Thats off the top of my head putting no thought into it.

as for this

"Really, is wondering about logos and team names significantly any different than being armchair GMs and wondering about drafts and trades? No, not really because, in the end. we are simply wondering about the future of the teams that we love.

For me, it's all like a puzzle and, frankly, I am happy to make predictions that come true, but also enjoy and learn from my mistakes."

I am all for that. I am passionate about sports logos and jerseys, I frequent sportslogos.net. But its not wondering, or predicting anything if you are looking things up and leaking them for everyone before the team announces it. Just kind of ruining it to say you knew first.

Like this big announcement Halifax is making, its not even exciting because it was already leaked here. Would have been exciting to see that article and be caught off guard and we would be discussing it here, but it was leaked here months ago and then nothing for months and now its confirmed.

To each their own, but for me I like to wait for the official announcement, leaking it is like snooping for Chirstmas presents and knowing what you have on Chistmas day.

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I am reminded of June 1984.

That's when Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was released.

In the trailer, we see the Enterprise blow-up even though we are never really 100% that it's the Enterprise. (That's because, in the trailer, we don't see the "naval construction code", NCC-1701, or the ship name when the explosion happens.)

Modern Star Trek fans - those who don't remember 34 years ago - felt that seeing the Enterprise explode was a mistake to have been put in the trailer for similar reasons that you have for Halifax.

Back to ST3, we were not certain it was the Enterprise exploding in the trailer although we did expect it. But that didn't make me want to see that movie any less. It wasn't a spoiler (we didn't use that term in 1984) and I saw that movie on the first showing of the first day to avoid reading reviews.

In the theater, when we actually see the Enterprise explode, we were all silent realizing we were witnessing history. Star Trek "went there" by actually destroying the Enterprise. We were all sucked into the story thinking "Well, how the eff is Kirk going to get us out of this one?"

Anyway, it didn't matter that we may have known from the trailer that the Enterprise would be destroyed. We still didn't know the story (such as how/why the Enterprise was destroyed) and that was the important part.

So, by comparison, is it really a big deal that we already know there will be a Halifax NLL team?
    We don't know with 100% even if we strongly expect it.
    But, more so, what's the story?
    • Are the KHawks going to be relocated?
    • Who is the owner going to be?
    • If the KHawks are moving, is Styres going to be the owner or is he selling?
    • When is this franchise going to come online?
    • This will be the FIRST franchise in the Atlantic Time Zone!
    There are all sorts of questions to be answered and wondering about it is exciting.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  20. swami24

You need a way to pull off a Vulcan mind meld on Styres.