Atmosphere

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Komarem, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Komarem

Komarem Guest

Very complete, well played game by the Bandits last night, but what is going on with the atmosphere in the arena? Opening night and there was zero energy from the fans prior to opening faceoff and little energy throughout the game. I’ve noticed Banditland has been slipping in recent years. It’s not the party like, college basketball atmosphere it used to be. I’m worried that it could equate to smaller crowds moving forward. Time to step it up again!

2. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

At least last night, I think there were a couple factors. First of all, the team always draws worse on Fridays than Saturdays. The season is also starting earlier, so a lot of casual fans are probably not even thinking Bandits at this point. Longterm, that shouldn't be an issue, but I do wonder about the large chunk of the fanbase that is families. Do they want to shell out money to take the whole family right before Christmas?

With less people, the atmosphere gets hurt a lot. I don't know how New England did, but I saw Vancouver's attendance was worse than normal yesterday too.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I agree with Goods on his observations. Pre-Xmas, families are thinking of other things and there are always office Xmas parties on Fridays and Saturdays. I wouldn't read too much into the relatively sparse crowd right now. The next home game is when the season historically starts but I don't think Calgary or Vancouver will be the draws like division rivals would be.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The only time I thought the atmosphere lacked last night was after a Rock goal (it was later in the game, and I don't even think it tied the game) and the fans were just dead silent to the point you'd have thought it put the Rock up by 5 goals late in the game or something.

Other than that, I thought it was as much of a Banditland experience as one can get with a crowd of 11,500.

5. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

I was out of town, booked a trip, not ever thinking the Bandits would have started this early. Im sure there were some conflicts with that and the early start to the season.

I have no issues with the crowd shifting away from the Halloween scene we had seen every week with people dressing up like morons just to be on the Jumbotron, it’s trashy and weird, i dunno.

6. chuckster

One thing I did notice was that the person in charge of the goal horn waited a couple of seconds after the ball went into the net to hit the button. The delays were very noticeable.

7. AmericanRockFan

Not just that but whoever was operating the scoreboard last night wasn't very good. At least twice I noticed the wrong score on tbe scoreboard, plus at least twice the shot clock started WAY late (like 10 seconds late).

8. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

They took a hit in season ticket numbers after last season so it is normal for fans to seem less into the game with less diehards going

9. AmericanRockFan

What's funny is that this used to really bug me a few years back, seeing people dress awkwardly and such, but nowadays I guess I just come to expect it when I go to games in Buffalo so it doesn't faze me anymore.

10. Komarem

Komarem Guest

I understand the reasons for the small crowd, and I expect attendance to go way up after New Year’s. What I meant was that the 11,000 there didn’t seem to be as pumped as normal for the game. They couldn’t even get a “let’s go Bandits” chant started. Also, it seemed as if the crowd was barely responding to Swennie. I also noticed the late horns after goals, and what was with the music selection? I don’t know. I come for the lacrosse, but I do enjoy the games more when there is more energy and excitement. I blame it on the Sabres!

11. chuckster

I think there was 1 that went without being prompted. Maybe after Priolo got sent off for 4 minutes?

And overheard in the area I sit in -- when Buque let in a goal that dribbled over the goal line, some fart knocker yelled "Bukkake!"

12. AmericanRockFan

I was waiting for people to inevitably yell "BUKKAKE!" toward the Bandits' netminder.

13. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Bukkake is the kind of thing that makes several people come together.......:eek:

mtbf likes this.
  14. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

Buffalo has fallen victim to family atmosphere. My sister brought her 3 year old son with us, who was on an ipad the entire time and had zero interest in the game. Around us there were dozens of kids under 12 not paying attention to the game but on their parents phones. There is no atmosphere.

My biggest take is that they play techno electric music pregame, then the intro doesn't have the effect they desire anymore. It's sloppy. You have the bag piper come before the intro video, which has no flow or connection, it should be the intro video followed by the bag piper, then there are all these lights and more house music, which doesn't match the bagpipes or the intro video music. It's like they don't know who they want to identify as or what theme to go with.

Was anticipating rolling stones start me up for the opening faceoff, which always got the crowd going. Nope. House music followed by Kesha? That's bandits lacrosse now? Pick an identity. Stick with it.

15. MILLwasbetter

Designate a family section(s), allow the rest of the arena to be a place adults can go and have fun.

16. AmericanRockFan

In my opinion, they should go back to playing Shoots and Ladders as the pre-game intro. Going from the bagpiper to something that's not Shoots and Ladders just seems awkward as hell, and to be honest the Bandits being introduced to Shoots and Ladders became a big part of the BanditLand atmosphere for me.

17. MILLwasbetter

It was for everyone. No idea why they changed something that fans quickly loved and became a tradition. The intro is very sloppy and like I said, they go from house music, to bagpipes, to rock music in the video, back to house music. Just sloppy. Show the video, let the crowd build anticipation waiting for the bagpipe to hit, then play shoots and ladders. End the house music, cut back some of the circus lights. Its not hard.

18. chuckster

IMO, that's on the parents and the technology of today. If parents make it a rule of no devices at live sporting events, theater, etc. or only during intermissions, then you get the kids more involved in what is going on in the game.

If the bagpipes and music during play went away, I would not miss either of them. It was great to watch the Heritage Cup without the annoying music (or PA guys shouting) during play, and it's great to watch summer ball without it, too. I suspect I'm in the minority on this, though......

19. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

It's a rare 5-10 year old that can stay into a game for long enough to watch all of it.

I make mine watch a 15 minute stretch, then give him the tablet for 5-10.

We will wean him off as he gets older.

20. AmericanRockFan

I won't lie, I went through a bit of a phone addiction phase in my mid-20s when the technology first came out. Once I disciplined myself to not miss out on life and enjoy what was going on around me, it became a non-issue. It never ceases to amaze me how many people pay to attend a sporting event just to sit there on their phone while the event goes on in the background.