Attendance - WTF?

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Mr Boo, Apr 25, 2004.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

it was not... They beat the Rush in game 5, and Mr0&5 went to Edmonton for a bit of February sunshine.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

In hindsight, I'd say my least favorite Rock seasons were 2007, 2009, and 2016. In order, probably 2016 because at least in 2007 and 2009 I felt like there was still some sort of hope for the future (okay, maybe not in 2009...), but 2016 felt like there was another dark ages that was about to hit. Fortunately, the Rock kinda dodged a bullet on that, at least for the time being.

3. RockStar

08 was more upsetting to me than 07 or 09 because it maybe did not have to end the way it did..... going well until the mid season trade. Was also upset that Veltman's last year was such a shtty one.

07 didn't bother me because it was obviously a rebuilding year at the get go, and, by the end of the season, some of the stuff was looking like it might work out.....

09 was hilariously bad, but, i had fun, anyway, because i burned my high priced lower bowl tix, and stopped caring who won or lost.....sat with a bigger and rowdier group upstairs and enjoyed going to games.

2016 was just frigging putrid.......and I would still love to know wtf happened in private that let Manning keep his job while Laddy was blamed for all of the shortcomings.

4. AmericanRockFan

True, 2007 ended with them holding their own in a playoff loss in Rochester, so even though they went 6-10 and lost in the playoffs, they still had something positive to build on.

The 2008 season for me was definitely annoying with the way it ended, but probably the fact that they started out 7-4 had me a little optimistic that maybe it come together in 2009.

2009.... yeah, let's forget that ****.

2016... There's some guys on that team that only 2 years later I don't even remember played for the Rock :eek:

Honestly, I had bad expectations leading into 2017. I remember going to the season opener in Rochester, expecting the Rock to get their asses handed to them.... and then they beat Rochester 12-5 :confused:

5. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

this friday may be a new attendance record for worst crowd..... :mad::mad::eek:

6. AmericanRockFan

I don't know about the worst but it looks like it'll be top 10 worst crowd material, which will take a crowd of 8,385 or less. The worst crowd ever is the New England playoff game last May which drew 6,260. Worst regular season game is February 20, 2015 versus New England, which brought in 7,743.

On the positive side, 30 games have had worse crowds than the home game versus Buffalo two weeks ago :p

7. RockStar

They really need to have Rock staff walking through, finding folks in single-game seats, and handing them "buy two get one free" vouchers.

Last game had scoreboard pwnage and fisticuffs, the likes of which have not been seen in a couple of NLL seasons........most of the walk-ups from that game would have been back

BestSeatinHouse likes this.
  8. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

Hand them out to everyone. Season ticket holders can give them to friends.
    Buy one get one free

9. BAM! someone get this guy a job with the rock

10. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

now that would be fun :D

11. Gio

Gio Guest

The Toronto Marlies give out tones vouchers and free tickets and they can't fill Ricoh...
    I think next year the upper bowl at the ACC needs to be closed and you have to try to fill the almost 10,000 lower bowl seats.
    There is too much supply for demand right now... You can't count on walk ups... You have to get as many season ticket holders as possible.

I would actually like to meet Jamie Dawick. He passed by me in the platinum lounge vs the Bandits but he was in a rush.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. RockStar

even in their heyday, they never had more than 9k season ticket holders, so, if a full lower bowl is your goal, you still need to market aggressively to potential walkups and cultivate repeat business if you get new walkups.

13. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

it is getting worse and worse. Their current marketing strategy has not been working.
    time to change it up

14. AmericanRockFan

The thing is, I don't know how to change it. I'm in the target demo (18-34; or at least, what should be their target demo) and even I don't know how I can get more of my friends to go to games. A lot of them think lacrosse is lame because:
    • Guys have real jobs
    • The Rock "needed" hockey personnel like Joe Bowen or Wendel Clark to make Colin Doyle's retirement night seem "legitimate"
    • Nobody goes to games
    • They don't know who's on the team
    • Games aren't even on tv
    • Games aren't even on the radio
    • It's not on the level of the major sports

I really think the Marlies coming to Toronto did take away some of the casual audience. By that, I mean those who couldn't afford to take their kids to Leafs or Raptors games now had another family friendly affordable option to take them to in the winter time.

If I lived in the metro Toronto area, there's few things I'd like more than bringing the Rochester Stock Exchange experience to Toronto. I'd love to be able to go out with friends pre-game, go to the game, and then go out afterward and wake up with a hangover the next morning (...although at 29, I'm a little less tolerant of hangovers these days...).

15. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

Joe Bowen used to call the games on tv so at least there is a reason why he was there

16. AmericanRockFan

That's what I said. I also included that Clark was originally a minority owner in the original consortium.

17. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

ya i thought that about Clark as well

18. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

anyways damn they have been fun to watch the last two games. Keep it up team!

19. AmericanRockFan

Maybe the Rock should use Shoots and Ladders for their entrance, that'll pack the fans back into the ACC!

chuckster likes this.
  20. AmericanRockFan

My optimism about the crowd tonight has waned a little bit. I hope they can get at least 7,000 customers in the barn tonight :oops: