20th Season Ideas...

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 17, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So, 2018 will be the Rock's 20th season, and it got me thinking about some things I'd like to see the Rock do to commemorate this:

• Make and sell a 20th anniversary DVD. Include highlights, or even complete games if you can, of the title games. Bring in the Bartley family, some of the original owners, and talk about how the Rock came to be. Talk about what brought them to Toronto, and how they took Maple Leaf Gardens by storm, and the fact they had a tv presence (didn't one of their games outdraw a Raptors game on television?). Talk about the championships, the dynasty days, the transition to the Air Canada Centre. Talk about Doyle's return, the change in ownership while giving a nod to the original ownership. The Rock have a glorious history, and this story needs to be available for the next wave of fans that may, or may not, be coming along.
    • New uniforms. Please, this is a must. I HATE the current uniforms because they're too closely tied to the Kloepfer era. Anything would be better, and I think they should wear their original jerseys as alternates, at home, at least 2-3 times this season.
    • Alumni reunions. Again, this has to be a thing, and it should go without saying that they should embrace the team's history during a notable season. Bring back as many of the championship era players as you can.
    • An exhibition game at the Mattamy Atheltic Centre. I know this is incredibly unlikely, BUT I think it'd be a cool idea. A single exhibition game at the MAC, in the building where the Rock began their journey back in 1999. From a nostalgic perspective, I think it'd be cool even though I doubt it would ever happen since there's no point in playing a game there when they can just play it at TRAC. I just feel like a cheap pre-season game in downtown would generate a little more buzz than having it at the training facility about 30-40 minutes outside of downtown.
    Any other ideas? Of the ones I posted here, the DVD and new uniforms is what I'd love to see the most.

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  2. AmericanRockFan

I was checking eBay today, and came up with more ideas:
    • A card set. I think a card set that commemorated the top 20-30 players in Rock history would be great. Some other NLL teams make card sets (the Stealth do, and the Bandits did in 2016), so I think the Rock need to get on this bandwgon.
    • A yearbook. Programs seem to be a thing of the past in the NLL but a good yearbook with player bios that also highlights some of the notable moments in franchise history would be pretty swell.

Maybe it's time I e-mailed someone at the Rock front office....

Tom Wersderfer and 30seconds like this.
  3. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

- bring back RUST (or another band that is similar) for the season and get the ACC rockin
    - I think they should do that alumni half time game again (selfishly because I had to miss that game)
    - advertise a lot!!!!

4. AmericanRockFan

They really should have some sort of "Turn Back The Clock" night at the Air Canada Centre this year where they have an in-game band like the old days for a game, and really try to make it feel like the late 90s and early 00s at a game again.

In the rare event that the schedule this year has a few Saturday night games (highly doubtful, though) I might just get the $125 upper deck season pass. Of course, I'd also have to hope that the weather cooperates with me...

5. AmericanRockFan

Also...
    • Better merchandise options. Player shirseys would be kinda cool. I actually just bought an Ohio Machine one of Tom Schreiber, mainly because the Rock don't sell them :(
    One thing I will say though, is that I think the Rock have a pretty decent hat variety at the moment. I'd just like a New Era fitted hat with the original logo on it ;)

6. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

shirseys would be good.

7. 30seconds

30seconds Member

I have some! From 1999/2000 when Whipper still had a black helmet

8. AmericanRockFan

I came across some sort of 2000 NLL Championship commemorative set on eBay a few years ago but didn't buy it. Man, do I regret that now....

9. 20th Anniversary Toronto Rock.JPG

Drew this up on break, maybe a crest on the breast of the jersey commemorating the 20th anniversary?

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  10. what about an Alumni vs Rock preseason warm up, very light contact get some of the old guys out; doyle, whipper, ladoucer, sanderson

be a good publicity thing, sell tickets cheap, kinda first come first serve seating. maybe have a meet and great after the game?

our minor association did a fun Alumni game the last two years where parents (because we didn't have enough Alumni the first year) and Alumni play in a game against the current Intermediate team towards the end of the year, was fun and raised a bit of money for the association

smurf666 likes this.
  11. AmericanRockFan

I like it.

And I like the idea of some sort of Alumni versus Current team game. Also, if (and when, cause an alumni reunion has to happen during a milestone season) this happens, there has to be a meet and greet and autograph session. I'm not sure if the Rock still do a team autograph day like they did back in the day (I went to the 2003 one, just by chance cause I happened to be at the game not knowing it was team photo/autograph day), but this is a must.

And I'd want obscure guys that only the diehards would remember, like Russ Heard, to be there. Pull out all the stops.

12. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Looks good, except the dates should be 1999-2018. They were the Ontario Raiders in 1998 and didn't exist in 1997.

13. AmericanRockFan

Building on CrocodileLax's idea in another thread, a Rock/Knighthawks pre-season game complete with half-time alumni game at Mattamy as a way to commemorate the 1999/2000 NLL title games would be pretty sweet.

14. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

And if this proves too onerous to arrange, the alumni game could occur at a Rock/Knighthawks game this season in the ACC. It seems pretty silly to ignore the most glorious moment in team history in an anniversary season.

15. AmericanRockFan

Completely agreed. Perhaps I live in some bizarre reality, but I feel like the NLL doesn't really embrace it's history the way other sports do, hence why I'd love for the club to release some sort of commemorative 20th anniversary DVD. Maybe if they do that they could even use some old War on the Floor footage (a DVD I've tried to track down, but always find it for sale for sky high prices due to its scarcity...:confused:)

16. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

The Rock had a 10 year anniversary DVD they gave out to season ticket holders at the time
    I need to dig it up so I can see what I looked like back then :)

17. AmericanRockFan

You also need to upload it onto YouTube so I can watch it :cool:

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i might be able to copy the DVD for you. Remind me closer to the season.

19. is 9SQUIRE3 thee Kim Squire?

20. AmericanRockFan

Unfortunately not, but he does have a pretty cool story about a time that thee Kim Squire sat next to him at a game back in (I think) 2006 or so when Kimbo was a healthy scratch for Buffalo.

But on that note, Kim Squire needs to make a cameo at this season's hypothetical 20th anniversary reunion/autograph signing.