Attendance - WTF?

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Mr Boo, Apr 25, 2004.

1. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was debating going, but I have plans that weekend so I'll just live without a Merrill bobblehead in the collection :p

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Can't remember......but, my daughter saw the ad on the video board, so, now I am stuck taking her. .......And signing up for the stupid cheerleader event because I can't take her, and have her see that happening without being in the mix.

The joys !

4. AmericanRockFan

Since the lack of Paul Rabil in the Rock lineup is leading to such stagnant crowds, here's a video I found of Paul Rabil meeting with Gary Vaynerchuk last month.
    (Rabil is at 2:25 - 5:05).

So.... CUE THE RUMORS OF NLL AND PAUL RABIL TO NEW YORK WITH GARY VEE AS THE MAJORITY SHAREHOLDER!

5. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I like the promotion idea for the game on the 11th, buy 1 get 1 kids ticket free. Thumbs up!

6. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

Marlies 100% had a negative effect. Cheap night watching "real athletes" play a "real sport" that Canadians care about more than life vs probably a more expensive night watching "regular no name guys" playing a "fake" sport.

Im assuming Marlies are cheaper than the rock? If so that should probably be addressed.

I am also 29 and hangovers are bullshit. Gone are the days of rage rest repeat. Now its happy hour, die the next day, 9-5.

7. RockStar

Used to be able to get $10 end tickets for Marlies regular season games. Even at full freight, the best seats in the house are a lot cheaper than the best seats in the Rock house, and the cheapies are comparable.

Concessions are cheaper than the ACC. Not by a huge amount, but, noticeably cheaper.

For the kids, they have interactive shooting games, air hockey, bouncy castles, etc.

They have a pretty good in-house entertainment package that gets the kids into it.

Kid friendly matinee games on many weekends - Saturday afternoon is a typical home game, because, you don't want to compete with the inevitable Saturday evening Laff home or road game.

The team has been decent to watch, like, never missing the playoffs and often going deep.

I would say that they have stolen a whole lot of family class fans, and even casual sports fans.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  8. MILLwasbetter

you mean buy 1 pay for 2 isn't a good selling point??? like anyone could even know that!!!

9. RockStar

Add in the fact that the Laffs and Raptors are infinitely more watchable than they were through a lot of the Rock's heyday, which hurts the whole Rock season.

The Jays have been a lot better too which hurts sales in the later half of the season (yet another reason to just get this stupid reg. season done in April and get the whole thing done by early May.....no one has time to start giving a shtt about baseball)

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  10. RockStar

Toronto supporters also do have sort of a Stock Exchange thing happening - decent sized group gets together at Astors on Front E before games and after games. Difference is the owner is nowhere nearly as engaged as John, and the Roadie group is nowhere nearly as big a percentage of the total crowd......Astors is, I think, a bigger bar, and Front E between Church and Jarvis is whole lot livelier on a winter weekend evening than Main between State and St. Paul.......

11. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

True, but the average blue collar working sports fan can't afford to get in for the Leafs or Raptors. If they want to get their sports fix for a professional team, the Rock is a good outlet.

12. MILLwasbetter

Sounds like the Marlies really had a big impact. Hockey, pricing, atmosphere, winning. Also, and it may just be me, but when NLL teams that started out with a blue collar atmosphere try to move the environment to what is a false big time league atmosphere, it doesn't work. The rock In the garden had that. Also have to keep in mind the rock had big crowds when the rock won the cup every year. What's left are the actual fans of the team and sport. Could / would the rock ever go to where the marlies play and would they succeed there?

13. MILLwasbetter

Theyre a good outlet, but I'm willing to bet hockey wins everytime up there. They care about glorified High school hockey enough to travel in droves for it (world juniors). Pay less to see something they care about vs pay more to watch a niche sport.

14. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

keep in mind they had much larger crowds at the ACC than they did at the gardens until late 2000s. I don't think playing at the ACC is to blame in any way.
    The capacity of Ricoh Coliseum is a mere 7,779 according to wikipedia. It is less accessible to get to via transit as it is not directly on the subway line, and holds fewer butts than the rock get per game now. I don't think it is a realistic option. Also I like getting to watch them at the ACC so i hope they don't ever switch!

15. RockStar

The value of the event goes down if it is at Ricoh......that is a good venue for what it is, but, it is definitely tier three minor league.

Perfect for the Marlies.....rarely more than half full for a regular season game, starts getting filled for deciding games in first round of playoffs, and from then on.

16. MILLwasbetter

So we have a huge no going there. Could another reason the Rock may have had so much early success, on top of winning in the 2000s, be that people just wanted to get into the ACC? It was brand new and leafs tickets are unobtainable. Winning helped but last cup the Rock didn't have nearly the numbers they once did. Maybe the new arena had a big reason to do with everything.

17. AmericanRockFan

Alright, here's my take on the last few things posted:
    •I think the Rock moving to Ricoh would be a mistake. While on the surface it would make sense to move the team averaging 9,000 into a venue that seats around that. But I think attendance would drop for a variety of reasons (it's a little further from downtown, and it would signal a white flag to the casual observer)
    •Like I said before, I think the Marlies really did ultimately lead to the Rock's decline. Maybe the Rock need to recognize they're in competition with the Marlies to an extent?
    •Stock Exchange > Jack Astor's. Mainly I just don't like Jare :p

RockStar likes this.
  18. AmericanRockFan

And I don't necessarily miss being able to drink without the ill effects, I just miss being able to do so if I choose :oops:

19. RockStar

if you want to, you can get into the building with nosebleed seats for less than a day's pay ;)

i was mostly referring to the fact that when the team is winning, a casual fan might choose to watch tv at home or a bar rather than go to a live tier two event.

20. RockStar

he has amassed an interesting cast of characters.