1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Attendance - WTF?

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Mr Boo, Apr 25, 2004.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

This might be a bigger issue than most people realize. I've stayed home plenty of times to watch the Jays or Rock on TV at home over watching a live sporting event in person. At least a couple times this year I've stayed home from an Amerks game to watch the Rock on NLLTV, or have at least left the Amerks game early to watch the Rock (or some other event, such as UFC or Bellator).

2. AmericanRockFan

That and I feel like he soapboxes every chance he gets, plus he was kinda a dick to my friends at the post game party after Colin Doyle day last year. And Jare if you're reading this, I'll say it to your face at Fann Cup in Philadelphia this July :mad:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  3. AmericanRockFan

I do sorta wonder if marketing to the hipster crowd would benefit the Rock at all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  4. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

loads of tickets available behind the goalies for this Saturday. I hope they sell a lot this week.

5. AmericanRockFan

I'm not sure if I like the whole #LikeMySport form of advertising the Rock have in their radio ad where they seem to put down all the other sports....

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Maybe......but, they would need to make it far more "unique", "ironic", "campy", something.

They would have to do what a few of us were figuring all along and embrace all of the stuff - ridiculous hits, fighting, Cordingley-unleashing-F-bombs-at-referees-in-a-way-that-would-make-a-sailor-with-Tourettes-blush - that other rough sports have decided are beneath them.

7. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

looks like they will be around 10k again.

8. AmericanRockFan

Lower bowl does look pretty well sold for tomorrow unless they're holding a bunch of seats for groups who could be subject to last second cancellations. The center of the upper deck looks rather solid as well.

9. AmericanRockFan

Unless they pull a Philadelphia 2006 style comeback, this crowd ain't gonna go home happy and the positive word of mouth advertising ain't gonna happen....

10. RockStar

10,600 announced....and they watched the Rock lay an egg for almost two full quarters

11. AmericanRockFan

So, attendance is barely a touch up from where things stood after 7 games last season. It looks like the Rock are averaging 9,364 through 7 games, last year they were at 9,315 before finishing up with 9,624 on average.

If you take out the one really bad weather outlier, they're average 9,742 for the season. 3 straight crowds of over 10,000 has been nice, and hadn't occurred since the middle of the 2015 season.

It'd be pretty swell if they could find a way to get the season average up over 10,000 for the year.

12. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

On a more positive note:
    This Friday's game looks like it will have the highest attendance for a Rock home game this season. The last bunch of games have been 10k +. Definitely a step in the right direction.

I don't think the early games experiment was a big success in terms of attendance. Might be better to start the season in Jan.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Right now, the league as a whole is only down 471 people on average from all of last year. And there are still 2 home games to come for each of the top 3 teams in attendance -- Sask., Colorado and Buffalo. The Rock is only down 144 people in average attendance from all of 2017. With 1 home game left, they could end up virtually flat....and so could the league as a whole.

If the NLL wants to expand the number of games, their options are to start earlier or to go later. I think they're choosing to go earlier.

14. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

if i had to choose earlier vs later, earlier would definitely win

15. chuckster

I would choose January-April with playoffs in May done by Memorial Day with teams playing every weekend, sometimes twice in a weekend (spread equally among teams), and only 1 bye week per team.

But if the league is going to a 20 game regular season, they can't do that kind of schedule in that time frame.....especially with arena availability being limited in some markets.

MILLwasbetter and RockStar like this.
  16. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

definitely a lot more upper bowl tickets sold than the norm. Lower bowl is close to sold out.
    Should be a good one.

17. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

If the NLL goes to 20 games average attendance will plummet as marginal season ticket holders are forced out by season ticket price.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  18. chuckster

I agree with that. Even though it's only 1 more game, it could add in some markets as much as $50 more per season ticket. I could see teams offering mini-packs to try and keep people.

19. AmericanRockFan

Do many teams offer mini packs for the NLL? My parents got me a two ticket voucher thing for the Knighthawks for Christmas but I don't recall seeing many other teams offering similar packages.

20. RockStar

rock did a six ticket flex pack and a four game flex pack this year.

the six ticket pack was cheaper than group tickets, so, I did a forty-strong group outing this year with 6 six packs my own three tickets, and one spare from a voucher I had.