Are the Stealth Done?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Stealth Forum' started by New Fan, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Hard to argue that point when all the WLA teams are in the suburbs where there are more blue collar folks than in the downtown/GVA. Reaching out to the casuals in Vancouver is definitely harder when there's the Whitecaps crowing about "having the best atmosphere in town". Too bad soccer is like watching paint dry.

Would love to see the Stealth put more ads on TV emphasizing the physicality and speed of the game. At any rate I don't know what they can do to draw in the non-lacrosse crowd.

It's just disappointing that despite being a lacrosse hotbed that the Stealth don't get more support from that fanbase.

2. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Like or dislike soccer, agreed the Whitecaps did everything right that the Ravens should have done back when both teams were in their infancy. When both teams came along, I figured one of them would take off like a house on fire. Just wasn't sure which one.

Maybe that's why MLS has slowly built up a better, stronger fanbase compared to the NLL? When MLS first came along, the traditionalists balked at the gimmick changes made to the game. The league eventually listened and changed to what the fans wanted. Perhaps the NLL can listen and learn too?

It says something about the Vancouver market when it's difficult enough to win over lacrosse folks to the NLL, let alone the non-lacrosse folks (which might actually be an easier sell, as they don't understand the nuances which make the NLL different from the rest of Canadian boxla).

NLL is different kind of lacrosse than what majority of us grew up watching and playing. The third-tier beer leagues I played in have had more physicality than what's on the green carpet now, to the point it's now laughable some games.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

What's on the NLL floor to you may be laughable now.... but it's not laughable to the people of Saskatoon nor will it be to any of the newbie fans or newbie players. I say players because, like Jay Jalbert, they'll be much more sensitive to the idea of CTE and question YTF should they play for a relative pittance to be a drooling idiot at 40. The physicality had to come down a bit for the players sake and for that sake of life/health insurance premiums for the players and owners.
    So, in short, over time:
    The new fans won't care about the relative lack of physicality because they never would have experienced the increased physicality.
    The new players will care about the relative lack of physicality because 1) they don't want CTE and 2) they will not have grown up with it either.
    The only people really bitching about the relative lack of physicality will be oldsters who are dying off.

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if the players are policing themselves, no problem at all, its their health & safety at stake.
    open floor contact is up - heck joel white slalomed through half the wolfpack between the restraining lines, any other player would had been crunched.
    but the agility of guys out of the backend is light years beyond the pylons of 15-years ago. they are not easy targets.
    the issue that I have is with the refs calling a penalty because how it looked rather than a rule violation. shoulder to shoulder is legit, if one guy eats turf from it, fine. all we ask for is that head shots be called on a consistent basis.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

There's physicality, and then there's physicality.

-Off ball cross checking probably doesn't contribute much in the way of serious head trauma.

-Open floor hits featuring multiple steps and an aggressive launch probably does.

The NLL banned the first, and has just confirmed in writing that they are perfectly OK with the second.........which does nothing to change my opinion of how clever their braintrust is.

With me, it's not even the physicality of the NLL game that lessens the viewer experience. It's the flow. So, quick list of things that could be better:

-Too much O/D switching....half of the first shotclock of most new possessions is dreck. Fix by adopting CLaX bench door rule, and, by getting third ref on floor to watch changes. Fix also by changing rule back to allowing one pass back into own crease.....watch some film of early Rock for explanation of how this works. Fix also by shrinking net back to old dimension......if it's harder to score 5v5, a rushing D-man will take it to the hole and finish his chance more often.

-Too many cheesy penalties for soft-ish holds and wraps. If these don't cost a scoring chance, just effing let the men play.

-Related to last - penalty killing is boring to watch and I'd love if they'd freeze the shot clock. (I wouldn't mind if they also suspended the shot clock for the team with the power play). This is the least important of my requests though.

-TV timeouts.....despite distinct lack of TV. Just add virtual timeouts into the web feed, let the live users get the proper experience.

-(and, if you're serious about reducing concussions) bring back the 2 minute high sticking penalty. Not all head shots are equal, and, many go uncalled because they don't fit anything else and are not worth a major. Also, add (add back?) a charging penalty, 2, 5, or match, depending on severity and intent. FWIW, I figure I'd write the rule so a hit like Buque's gets 2, and 5 if it was more blindside, and a match if the head was intentionally targetted.

Otherwise, they've actually done a decent job with some of the recent rule changes (8s to clear half, and, improved faceoff rules)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

I like all of your suggestions except this one for purely selfish reasons:
    If I can't see a game live, I like to watch the online feed while chatting with other folks about it over twitter. If the feed gets behind the actual game, you have the teams and fans at the game tweeting about goals that you won't see for a few minutes. That sucks, especially late in a game or OT.

The TV timeouts don't bother me except for one thing. The timeouts happen at the first break in play after the 10 and 5 minute marks. But a goal doesn't seem to count as a break in play. If a goal is scored at, say, 9:58, they have the subsequent face-off and wait until one team clearly gets possession, and THEN stop the play. They have the TV timeout and give the ball to the team that won the faceoff. This is nonsensical to me.

7. wacklax

wacklax Member

Yes Boo that does drive me nuts. The "tv" timeouts destroy the flow of the game when watching the game live.

8. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I complained about this years ago.....Seems zero point in hustling the teams to the dot, only to blow it dead ~2.2 seconds later. just restart with the fricking faceoff!

With respect to TV timeouts, I do understand and appreciate what you are saying, and, appreciate how the lag would affect your enjoyment of the game. I do 'chat' on the Roadies FB page during games, but, I could take that or leave it.

perhaps there is room for compromise - instead of two 2.5 minute TV timeouts per period (plus the 2.5 minute period break), go with a single 3 minute break at the halfway point of the period and a four minute break between quarters.

Same or better total ad time, live action broken up fewer times, and, the extra 30 to 90s in the break is better for beer/washroom considerations for those at the game. Win-win!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  9. wacklax

wacklax Member

Agreed

10. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

What a win by the hometown boys! 14-12 over the defending champs and the playoff push is still alive!

The LEC was loud as **** tonight and my voice is still recovering from cheering like a complete madman. Love this team!

GO STEALTH GO!

11. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Yes they are finally done after a late season rally. It was fun while it lasted.

Last game of the season against the Swarm tomorrow.

Despite the season being over I really see some positive signs that the Stealth will be better next season.