Anaheim Sting?

Discussion in 'Anaheim Storm Forum' started by Rabid Camel, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Rabid Camel

Rabid Camel New Member

Any buzz in Anaheim that the Sting will come over to the Pond now that the Sting owner has announced he is selling the team? I see the Storm web-site is still up, and they have said they want to bring lacrosse back...plus I know Doug "the snake" Moss worked with Anaheim Ducks organization back in 2003 before moving over to Phoenix.

2. wordup!

wordup! New Member

they wanted to keep the storm there....they wanted to buy the team from Jason Williams for 500k, and he said no. But I think that the Sting will work in Anaheim since they are a contender, they will win games with the 2007 roster that will come back. I just don't know if the new ducks owner wants to pay 5million for it. if they buy them now, and start marketing them very soon, they will be ready to come out of the gate with guns a blazin'

I would change the colors to match the ducks then too- they would need to ride the cup band-wagon people.

3. nll101

nll101 New Member

Anahiem

Why the heck would the board of governors approve a team back in Anahiem? Doesn't make much sense leave 6000 fans for 600 fans? For those fans who remember Charlotte or Syracuse if you were an owner would you approve a move back to these citys.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  4. wordup!

wordup! New Member

then you move them to SD then

5. NLLStormCA

NLLStormCA New Member

the Sting would not come over...

if they did, that would be awesome, but i dont see that happening...

6. wordup!

wordup! New Member

the cobra was less than 2K a game and syracuse is a small city.

7. stolenmonkey

stolenmonkey New Member

you guys couldn't even keep the storm alive. i went to one game with me and a few of my friends. and we out numbered the storm fans.

8. Slinger 120

Slinger 120 New Member

Seattle, Dallas, Vancouver, St. Louis.....But not Anaheim. It would not last 4 seasons there again.

I think St. Louis can be a solid market. It is a good sports town and unlike Phx. or Anaheim there are not a thousand other distractions during the months the season runs.

And no Basketball or Arena football. It would be them and then Blues....could work.

Wherever they go...the Sting name dies too. Unless they go to N. Mexico or Vegas.

9. YBNormal

YBNormal New Member

My personal choice if we are to lose the Sting in Arizona is for them to move to Detroit. The level of hockey support there indicates the NLL should do well too.

10. stolenmonkey

stolenmonkey New Member

The only problem with this Normal is that ticket sells have been declining in Hockey town for the Wings themselves. Plus Detriot had a team a few years back and they went belly up too and moved.

11. Rockman

Rockman Active Member

I heard that Seattle is likely to buy them.

12. Slinger 120

Slinger 120 New Member

Seattle could work well. Nice rivalry with Portland to start with.....And if Vancouver gets a team again they will have another to the North.

13. stolenmonkey

stolenmonkey New Member

Sea town has been trying for years to get a team. Big problem they have is an arena. For what they have up there they are all booked up during this time of the year.

14. Rachullll

Rachullll New Member

I have already said this before but:
    most people in seattle dont know what lacrosse is.

15. JonAutopsy

JonAutopsy New Member

Laoclax

First off, I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I do have some insight on the ill-fated Anaheim Storm, however, as I used to be a season ticket holder for the team, as well as the person who runs the Anaheim Storm group on myspace.

Straight from one of the players on the team, the Storm was deleted from the league because of lack of fans. That's obvious. Here's why:

The Anaheim Storm NLL team was fantastic to watch, especially from a stand point of my own where, when I went to my first Storm game during their first season, I had never seen a pro-lacrosse game anywhere, nor had I followed the sport at all. However, being an avid Los Angeles Kings fan, I agreed to go when a friend of mine said he had tickets to a Storm game. I was instantly hooked. Up to the point where myself and seven of my friends bought season seats for the 2nd Storm season.

From this standpoint, as well as going to The Pond and becoming aquaintences(sp?) with the season ticket manager for the arena, I began to understand why the Storm did not have an avid fan following for such an amazingly intense sport: the owners did nothing to market the team. There was never a commercial on television about the Storm; the local radio station KROQ had a sports manager that hated lacrosse; and the only advertisement I ever saw for the team outside of The Pond was a few boards on city buses, here and there. People around L.A./O.C. dont speak very much english, let alone could even pronounce the word lacrosse when written across the side of a metro link.

That is what, hands down, killed any chances of the Storm flourishing in the NLL.

I have, on multiple occasions, e-mailed most every higher up in the NLL asking for a team to return to SoCal, be it L.A. or Anaheim. It seems, too, that they are interested, they just want someone who is going to take owning the team seriously, unlike what the owners of the Storm did when they still existed.

As soon as a team returns to The (Honda Center) Pond, or makes an appearance at the overcrowded Staples Center, I will be the first person in line to buy season seats. I dont care what the name is, where they're from originally, or even if Fidel Castro himself buys a team and names it The Soviet Death Cube. I want the NLL to return to SoCal more than, pretty much, anything.

16. Stonewall35

Stonewall35 New Member

The Vancouver Ravens still have some outstanding debts to be paid to the league. These must be paid first in order for the city to get another franchise.

17. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

They must've been close to getting that sorted out since the Ravens nearly returned this season.

18. MOHI Lax

MOHI Lax New Member

Hey funny you mention that, neither did Coloradans, but with some kick *** advertising people started coming to games, people like new things. Lacrosse is the sport for everyone, it's fast paced, exciteing, hard hitting, and on top of all that theres the fine finess that goes with it. I'd say they'd be hooked.

19. XcelLaX

XcelLaX New Member

Not necessarily. The nickname would still work if they wound up somewhere in NASCAR country, say Atlanta - just replace the scorpion with a fire ant.

If the Swarm hadn't already co-opted the flying insect concept, I'd also say the Sting could move to Salt Lake City, change their logo to a bee (Utah is "The Beehive State") and become the Utah Sting.

20. thebullet

thebullet New Member

Wouldn't it mostly be with the Seattle supersonics though? I heard that they were probably moving to New Orleans, or Oklahoma, one of those.