Are the Stealth Done?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Stealth Forum' started by New Fan, Apr 12, 2016.

1. New Fan

New Fan Member

With 4 games left in the season and one against Calgary the chances of the Roughnecks losing their last 2 games and the Stealth winning out seem pretty slim. Looks like they will miss the playoffs again. This can't be looking good for saving the franchise even existing next season in Langley. Tough year again for them and certainly some fault must be placed on the shoulders of Doug locker. Never understood getting rid of Tyler Digby to get Billings who was coming off ACL surgery. Once you have had that type of surgery you are never the same and Billings out of the lineup for a good part of the season. Look at Andrew Suiter. Saw today he is back on IR. Add in Tyler Garrison who is never in the lineup due to injuries. Hodgson and Moleski too old and team needs an overhaul. Just wonder will it be in Vancouver next year. Interested in folks thoughts?

2. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

The Stealth are in tough, it will be hard for them to make trades. From a Bandits perspective there is little I want on that roster especially when factoring in geography. Would Small come back east? Maybe Durston? Toronto may be interested in some pieces Vancouver has but they have the pieces to trade?

With no 1st rounder until 2020, I don't know what direction they go in. All of those first round picks traded and not much to show for it when it comes to results.

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I certainly hope that Vancouver does something.

4. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Me too. As much as I grumble about this team I want them to succeed.

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

they need to stop coming out of the gates down by 5 goals. you have to keep it close to have a chance of winning. I have no idea why locker over pays when basically he is bring home local heros, where is his discount ala Toronto?

6. wacklax

wacklax Member

He overpays because he is an American field guy not a box lax vet.Sure would be nice if we had some picks.

7. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Not yet they're not. They downed the 'Necks 13-12 in a barnburner tonight at the LEC to keep their playoff hopes alive.

All they have to do now is beat the Rush, Mammoth and the Swarm plus have the Rock beat the 'Necks to get in. Not impossible but definitely a tall order for this club.

8. New Fan

New Fan Member

Great hard fought win by the Stealth last night. They still have a heart beat and you just never know in this game what might happen down the stretch. Still can make the playoffs.

9. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Finally made my annual trek to take in a Stealth game. It's a road trip. Lucky enough to pick up a suite at the LEC and packed it with family and friends. The game was AMAZING! Sadly arena looked like it was half full. The fans that did show had a great time. Made a point of talking to people who I came in to contact with in the community of Langley and in downtown Vancouver about the team. Almost every reaction from someone I spoke to either said what is lacrosse...or what pro team?

Had a guy who was working at a downtown clothing store ask me what I was in Vancouver for? Told him...his response was...they play lacrosse here? Turns out he saw his first game at an Ivy league school in Capetown, South Africa. He definitely was excited to hear about the box game and said he would be checking it out. His eyes lit up with enthusiasm when he asked me whether the box players got into fights!!

Anyhow...the point is that the word is not getting out. Someone has to start telling people about this team or it is going to remain obscure and not relevant to most Vancouverites.

I have one word for Denise Watkins and the rest of the league: MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING.

10. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Not a bad game last night. Stealth really wanted the win even though both teams looked pretty solid - although I thought the Calgary goalie was going to get yanked early.

The thing is, many of us have said it here before, Langley is not relevant to most Vancouverites.

The only regular Stealth advertising I see or hear within Vancouver city limits is on the country radio station (JRFM). Actually a smart choice, as the handful of Vancouverites who do listen to country music are probably more partial to going out to Langley, as that's about the closest venue that country music holds its concerts at. But then, how many people in City of Vancouver besides myself listen to country music? [crickets chirping]

As long as lacrosse remains a suburban white, blue-collar, and aboriginal sport, it's going to be completely irrelevant to the affluent whites and massive Asian population in the actual city. I really don't know what can be done in this market with its various unique challenges to get casual fans to embrace it apart from perhaps trying to get the Canucks to buy into it and return to the downtown arena. Neither which is going to happen.

11. BClark

BClark Member

The advertize on TSN1040 as well

12. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

I don't listen to 1040 but that would make sense too. My wife says she's seen a couple TV adverts for the Stealth but couldn't recall what station it was on (I've never seen these adverts).

13. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Got my tickets for the game on Saturday night for their final home game against the Rush. To say I'm stoked for this one is an understatement!

14. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Having breakfast at the hotel on Sunday I saw a decent Stealth ad on Global tv during the morning news. It's a start. Marketing takes $$$. Winning puts fans in the seats and makes $$$. Wish I could afford to travel back and see the Rush game. Will have to settle for an internet feed. The game is 100 times better in person at the arena. GO STEALTH!

15. salmonking

salmonking New Member

They have regular ads in the sports section of The Province.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

While, ideally, the Stealth should be in Vancouver simply to help with the Vancouver Island fanbase, Vancouver is increasingly becoming Hongcouver as wealthy Chinese are buying property and moving there... These people probably will not give a rat's azz about hockey let alone lacrosse. And since those who do like hockey and lacrosse won't be able to live in Vancouver, they'll move further and further into the suburbs... like Langley. It's just a matter of time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/world/americas/canada-vancouver-chinese-immigrant-wealth.html

Below is an excerpt from the article...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

China’s rapid economic rise has turned peasants into billionaires. Many wealthy Chinese are increasingly eager to stow their families, and their riches, in the West, where rule of law, clean air and good schools offer peace of mind, especially for those looking to escape scrutiny from the Communist Party and an anti-corruption campaign that has sent hundreds of the rich and powerful to jail.

With its relatively weak currency and welcoming immigration policies, Canada has become a top destination for China’s 1 percenters. According to government figures, from 2005 to 2012, at least 37,000 Chinese millionaires took advantage of a now-defunct immigrant investor program to become permanent residents of British Columbia, the province that includes Vancouver.

The metropolitan area of 2.3 million is home to increasing numbers of ethnic-Chinese residents, who made up more than 18 percent of the population in 2011, up from less than 7 percent in 1981, according to government figures.

Many residents say the flood of Chinese capital has caused an affordable housing crisis. Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada to buy a home, according to a 2016 survey by the consulting firm Demographia. The average price of a detached house in greater Vancouver more than doubled from 2005 to 2015, to about 1.6 million Canadian dollars ($1.2 million), according to the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver.

Residents angry about the rise of rich foreign real estate buyers and absentee owners, particularly from China, have begun protests on social media, including a #DontHave1Million Twitter campaign. The provincial government agreed this year to begin tracking foreign ownership of real estate in response to demands from local politicians.

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

The vast majority of Vancouver real estate is traded between Canadian citizens.

Hot Asian money is only a tiny bit responsible for the delusionary market there.

Articles like this do little other than fuel racist opinions from the jealous.

19. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

It's amusing watching out-of-towners discuss the situation in Vancouver. Depends if you are talking about City of Vancouver or the Greater Vancouver area - both of you are right and wrong.

Regardless, with whites now being a minority in the City of Vancouver, lacrosse is a tough sell in the urban area. But suburban-based sports teams just don't get a whole lot of respect from casual sports fans unless they happen to live in those communities because it's viewed as bush league if they have to play that for out of the downtown core.

20. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I read a believable source that stated that less than 7% of real estate transactions in Greater Vancouver involved non-Canadians.

Certain streets in, say, West Van might be closer to 70%, but, real estate trading is a very localized phenomenon.

Detached homes in that hood have probably been largely out of the range of affordability for the average "old stock" Canadian with the average job for 20 odd years anyway.....urban homes in the very best pocket of a very liveable, regionally important city are always going to trade at a premium. And, once you take these and the Richmond Asians out of the 7%......well, who's bidding up East Van and the other surrounding environs? Locals, brother!

As an aside - Some of these locals look a bit Chinese, but, are actually Canadian.......:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016