Atmosphere

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Komarem, Dec 9, 2017.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I totally disagree that winning will not bring back fans. Outside of the NFL, people don't continually shell out money to watch a perpetual loser on the floor.

The NLL does not want its players fighting. The rules have changed to minimize that and it's just a matter of time before it's fully outlawed or leads to money out of the players' hands. You need to either adapt to that or start your own knuckle-dragger lacrosse league where guys like Brandon Francis can entertain you.

As Mr. Boo said, if you want to watch fighting in a sport, there are many other options for you.

BanditsRock11 likes this.
  2. Komarem

Komarem Guest

This is all true, but there is no denying that fights (or the the threat of fights) made the game edgier and more exciting. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Bandits set attendance records during the Brandon Francis era. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Toronto Rock still advertise fights on their radio commercials (“our fights make hockey fights look like pillow fights”). So, less fights does equal less excitement, which leads to less interest in the sport. Too bad the NLL had go all in and overboard with the concussion narrative.

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Fights I don’t care about
    The lack of hitting is watering down the game and whenever there’s a nice crunch it’s a penalty

4. Komarem

Komarem Guest

All part of the concussion paranoia. It’s ruining sports. Any big hit on the floor, ice, or a field is a guaranteed penalty.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i can do without the fighting, but, from a marketing perspective, two things are apparent

1. the crowd cheers louder for a fight than a goal,

2. The only videos that go viral outside of the fan base are brawls.

i say if growing the sport is your goal, embrace the rough ****, because it works better than touting the other merits

6. Gio

Gio Guest

https://nllchatter.com/2016/03/19/toronto-attendance-dropping-like-a-rock/

If winning brings back fans how come Toronto Rock attendance even after winning the cup in 2011 didn't rebound?

It's a fact not an opinion that the lack of fighting, big hits and cheap shots is driving away fans.
    I know a few good sports you anti fight people can watch... Curling, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Hockey...

Bring back guys like Brandon Francis... When he was on the team the energy in the building was electric.

This is entertainment... People at this game got their money's worth. See at 13 seconds when Darris Kilgour starts throwing punches. Listen to the crowd...

Oh wait... People complain about Sabres games being boring... Look how it was back in the day... Exciting.

Listen to the crowd...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    RockStar likes this.
  7. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Ask guys like Karsen Leung, Merrick Thomson, or Ken Montour if "concussion paranoia" is overblown. None of them will ever play lacrosse again because of concussions. Before you demand more fighting, think about the guys you're asking to potentially sacrifice their health for your entertainment.

Edited to add: Yes, I know none of these particular guys got their concussions from fighting but it's known that many NHL fighters have had repeated concussions and several have suffered and died from CTE.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

I never said winning would bring back fans. All I said was that that fighting (or lack thereof) isn't solely what's driving them away. The Washington Stealth (made Finals 3 out of 4 years, won it all once, still had crappy attendance) is a great example of how on-floor success doesn't always lead to big crowds. BTW I wrote that article.

You've made the claim that it's a fact, so prove it.

9. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

Buffalo likes winners. You want a better in game atmospshere, wins games. The people and their ruckus will come.

The Sabres have sucked for years and their attendance is way down. As soon as they start winning again, it won’t be.

It’s really that simple.

10. Komarem

Komarem Guest

Concussions have been around for as long as contact sports have existed. Players retiring due to repeated concussions, just as with other injuries, is nothing new. So why now all the hysteria? I’m not totally buying in on all the CTE nonsense. I played football for many years and also boxed. According to the most recent CTE study, virtually every former football player whose brain was examined showed signs of CTE. This included players who only went as far as high school ball. If I’m to believe this, then I too almost certainly have CTE. I feel fine. I don’t mind erring on the side of caution when it comes to head injuries, but I do believe the whole thing is overblown and the subsequent unnecessary changes being made to contact sports are adversely affecting the product.

11. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

All three of those players got their concussions long after the NLL ended the benchclearing brawls, added the instigator, and reduced the roster size to eliminate most fighting. Leung and Montour with out a doubt would not have suffered those cheap shots in the 90's because not only would the person taking the shot have taken a beat down that players team best player on the floor was also going to take a beat down. I think Thomsons was more of a freak injury. The lack of fighting has made the NLL less safe many more cheap shots and much more stick play.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Some truth to this. I think you've posted similar thoughts that I've had that only about one or two out of every three headshots actually gets penalized on the floor.....(and while this goes on, you get bullshit like Harnett being tagged with six games suspension for a hard lacrosse play on ?Noble? last year, that was, at most, a legit 2 minute call)

A handful of the uncalled ones get a post match review and discipline, but, the way they are calling instigator penalties lately mean that the villains have relatively little come-uppance to fear......unless they also happen to suffer an uncalled headshot at some point.

Like I said previously, I don't need the fighting for its entertainment value, but I feel it has marketing value, and, I am not sold that the sport is cleaner and with fewer significant head injuries now that it is being pushed out.

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It really is. Just win, baby.....at least when it comes to the teams at Key Bank Center.

14. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Crawford got suspended for his head-shot against Calgary but the refs on the floor missed a clear game misconduct
    In the past Crawford would have gotten his true penalty on the floor and would really think about leaving his feet to deliver a blow to the head. Last week no one from Calgary even gave him a dirty look.