2018 World Field Lacrosse Championships

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by CrocodileLax, Jul 15, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Field lax (and indoor lax, for that matter) in other parts of the world is just getting going. You could split up the US or Canada into other teams and they will still likely beat everyone else that's not the Iroquois.

Even if you put together an all-star team of the best players from anywhere that's not USA/Canada/Iroquois, that team still would not beat a USA/Canada/Iroquois team for at least the next 5-10 years. North American teams are miles beyond what another country can put out there and will be for some time to come.

2. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Honestly, I'd think if anything giving the US & Canada 4 teams would eliminate any other teams hopes of getting even a sniff of the Bronze outside of the Iroquois pretty much no matter how you split up the 2 US and 2 Canadian teams they are going to be better. the MLL All-Stars beat Team USA before the FILs started, granted that MLL team isn't all US players, but that just shows the level of talent in North America.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Splitting Canada/US would do little or nothing to boost anyone's hopes of silver or better, except maybe Iroquois.

This said, it would add a shipload more world-elite level matches to the tournament, and, maybe that's enough to justify it.

4. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

My full vision was to have 2 US teams and 2 Canadian teams in a single division; they duke it out in a round robin, with the top two teams competing in a 2 out of 3 division final. Every other country plays off as usual. The winner of the Canada/US pool meets the winner of the international pool.

It generates 5 or 6 good games and allows fresh blood in the final. At least one division becomes super competitive and worth watching.

Other options?

-Hold qualification tournaments in Canada and the US, dividing players amongst 6-8 regional teams in each country. The winner represents their respective countries and the talent pool gets diluted enough that Australia, England and the Iroquois have a chance.

-Create international development leagues that allow other countries to play yearly and learn from North American players/coaches.

My real point is that after 40+ years, this tournament remains a worthless bore. Without any major changes, FIL might as well have Team Canada and Team USA play every four years -- even the Iroquois aren't in their league.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Dunno about the Regional teams play-in tournament idea.

The OSMFLL champs would be a decent team, but, they'd probably get rolled up like a rug by a D1 final 4 team, or, like, the American core of an MLL team.

6. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Agreed, hence my idea for a division or some kind of developmental program.

Or maybe international teams could compete by continent/national affiliations. Could "Team Commonwealth" featuring the best of England/Australia and some Canadians who were cut from the Canadian team be competitive?

None of this will happen of course -- it's all blue sky spit ballin' spawned by a boring, almost unwatchable tournament. I think the real solution is to ignore the event completely, as most people do :)

RockStar likes this.
  7. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Ahh okay, I think I lumped in the split with making them also be in the Blue division or something someone said.