Arizona Hockey Articles

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by Vin, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

With articles like these, I can't help but wonder if the Sting had been able to stick around.... There may still be a future for lax in Arizona...

Though Ice Is In Short Supply, Arizona Warms Up to Hockey
    Auston Matthews, a 17-Year-Old Prodigy, Is Evidence of Arizona's Flourishing Hockey Scene
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/sports/hockey/arizona-states-elevation-to-division-i-alters-hockeys-profile-in-the-west.html

Arizona State's Elevation to Division I Alters Hockey's Profile in the West
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/sports/hockey/arizona-states-elevation-to-division-i-alters-hockeys-profile-in-the-west.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

meh the coyotes are still in the bottom 3 in NHL attendance dont know if lacrosse can make it a second go round

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

As soon as the right buyer finishes the humming of Bettman to acceptable standard, this team is sold and packing for a move northward.

There's no money in hockey, except in the Canadian markets, and maybe half ofthe US markets. A third or better of the league is on welfare.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

This. Terrible team in a bad market. They're just forcing it on everyone at this point.

5. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Who is the NHL's all time points leader for players born in Arizona?

6. Wings-4-Life

7. swami24

Interesting, I was told Couturier was the only player ever born in AZ.

8. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

coutssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss fear the beard baby

9. Wings-4-Life

LOL.... well the other guy played a whopping 3 games. Have to forgive anyone for forgetting him.

10. swami24

But that is the change of definition of 'only ever to." it's technical, but not correct when I have said that. Bottom line, Coots holds the mark. I asked for and got a new jersey at Christmas, I wanted the new third Flyers jersey with the black shoulders, and finally asked for no name or number. I may hang my one from the 80's somewhere in the house. No room in the man cave. We're not hanging our Wings jerseys in he hope of impending use.

11. CanHawk Fan

CanHawk Fan Active Member

See how the Jets and Winnipeg are for supporting hockey, then compare that to Phoenix / Arizona and the Coyotes. Then tell me exactly why the first incarnation of the Jets moved down there?

Now, Bettman wants any future expansion or movement to the hockey hotbed of Las Vegas instead of Quebec City, where they have a new 200 million dollar arena coming and are guaranteed to sell out night after night.

The man is anti-Canadian. Always has been and always will be, and it is a detriment to the NHL.

12. RockStar

-revenues down due to recession,
    -costs spiralling due to free agency run amok and Canadian Dollar in the crapper.

Looked like a good idea at the time....but, it wasn't. Bettman is a tool.

13. swami24

It looks like things are reaching a breaking point in Glendale. They need a new stadium.commitment or will move.

14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Bettman pretty much laid it out in an ultimatum for Glendale. Of course, if the Coyotes didn't suck on the ice maybe people would come and watch them.

15. RockStar

should have just ripped the band aid off years ago and allowed this team to be sold and moved to a better markey

16. Wings-4-Life

Agreed. Bring on Québec!

17. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Comment dit-on en francais "coyote?"

dougm likes this.
  18. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

so basically the nhl is try to blackmail phoenix to build a new arena because the current one of about 15-years is no longer relevant, at taxpayer expense, when the taxpayers are not going in droves to justify a new arena. if I lived in phoenix and I'm a hockey fan, I say let them move. the suns draw well enough an Glendale was just a mistake.

RockStar likes this.
  19. Vin

Vin Active Member

Sad, but true.

Of all franchise moves in all sports, the saddest to me were:
    1. Albany Attack moving to San Jose.
    2. New York Nets moving to New Jersey.
    3. Philadelphia Wings moving to New England.
    4. Minnesota North Stars moving to Dallas.
    5. Winnipeg Jets moving to Arizona.
    6. Québec Nordiques moving to Colorado - especially when they did because you could see they were going to become dominant.

20. swami24

Wings to NE
    Raiders to LA
    Colts to Indy
    Quebec to Denver
    Jazz to the least jazziest place in the country, Utah.
    Ny titans to Orlando... ahem... not really