2018 Mann Cup

Discussion in 'OLA Forum' started by BigDave, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I would just be happy if all of the CLA Senior A teams could average over 3000 during the season. In the Lower Mainland, I can imagine that might be tough given the proximity of so many WLA teams. In the MSL, it's spread out a bit better.

2. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Agreed!

The question is how to get attendance up. If I had my druthers, I'd eliminate one team each from MSL and the WLA and let folks draft players from the defunct teams (provincial champions pick last). I'd also shorten the regular season to 8 games or so (1 home game and 1 road game against every remaining team). Player could only be playoff eligible if the competed in 4 or more games (injuries would have to be considered on a case by case basis). Top two teams in regular season advance. Playoffs occur as usual.

This way, all games matter, players have less of a time commitment and something's done to level the playing field. Raising the stakes may produce far better games and give fans a reason to show up -- most teams see a spike in attendance come play off time. Fans will come if there's something to see. My two cents.

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, I was looking into the numbers and, for most CLA Senior A teams, the arena capacities are mostly under 3000. The #1 arena capacity is Langley's LEC with over 5000. Still, for most teams, they are still under 50% capacity. I was looking at Oakville Rock tix... Season pass for 9 games was only $50. $50! For 9 games! How can you beat that for what is essentially NLL-quality play? Yet, the Burnaby Lakers averaged 78 .... yes, 78 .... people in attendance per game this past season. WTF!

Part of the problem is lack of respect / marketing. While there is OLA for MSL and BCLA for WLA, CLA is not a true unifier. It reminds me of MLB when the AL and NL were truly separate leagues a century ago. CLA probably isn't even a for-profit entity. I could go on and on, but part of the problem - as is the problem with all confederations - is the lack of unified vision and drive.

Anyway, I just wish lax would get more respect in Canada.

I know this young lady, 21, who just moved to Peterborough on Labour Day for a co-op job. I told her that she should go to a Mann Cup game while she had the chance. I understand that she is getting acclimated, but she lost an opportunity to see an amazing team/sport. I would have attended all the games had I had that opportunity. But likely a major reason she didn't go was lack of respect because of lack of knowledge. Then again, maybe lack of someone to go with, but she told me an office admin had "Go Lakers!" on their board yesterday morning, so my friend must've known at least one other person who is a fan and/or likely went.

IAmDroot likes this.
  4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

My summers are busier now that both kids are in various activities.

I don't even try to get to games until playoffs, and, even then, I don't go to more than one or two in the closest series.

I like to get to at least one game in the Mann final, especially when it is a WLA rep that I have never seen, but, this year just did not happen.....I had plans to get to game 4 or 5, but, lost interest after the 10-1 pasting.

Let's see if the 'borough even has a place to play next summer.

5. RockStar

Not since, I believe, 2012 when Brampton was last stacked.

6. RockStar

In some centres, the pointstreak operator / scorer jobs are not taken seriously......wondering if there is a bunch of games with a zero entry?

Some of these teams don't get many though......certainly not enough gate to fund most of operations.

7. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

the numbers dont lie . I never understand the lack of people in the stands for games in langley and burnaby especially.

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, doing a quick analysis yesterday, it looked like there may have been missing games not documented in Pointstreak's Attendance table. But, that said, I don't think 1 game missing is going to radically affect the average.

That Burnaby number is disturbing. That's like just the families of the players.

9. blake1827

blake1827 Member

Wasn't the near reverse sweep only because the Lakers had to forfeit a couple wins in that series?

10. RockStar

that forfeiting two games was another year.