"Across U.S., ESPN Aims to Be the Home Team" - Good for the NLL in the long run?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

Interesting article in today's paper about ESPN's latest plans...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/business/media/20espn.htm

2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I like ESPN Chicago. I go to that site about once a month, but it's not as good as sun-times.com or tribune.com

3. dletter

dletter New Member

Not sure how this will "benefit" the NLL at all.

Although the NLL is "listed" on the ESPN Lax page, within ESPNChicago, the Machine are not even listed as one of Chicago's "pro teams", and ESPN2 SHOWS MLL games. ESPN.com's Lax "coverage" is basically limited to just linking out to other sites. They do not have any "internal" coverage, as far as team pages, etc, for the MLL or NLL, unlike Chicago's MLS & WNBA teams, which do have ESPN pages, and have their logos along the top as part of Chicago's "Pro sports landscape" (Since ESPN had an AFL section, if the AFL & Rush didn't take 2009 off, I'd guess the Rush would be up there too).

So, to the point, unless ESPN.com starts having their OWN lax content, I don't see this "helping" much.

4. PhillySoldier

PhillySoldier New Member

It wouldve made a great test comparison if they broadcasted all of the Shamrox home games. It certainly wouldve helped the team attendance and at the same time showed the league the need to get all the games aired.

5. WILaxFan

WILaxFan Member

Let me start by saying...I'm a die-hard fan of ESPN, but I don't like the thought of ESPN replacing/putting out of business the local sports reporters.

ESPN's venture in to local sports is likely not good for several reasons - it could be:
    * Bad for fans of local sports.
    * Bad for job security for local sports reporters.
    * Bad for local newspapers & local websites.
    * Bad for local sports athletes (who want the local media attention).
    * Bad for niche sports (like the NLL)

Increasingly, there has been a trend of local media moving away from having (expensive) "boots on the ground" - and instead outsourcing and doing more "reporting from afar" (far cheaper).

Which has resulted in the media industry enduring waves and waves of layoffs and employment cutbacks over the past two decades:

* Newspapers

A.) A California news site made headlines a year or two ago, by not utilizing a staff of local reporters - but instead hiring cheaper journalists from India. The reporters from India would watch the local city council meetings on the web - and write up news stories from what occurred in the meetings. I kid you not on this one - I thought it was a joke at first.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271577,00.html

B.) The employment cutbacks in the print industry have been so drastic as to have many people talking about "the end of newspapers" as we currently know it.

* Radio

A.) A few years back, a bad storm hit an area at night, and emergency warning officials were trying to reach someone at the local radio stations to have them air a warning for their listeners - but no one was at the stations, as the stations were broadcasting off the satellite ("off the bird" as they call it).

B.) The largest radio station ownership group in the nation has been heavily criticized for buying up groups of radio stations - and soon after firing the news departments - replacing them with traffic cameras and getting news stories from online subscription services.

* Websites & Blogs

A.) Internet websites and blogs, of course, are notorious for reporting stories from afar - without having "boots on the ground" where the story is actually occurring. These examples usually show up when an internet story is plagiarized, a fake or a joke.

Therefore, throughout the broadcast media we are seeing a trend of far fewer "at the scene" media accounts and more outsourcing and reporting from afar.

Keeping in mind the current media context listed above, now add behemoth Disney's ESPN entering into the equation, having a local sports website (which is tied to a local radio station airing ESPN Radio) competing for fans attention in these local cities...I immediately worry about the thought of ESPN replacing/putting out of business the local sports reporters, and having my local sports brought to me by people out of Bristol, CT (or Tampa or somewhere else).

Keep in mind ESPN now has a west coast SportsCenter broadcast from LA, owns a Los Angeles and a handful of other radio stations in the Top 10 radio markets, and a Chicago sports website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  6. Wings-4-Life

CSN Chicago did air Shamrox home games during their first season.

7. raptorspike

raptorspike Member

Wings-4-Life, I don't know what CSN Chicago you watched, but here, the only game I ever remember being on TV was the franchise and home opener against the Titans. After that, it was nothing but tape delays or broadcasting something else. Had they actually broadcast all home games LIVE and maybe the papers actually given more than four sentences (just as a start), things could have ended differently.

8. Wings-4-Life

I can remember watching at least 4 live games. The home opener, one against the K-Hawks, the final one of the season against the Wings, and one other one in between but I can't remember who it was.

9. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

In 2006 Comcast Sports Net Chicago showed an NLL game of the week in a 2 hour format.

In 2007 they showed the following Shamrox home games:

vs. NY (on Versus also)
    vs. Buffalo
    vs. Minnesota
    vs. Rochester
    vs. NY (2nd game) (also on Sports Net NY)
    vs. Edmonton

So six of their home games were on CSN Chicago. The Wings game in Chicago was supposed to be shown on Versus originally but wasn't. It was shown on CSN Philadelphia. CSN Chicago may have shown it but I'm not sure. In 2008 they didn't show any Shamrox games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  10. Wings-4-Life

All the games I remember seeing were in the same season. And the only reason I remember watching them play the Wings is because it was the last game of the season and we still had a chance to make the playoffs. Of course we lost and finished 6-10.

11. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

I'm not sure if this is a real threat or not. I'm a fan of Chicago teams, so I do visit the site occasionally, along with the Tribune's ChicagoSports.com site.

But when it comes to the stuff on ESPNChicago.com, most of it is already on ESPN.com. So at this point, it's nothing more than a filter.

12. XcelLaX

XcelLaX New Member

It's too soon to tell what this means for the NLL specifically. After the first "expansion" wave ESPN will have local sites for NYC, Chicago, LA and Dallas. None of those markets have NLL teams.

My guess is that the next couple of waves will focus on other markets with teams in all the "big four" leagues. That list also include several NLL markets: Boston, Philadelphia, Denver and of course Minneapolis/St. Paul. Once ESPN starts up local sites for those markets, we will see how much they respect the NLL.