2018 Mann Cup

Discussion in 'OLA Forum' started by BigDave, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Games are in Peterborough as follows:

9/7 8p
    9/8 7p
    9/10 8p
    9/11 8p
    9/12 8p
    9/14 8p
    9/15 7p

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

These are on PPV?

3. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Go Burrards

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

there is PPV, I think the lacrosse TV guys are doing it.

Big Dave making the trip for Saturday??

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

As much as I love lacrosse and wanna check out the Mann Cup, I'll just catch some highlights. If I had some local lax loving friends to watch games with here then I'd pay the $10/game to check it out, but.... $70 for the series is a bit much for my level of lax love. If there's a Game 7, then I'll get that one.

6. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Nope

7. RockStar

Maple Ridge made it interesting in game 1, but got shttpumped last night....10-1.

Day off to collect their thoughts, but, this might be over by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Glad I didn't bother making the trip. Guess I might go Tuesday if it's a knockout game.

8. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

What the hell happened?

MR was getting blown out and then decided to use the Darris Kilgour game plan?

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yeah, lacrosse-tv.com.
    $10/game PPV.

10. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

Man, glad I didn't drop any money on the Mann Cup this year.

If MR actually forces a Game 5 I'll be very surprised.

11. RockStar

And, the verdict is, I am not going.

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The Lakers are basically the NE Patriots of the MSL. They start Doug Buchan for most of the season and they win 1st place. They then alternate Vinc and Kirk with Buchan once or twice and they make the Mann Cup. The scoring comes from all sides and the defense is solid. One guy sits and there are three more equally talented guys who can step in.

If I was a hardcore fan of the other 5 MSL teams, I would be hoping against hope that the Lakers don't play at all next year due to the arena renovations that are on the drawing board.

13. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I'
    I'm torn by Peterborough. Their level of success is admirable. But I'm sick of their face in the provincial final/Mann Cup. They deserve to be there; it's just sad that the only real question about the season is "who gets to play Peterborough in the final?" Snore. Anyway, yes, for the sake of the other teams, I kind of hope Peterborough's out for the 2019 season. They can regain their crown in 2020.

14. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

Imagine paying $40 and change to watch a sweep on PPV.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I can understand your exasperation but, really, "The Lake Show" is practically an NLL All-Star team. Besides, take a look at the attendance in the other MSL arenas. The average is less than 1000 all the other arenas, while Peterborough's average is almost a sell-out. Given the anemic attendance in some NLL arenas in years past, Peterborough could have been in the NLL... of course though their players all play for other NLL teams...

Forgetting that, wouldn't you WANT a highly attended Mann Cup?

Anyway, congrats on Peterborough's sweep! First Mann Cup sweep in many years...

16. CrocodileLax

The 2019 cup will happen out west. Victoria has a prayer of drawing great numbers if they get in. So Peterborough's absence might not affect Mann Cup attendance at all. In fact, it may spread players around so the games become more exciting and competitive.

My real problem isn't with the Lakers. I wish the CLA would clamp down on player transfers to help prevent monopolies. That ain't happening.

I commend Peterborough for being the only summer Ontario team that draws good numbers, and their continued drive to recruit elite players -- they're taking advantage of a system they didn't create. 2020 will roll around soon enough and they'll be sure to take their automatic place in the final.

All I have left to cheer for is one measly season without the Lakers around to scoop players. They deserve to win -- it's also gotten so mind-numbing and boring and I didn't even bother to watch this year.

How can the game grow if die hard fans are so sick of one team they avoid the entire Mann Cup?

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Just two things:
    1. There was some discussion about MSL dominating WLA in the Mann Cup when it is hosted in Ontario but that the MSL teams (likely Peterborough mostly) do have success against the WLA teams when the Mann Cup is hosted in BC.

2. This sort of complaining about fans being sick of one team (or person or conference) has been going on since long before we were born. Think of the Yankees or the Celtics or the Canadiens. Think of Martina Navratilova. Think of the NFC (*). In all these cases, various people complained that something should change so these eras of dominance do not last forever... But they never do anyway. Look at Tiger Woods and Serena Williams... Like Martina, they will fade away. When is the last time the Yankees won the World Series? 2009. Canadiens? 1979.
      Etc. So, if Peterborough is dominant now, fine, it is. Embrace this era of history. It won't be forever.
    (*) The NFC was winning so many Super Bowls, some football fans wanted the Super Bowl to change so that it could include two teams from the same conference.

18. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Cup

Last 5 Mann cup champions:
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Six Nations
    Victoria
    Six Nations

Last 10?
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Six Nations
    Victoria
    Six Nations
    Six Nations
    Peterborough
    Brampton
    Peterborough
    Brampton

Totals: 5 years / 10 years
    Peterborough (2)/(4)
    Six Nations (2)/(3)
    Victoria (1)/(1)
    Brampton (0)/(2)

seems alot more competitive then its made out to be.
    also keep in mind Peterborough was taken to games 7 in series 1 (Brooklin almost pulled off the reverse sweep) and game 6 in series 2 of the OLA playoffs it really is anyones game in Ontario

19. CrocodileLax

My point was about Mann Cup attendance, not the likely winner. I don't think a Lakerless final will be poorly attended on the west coast. Their absence won't be felt at the box office, though it may certainly change the eventual champion.

I agree wholeheartedly that times will change and a new dominant power will emerge. Brampton, Victoria, New Westminster and even previous eras of Peterborough have all had dynasties crumble. And the dynasty is more at the provincial level; different teams have managed Mann Cup wins in recent history and there have even been Laker free finals.

They're a great team, they should be champions. But I've already spent 10 years waiting for the end (provincially). Screw it. I'll watch again when the Lakers success dries up, however long it takes. Or next year, if they're on hiatus. Why waste anymore of my time until they finally crumble? It's boring.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  20. CrocodileLax

I'm also including the provincial final.