Andy Arlotta leads the world-champion Swarm

Discussion in 'Georgia Swarm Forum' started by Vin, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I was able to sort of get past the paywall and recover this article from a few days ago in the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/10/27/andy-arlotta-leads-the-world-champion-swarm.html

Andy Arlotta leads the world-champion Swarm

By Phil W. Hudson
    Staff Writer, Atlanta Business Chronicle
    Oct 27, 2017, 1:00pm EDT

Andy Arlotta is entering his 10th season as co-owner and president of the Georgia Swarm in 2018.

In the summer of 2015, Arlotta managed the Swarm’s relocation to the metro Atlanta area after the team had spent 11 seasons as the Minnesota Swarm in the Twin Cities.

Arlotta also represents the Swarm as an associate governor in the National Lacrosse League, and is on the league’s properties committee, which oversees television and sponsorship partnerships, and the NLL Jr. Committee, which focuses on growing box lacrosse on the youth level in the league’s nine cities.

In 2017, Arlotta and the Swarm won their first-ever World Championship, and finished the season with a league-best 17-5 overall record. Arlotta helped the Swarm increase attendance in the postseason by 78 percent.

In 2016, Arlotta was named to the board of directors for the Atlanta Sports Council. In addition, Arlotta is an executive board member of the Northeast Georgia Council of Boy Scouts of America, a board member of the Gwinnett YMCA, on the board of advisors for the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce and served on the outreach committee for the 2016 ACC Men’s Lacrosse Championships.

What led you to your career?
    It was always my dream to work with my father. I always thought it would be in the health care industry that we would go in together. It turned out that a good friend of his purchased the NHL’s Minnesota Wild, and a part of that purchase was a professional lacrosse team. We thought this would be a good opportunity to work together, being that lacrosse was something that we had recently taken a big interest in. Our family is involved in lacrosse at the University of Notre Dame as well, and the sport has really become an important part of our lives.

Who was your biggest influence in your career (mentor, teacher, relative)? What did he/she do?
    Normally, I answer my father. He’s a great role model. The principles and the way he lives his life are good examples to follow. There’s another gentleman in my professional career that has been a mentor to me, Chris Roussos. When I worked at Beverly Enterprises, which is the largest nursing home chain in the country, he was my direct boss. He has since gone on to be the CEO of a few a different companies, he’s a Harvard MBA graduate and a captain in the Army. He’s a really cool family guy that works hard. Again, a lot like my father, and does the right thing. Good morals, good principles, character guy, who is all about family.

What is the biggest challenge in your career or job?
    Managing is always the biggest challenge. Everyone is different. You have to approach everyone differently, and learning how to do that the best way takes time, and you have to develop a close relationship with those employees. I love learning how to manage new people, and learn what makes people tick and how to approach that. How do you get the best out of your staff? That’s always going to be challenging and different.

What’s the most rewarding part of your job?
    Watching people grow: grow into managers, grow into leaders, grow in their positions. It doesn’t matter what level they are in the company. I have one employee who has been with me for 10 years and I’ve gotten to watch this person grow up, and have been through life with this person. He was a sophomore in college when I met him, and here we are now 10 years later. It’s been fascinating to watch him grow personally and professionally. To be part of how the entire organization is growing is extremely rewarding.

What’s the hardest business lesson you’ve learned?
    Being in professional sports, and now going into my 10th year in the business, you realize that you are always in the public eye. I’ve learned to be careful what I say, especially when it comes to talking about the team’s expectations on the field. When you’re in the public eye, just because you think your team is going to win a championship, doesn’t mean that it’s something you should publicize.

How did it feel to bring Atlanta its first professional sporting title in 22 years?
    This is definitely the highlight of my career in pro sports. It’s a dream come true, and to be able to do it with my father and the family behind it, has been an even a bigger dream come true. It’s really rewarding to see. This didn’t come overnight. This was nine years in the making and to see all that hard work pay off has been nice. We’ve had a lot of down years on the turf so winning this World Championship really means a lot to our organization, especially to the players and staff who have been involved for many years.

What are your expectations for the upcoming season?
    Entering our third season here in Georgia, we’re looking to continue to grow our fan base and team partners. We have a fantastic product. We call [lacrosse] “the fastest game on two feet” so we’re always trying to raise awareness about our brand and expose more people to our games. Having just won a championship, we’re also excited to get our team back in action. We have a great group of character athletes who continue to get better.

In what ways does the Swarm give back to the community?
    We’ve been blessed with the opportunity to be in professional sports and to have a team like we do. It’s important to give back. How do we do that? We do that in the lacrosse community, more specifically in the Native American communities, who created the game of lacrosse. It’s been very important to us to connect with those communities and do whatever we can to help grow the game, and thank those communities by doing camps and clinics. We’ve had camps that were recognized by the White House for the work we’ve done in the Native communities. We’re also involved on every level, whether it’s the schools, other sporting teams, community initiatives and charities.

What’s your experience been like living in Georgia?
    I love it. I never could have imagined that it would go as well as it has gone. We’re building a great fan base here. In regards to all the companies we’ve worked with, the other pro sports teams in town, the big Fortune 500 companies and the local companies, my hats off to them. They’ve welcomed us with open arms here in Georgia. We have a lot of people supporting us. I want to say thank you to the fans, and the people of Georgia. It’s been a great wow factor for us, and we couldn’t have imagined a better place to be.

What do you want your legacy to be personally and professionally?
    I want people to think of the organization and the Swarm as a class act organization. This is an organization with great leadership and great character. In everything we do, family comes first. That’s our mentality and our organization is a family. We also strive for great character. We have a saying, “It takes talent to the play in the NLL, but it takes character to play for the Swarm,” and it’s the same mentality we have in the front office. A lot of that mentality stems from the top down. At the end of the day, I want us, and myself, to be known as good-character people.

Andy Arlotta
    Born: Lake Forest, Illinois
    Lives in: Suwanee
    Current job: Co-Owner and President, Georgia Swarm Pro Lacrosse Team
    Previous job: Southeast Regional Manager, Managed Healthcare Associates (MHA)
    Education: Northern Illinois University; University of Wyoming
    Family: Wife, Brook; Son, Ezekiel; Dog, Fen
    Hobbies: Big game hunting, golf, anything on the ocean, college football
    [VIN: Like in Africa? Like Jimmy John? Shame!]

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

As someone with a business psychology background, I'm always happy to see leaders/managers who realize that there's no "one size fits all" approach here and that it's up to them to find out what makes their employees tick.

Great share.

Vin likes this.
  3. Crabman19

Crabman19 Active Member

Arlotta says one of his hobbies is big game hunting....why does that not surprise me. Big man, takes alot of skill to pay a poor local person big money to lead them to the prey and walk right up and blast it. Such a big man posing with the dead animal afterwards..., probably buddies with the Trump loser sons.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

If big game / trophy hunting is indeed one of his hobbies, I have lost a lot of respect.

5. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

All,owners should be hunting big game wins and trophys

Vin likes this.