2019 Attendance

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AFedyk, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

This is another factor, too.

2. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Active Member

This is a really good point. Many of those MILL seasons had 4 or 5 home games vs. 9 today. I don't think we'll ever see anything like the 2009 Bandits again. 17,947 across 8 home games will be peak for a long time.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

2014 was the first year they played 9 home games so it's not like that's anything new. But, this is the first year that the Bandits added a playoff game to the season ticket package which automatically raised the season ticket package price for everyone. And seeing as there's no guarantee of a home playoff game, I can see how people could balk at that.

4. chuckster

To be fair, 2009 was coming off a championship season.

5. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

And the second loudest time was last night when Weiss and Rochester player tussled between 2 officials who were in very quickly. It was more the Rochester player grabbing Weiss facemask but it was the closest thing to a fight that sparred a loud "Lets Go Bandits" chant that couldn't get going during great game play. Maybe check that - the little kids game at halftime when half the crowd was at Concessions had a couple very loud cheers when the 5 and 6 year olds rocked each other with some solid hits.

Point being that the casual fans are going to respond to the hard hitting action than the skilled lacrosse plays. An educated lacrosse fan should still find the game exciting with the amount of skilled and crazy plays that happen in a game (great passes, highlight goals and saves) but those fans that can truly appreciate that is very limited.

Top this with longer seasons and poorly developed schedules. Take 3 games at home in a row through Christmas season and then a bunch of bye weeks later when things get heated will split the walk up crowds and casual fans.

The league is expanding but they really need to think about dropping a couple games and shortening the length of the season (too many bye weeks). A 14 -16 week season (where you play each week) is all that is needed - gives you 8 home games tops and then possible playoffs.

Add the ability to let some games play with allowing a bit more physicality (don't need fights) and attendance should be better.

Basically right now you are splitting too many gates with casual fans and losing some of the appeal of a hard nose game (not everything needs to be family friendly - for crying out oud most kids are going home after the game playing video games with fighting, etc). A few less games where you get more in the house and a little more hard nose lacrosse brings the excitement back in the buildings.

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I’m sure they at least refund you if there isn’t a home playoff game, right?

But if I’m a casual fan, I wouldn’t want to be forced to buy playoff games either. I have Amerks season tickets, and I wouldn’t want to be forced into buying playoff tickets. For the last few years, I haven’t even bothered buying them - if I wanna go to one that badly, I’ll just buy a single game ticket day of the game instead of committing to all of them.

7. chuckster

They state they will apply a credit for the amount to next year's season tickets but my experience when asking for a refund with the Bandits is that takes weeks to get the money back to your credit card (whereas it takes seconds for them to take the money from you). Personally, I'd rather get any money back than have Terry Pegula hold on to it.

8. AmericanRockFan

So there’s no chance of just getting a refund and it has to go onto next year’s season tickets? If so, that’s kinda crappy and would sway a young professional like myself from buying season tickets simply cause I’m not committed to living in western New York the rest of my life.

9. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Active Member

Even so, that was really impressive.

10. chuckster

No, you can get a refund, it just takes weeks to get the money back.

11. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Well-Known Member

The violence was what drew me to become interested in lacrosse because hockey was getting watered down and boring. Sadly lacrosse has since followed that route.

Even though the NLL product when the Ravens first came to town in 2001 was watered down compared to summerball back then, that earlier NLL product was still more entertaining to watch than what I have seen at games the past 7-8 years.

12. chuckster

FWIW because it's still early, the average league attendance is so far up over last year by almost 600 people. The biggest gains have been at the bottom with Georgia, NE and Rochester all above their numbers last year. What would be interesting to know is how much of those increases were the results of freebies just to get people back after the lockout.

The biggest losses are Sask, Colorado and Buffalo but the 1st games in Philly and downtown Vancouver are making up for those.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I would not look too deeply into any numbers right now. Wait another month when NFL season is over.

For instance, yesterday's (Sunday's) game in Colorado was in the afternoon during Wild Card Weekend and both Sunday games were big matchups for wild card games. Frankly, I was suprised the attendance was even 11k! It likely was STHers because it is hard to imagine much walk-up for yesterday.

What we do need to be concerned about is Toronto.

Honestly, I see Toronto being sold within 7 years to the Maple Leafs.

14. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Yeah the Bandits had played in what, 3 titles games in like 7 years in that span, and were always good, it makes huge difference when the team gets the winning vibe going for a few years and gets people to come out because it becomes a thing.

15. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

That's a very poor excuse given the Broncos did not make the playoffs. My guess is people have moved on and found other things to do instead of attending NLL games.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

No it's not.

You underestimate the nature of fandom.

Look at all of us who have B/R Live season pass subscriptions.
    We'll watch any NLL game and not just those of "our team".

In the NFL, it is even more serious; if it wasn't, then Thursday, Sunday, and Monday Night Football would not exist and be ratings winners for their networks. I watched all 4 NFL games this weekend. I did not stop watching the Sunday games to watch the NLL game yesterday although I would have if there was no NFL game.

Many fans are like me. Our fandom does not stop at the city limits or when our team's season is over. We are fans of our league.

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The real answer is that those were the years that I was there. ;)

18. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I'm not convinced MLSE would be interested. I do agree the Rock are in trouble business wise. If things don't change, even lasting 7 years seems doubtful.

19. AmericanRockFan

I don't think MLSE is chomping at the bit to add an NLL team to their portfolio, but I wouldn't see why they wouldn't have some degree of interest in buying the Rock at some point just to fill dates at the arena they own themselves. Similar to other owners, it'd just be something to put in their venue to fill up some dates. Granted, the argument you could make here is that it'd be hard to recoup the $75,000/night (or whatever it is) in rent that they're currently getting from Dawick, which could potential mean higher priced tickets to offset that, or cheaper tickets to get more people in the door who are willing to buy concessions and such.

But....don't you have some sort of mole in MLSE who leaks you info? o_O

20. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Former employee of MLSE and Bell Media who's now long gone. I point blank asked if MLSE had ever considered buying the Rock and you hit the nail on the head -- they'd lose the rental fee and inherit the operation costs.

Streaming and TV revenue are inconsequential; no incentive there.

I even asked about cheap tickets. The extra fans that come with such wouldn't cancel out the extra operation costs for the upper concession stands. Moreover, fans looking for lower cost sports don't tend to spend money for overpriced beer or food.

The Rock were seen as a very bad investment.

There's new blood in charge of MLSE so things might be different now. Dawick has to be bleeding money at this point. We'll have to have to see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019