Attendance - WTF?

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Mr Boo, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

According to the boxscore, the attendance at today's game was 14,618, which is the lowest attendance number of the year for Toronto. Probably 1,000 of those came up from Buffalo.

I realize a Sunday afternoon game isn't going to draw as well as Friday or Saturday night, but come on! We sold out the ACC for a meaningless game against Rochester -- I would have thought a playoff game against the Bandits would fill the place as well.

Then again, I predicted a low scoring Rock win, so what the hell do I know? :(

2. Chilehead

Chilehead New Member

They didn't even announce the attendance at the arena...That has to be a first !!!

Perhaps some of the fans didn't want to miss any of the Leaf game ?

I hope that the low attendance was not a bad omen for things to come.

Combine the low attendance, the punishing loss, and the fickleness of some Toronto fans (example:Blue Jays), the Rock's PR staff may have to do a little extra to ensure that they don't lose any of their fan base next season.

Just a thought.........

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  3. Teddy8030

Teddy8030 New Member

...we had our lowest attendended game of the year this weekend as well, not good for the playoffs.......you have the leafs, we have the avs, but the people should have been there.......let's all drink to Toronto and Colorado fans tonite, it's gonna be a long wait........

4. gorockgo

gorockgo New Member

Not everyone can see the entertainment/value ratio. Even if The Rock had a similar record to Anaheim...I still would renew my season tickets.

5. Teddy8030

Teddy8030 New Member

....win or lose, I will keep my season tix.....what a great live sport.....

6. powellfan22

powellfan22 New Member

ya know i understand where u guys would wonder why the low attendance, my thinking is that a lot of those people with pricing the way it is cannot afford tix to both thehockey playoff games and the lax games. I know myself personally would have a tough fight deciding if the sabres ever got back in the playoffs. i wouldn't worry all that much lets face toronto is a hockey town!!! and colorado well they go with whoever is poplular at the time hahahah!!!!

7. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

See my comments elsewhere about the DVP being closed and the Dalai Lama appearing at Skydome. Obviously, the Rock's Buddhist fanbase was next door at Skydome! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2004
  8. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

I believe that would be their Buddhist fanbase...

We figured the remaining 5,000 people that were missing from the game were all stuck on the QEW.

9. BARKS DAWG

BARKS DAWG Active Member

actually the attendance was not announced about 3

times in the 4 years i was with the rock.

it is a management call when to announce the crowd or not

and i guess since yesterday was far from a sell out

they only announced it in the box score

10. Rax the Mascot

Rax the Mascot New Member

I was talking to one of the ushers while walking through the ACC checking the place out because it was the first time I had been there, and he said they were only expecting around 12,000 for the game. So I guess, 14,000 is not to bad when you look at it that way. Btw, beautiful arena, the mens rooms a bit small, but a great place.

11. laxer7

laxer7 New Member

If you go back to previous years, you will find that playoff games with the possible exception of championship games have never drawn as well as the regular season games. There is nothing new to this pattern.

At this time of year all the hype in Toronto is always about the Leafs. It may be hard to even get air time. By the time media outlets are finished with the Leafs there sports coverage time is up.

12. gobandits86

gobandits86 New Member

you cant really call 14k low

13. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

I think if they started the season earlier and finished the Champion's Cup just before the NHL playoffs start, attendance wouldn't drop for the playoffs. Does anybody else find it pointless for this league to compete with the NHL and NBA playoffs?

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I miss the days where we could....

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i read a 2006 thread last night that discussed "the franchise's first three game losing streak" right before Keenan got the axe and Comeau resigned.

16. AmericanRockFan

I guess that means the 0-4 start in 2006 was the franchise's first 4-game losing streak, thus Sanderson should've gotten the axe THEN AND THERE! :mad:

RockStar likes this.
  17. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I miss those crowds sooooo much

18. RockStar

Mr0and5 had a hard time deciding whether he was a Rush fan or a Rock fan that year.

funny, i had forgotten about the 0 and 4 start in 06. Going 8-4 after that was pretty good, I guess, but, the start cost them any hope of a home playoff game, and, the wheels just came off in Rochester......was glad i was elsewhere and missed that abortion.

19. AmericanRockFan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Toronto_Rock_season

I remember telling a teacher at school after the Rock dropped the season opener in OT to Arizona that year that I was worried they'd start out 0-3, given the fact that they had to play Buffalo at home in week 2 and Rochester on the road in week 3. Given the fact that was when Buffalo practically always won in Toronto (while Toronto practically always won in Buffalo), and the Rock were still 5 years away from winning in Rochester. When the Rock blew a 3-0 lead in Buffalo in week 4 and lost 13-10, I was just..... :mad:

That week 3 loss to Rochester in 2006 was probably the worst Rock game I ever attended, at least until the opening week loss in Rochester the next year and then a loss in early 2016 in Rochester. That 2016 loss in Rochester (a 12-5 loss) was so bad I spent the 3rd quarter in the beer garden arguing (pretty heatedly) with some former members of this message board about where the Rock franchise was headed.

****, I forgot the Rock started 2016 0-6. I missed most of 2016 because the feeds the NLL were providing were bad, and well.... I guess that was the closest I ever came to jumping off the bandwagon.

20. RockStar

wowsers, did not remember 06 was that tumultuous!