Americans coming to the NLL

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by GoodsOnSabres, Aug 11, 2017.

1. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Lacrosse Magazine had an interesting article yesterday about more Americans being interested in the NLL draft than usual. For those of you who follow the outdoor game like I do, there are some pretty big names on the list that's interested. That includes the last two college players of the year, Dylan Molloy and Matt Rambo.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/pro/nll/american-prospects-show-greater-interest-in-nll

With Canadian born Currier coming next year, there's a chance the three finalists for the MLL Rookie of the year (Currier, Josh Byrne and Dylan Molloy) could all play in the NLL next year. I wonder if that's ever happened before.

With the expansion coming, I think this is absolutely necessary. There are only so many players who are traditional box guys, and once they get a hang of it I think the best field guys could be better than a lot of players who grew up playing box. If we want to add four or five more teams, we need to get Americans going for the talent pool to not be dramatically affected.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Now while I do agree with you that more quality American players are a must for the NLL if they're looking to expand by 5 teams (and at least 100 extra jobs as a result), I have to ask you why do you think that the best field guys would be better than a lot of the players who grew up playing box? I've always been under the impression that pound-for-pound, the best box player is better than the best field player (at least when it comes to forwards) because they're used to working in tight spaces, unlike a field player.

3. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

I would love to see brown's Larsen Kemp in the NLL. A takeaway master, fantastic in transition, and from what I saw the smarts too. I don't think he played in the MLL this summer due to job commitments with Disney but if he could find the time for the NLL, then I think he would do well ala ranagan or white.

4. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I think the working in tight spaces thing is definitely correct, but the reason I always felt the Americans could really succeed is how many more field players there are than box players. If you get the best field guys, they're the best of all the players in the U.S. That's a lot of people, as field lacrosse is played throughout the east coast and moving further and further west. There has been some really good talent coming out of non-traditional places like Colorado, California, etc.

For the NLL, you're really just getting the best lacrosse players from the Toronto and Vancouver areas. I just think the outdoor players have a bigger talent pool to draw from.

5. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

He played some in the MLL this summer with Denver. Has looked good.

6. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

thanks. brown's offense scheme put lots of responsibility on kemp.

7. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Connor Fields from Amherst (Buffalo suburb) is getting a lot of time with the Oakville Rock this summer, he'll be eligible next season. 43 pts in 16 games and 5 pts in 4 playoff games. Also in the Buffalo area albeit a native american player, Zed Williams will most likely be drafted (though his box action has been limited over the last couple seasons).

8. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

More American players would help expansion team quality and would be a great way to market the American teams. But I agree with AmericanRockFan, I don't see American field players coming into box and dominating anytime soon. With the exception of Schreiber I can't think of that many Americans who came into the box game and played at the same level they did outdoors.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

ryan boyle's rookie year was pretty incredible but he was not being considered for MVP. that was what made tom special, rookie smookie, he was a legit mvp candidate!!

10. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

The issues I always had was the goalie position. I think any runner weather offensive or defensive can switch from field to box and vise versa pretty easily.

Im pretty excited for Josh byrne and I hope he goes to Vancouver.

11. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

most transferrable position to let a guy move from field to box is shortstick d middle......in many d schemes they end up guarding the crease attackers, and, they are in tune with clearing plays.

attack/shooting middie has some transferability, but, tactics and strategy are so different that only a couple per generation are top notch. Schreiber is the first American rookie since Boyle that can make a case for being a top 1 or 2 righty on his own team.

cant wait to see what this gunner can do with Hellyer/hickey/schreiber or Hellyer/beirnes/schreiber packages

12. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I disagree a bit on the ease of switching from field to box. Lots of field guys can't hack it in box - or refuse to even try, like Mike Powell. I remember Albany's Mike Regan, who was local to the area, had to bust his hump practicing to make the transition, but he was eventually successful. If you are an American growing up with field, you should spend some summers up north, eh?, in the CLA lower circuits to hone your skills and get the wake-up call in the physicality. Since CLA may be more physical than the NLL (I don't know), making the transition from CLA to NLL may then not be so bad. Really, as several American NCAA field coaches have said, ideally, American kids should be exposed to box starting around 12.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

14. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

OLA Major is a much dirtier, uglier form of lacrosse.

bigger goalies and smaller nets mean you have to attack the middle to get good chances.

the fact that you have to attack the middle means the D can pack the scoring area tighter.....and they are allowed to crosscheck off ball, and mug a fair bit more aggressively.

goals are paid for in bruises and blood.....scores average a fair bit lower.

get two good teams against each other, and it's a better watch for a lacrosse fan....as opposed to an NLL fan.

15. wacklax

wacklax Member

Completely agree smurf. When u say mug you mean assault don't you. lol

16. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Westervelt had 34 goals in his first full season with the Wings... which was about standard for his 5 full seasons there (32G, 60P per season).

Definitely one of the better Americans the league has seen over the last decade.

17. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Westervelt was definitely legit right from the get go....I thought Boyle broke into the league later, and thought he was the last American prior to Schreiber to impact right away.

18. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

by "mug", i meant holding and wrap checking. They let a fair bit more go, only call it when it directly costs a scoring chance.