B/R Live = Sucks

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Dec 15, 2018.

1. liveone

liveone Active Member

I've played several games in Chrome on my second monitor and haven't had an issue. Even had multiple games on at once (Roku + PC) and didn't have a hiccup.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

^^this. Rokus etc are probably using roughly the same protocol as the embedded player in the browser window.....a supported browser on a good, clean, PC probably works just as well. Always has for me anyway.

3. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

You can buy a Roku stick for as cheap as 30 bucks and you’ll see every game without problems

4. MrWilson

MrWilson Member

I had no issues watching the ROC @ BUF game Saturday through chrome in my laptop hooked via HDMI to my TV.

Actually, the only issue I had was watching the $hit show that KHawks put on...they were terrible.

5. theSloth

theSloth Member

The 'reviews' of the various viewing platforms here are all over the map. What works for some, doesn't work for others. It's like TripAdvisor. I stayed in a hotel that I hated so much I wrote a scathing review. My review was surrounded by glowing ones. I am tempted to try a Roku, but, I'm kind of tired of throwing good money after bad. I will try switching browsers.

6. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

You can get a cheap Roku stick for about 30 bucks. Well worth it for a solid viewing experience.

7. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I'd spend the extra money and get an actual one. The stick is so damn slow, you'll pull your hair out.

You can often find the Roku Ultra on sale for around $50. Well worth the extra $20.

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Can somebody explain something to me? I am ignorant here, so help me out.

How does a streaming stick or other casting device help if the Internet connection itself may be the issue? (And I am not 100% convinced it is.)
    I have no clue as to why I am having issues.
    • I have a strong Internet signal yet I get dropped connections or simple freezes.
    • Even if I try to watch on my Android phone (LG G3) and have 4 bars and infinite data on Verizon, I get the same thing. Now that's a completely different technology and Internet access path.
    So how is a streaming stick going to help me if I cast from my phone or my Wi-Fi?

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Prolly less strain on the network running from a steaming stick or device

No ads to slow it down no bloatware

10. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

I agree. I have the Ultra and it works great.

11. RockStar

I don't truly understand how the "magic smoke" works, so, take this with an entire shaker of salt.

All I can tell you is that I looked at streaming devices a couple of years back when some NLL games were on TSN2. I had a legit cable subscription to TSN1, 3,4 and 5, but, it was going to be a lot of dollars to get the next tier cable package for TSN2, and, it was richer than I was willing to pay for a handful of out of market games.

So, I backdoored myself some access to TSN2's IP streaming service, and, tried to figure out how to get it onto my TV. At first, I used my cheap android tablet with an HDMI wire.....but, that was not great. Resolution was OK ish, but, the picture was shrunk a bit with navigation icons etc. on the TV screen.

Then, upgraded to a chromestick. The picture was better, but, I got nervous as hell with how much heat was being generated by that generation of chromestick......Effing hot!

So, I built myself a homemade "Chromebox" (open source version of Chrome OS rammed onto an old AMD/Intel desktop) and connected that to the HDMI port on the TV.
    Bitchin! But, would only work as well as my internet (fortunately, rock solid!)

Anyway, If internet, or network reliability is the problem, I think you're hooped and a streaming stick simply won't help.....

When you get down to it, all any of those devices areis a simple WIFI enabled computer with a rudimentary OS, some networking applications and a suite of internet navigation and media playback software......User I/O is either through a packaged remote, or an app that runs on a phone or tablet.

So, seeing as all these things are is a dumb/limited computer.............well......if you can't stream reliably to a 'good' computer running a 'good' browser, I cannot imagine the stick helping the situation.

As far as the problem - Now, you say that you normally have strong internet (lots of bars) and decent speed, but, occasionally stuff drops out. It sounds like it is a peak instantaneous demand thing.......like, the capacity of the WIFI router is normally at, like, 85%.....but all of a sudden, a few folks make 'requests' for high bandwidth usage......and it's at 105% so there's a traffic jam, and, you are one of the random folks whose packets get delayed/lost/whatever. Alternatively, I guess it might be a traffic jam on whatever the hotel ISP access point is.

Dunno, but, it might be a similar issue where the nearest access point gets taxed to the max periodically and the resulting traffic jam interrupts service.

Bad news is, other than changing phone providers, I don't think there is S.F.A. you can do to make this better.

I think your problems are deeper than the limitations of the media playback device software, or the hardware/ OS it runs on......I think the streaming device will not address, whether you call it Chromestick, Firestick, Roku, or AppleTV.

Piqued my interest a bit......I am going to see if 2600 has any articles where some dweeb hacked around on a Roku or anything similar to see what makes it tick

12. theSloth

theSloth Member

Roku boxes don't seem to be that abundant around here. A Roku Stick at Best Buy ( Canada ) is around $50 Canadian. I can get a Roku Ultra from Amazon US for $92.50 USD shipped to Point Roberts, USA. I will probably ponder that for the rest of the season, while attempting to watch random games on the laptop. What might really kick me into gear is... My son's NCAA games are broadcast on the GLVC network, and they are on Roku. I've never had many issues watching them on the laptop, though. If I missed a game due to streaming issues, I'd be driving down to WA State to buy a Roku that day.

13. liveone

liveone Active Member

There are a number of reasons why one platform may have better stream than another. It won't if you are casting from your phone or chromebook. With casting you're going to get a mirror image of what's on your phone - it won't have any effect on the stream from B/R Live.

That said, using the Roku directly with the hotel internet may improve things. It also may not, so I'd save your receipt. The Roku may be working better than other devices for a number of reasons - it may use different encoding methods, its entire existence is dedicated to receiving and assembling streaming data and not the 5000 other things a PC or phone is doing in the background so it is more efficient, or it may have more memory dedicated to buffering than a browser or phone app.

In the meantime, there's a few things you can do to try to at least figure out where your problem lies. First, from your chromebook on the hotel wi-fi you can go to https://www.where-am-i.co/my-ip-location . This will throw up a google map of where your connection to the internet is physically located. Being a hotel it could be the next town over or 2 states away. It all depends on where the hotel gets their service from. If it's somewhere more than 30 miles away or so, it may be that the hotel is contracting out service to a larger network. These larger networks provide service to hundreds of customers and their network management policies or hardware may be causing lag or service interruptions.

Second, you can actually map the path from your room to the B/R Live servers. From a chromebook, open a command prompt (I think it's Ctrl+Alt+T) and type "tracepath bleacherreport.com". What follow is a list of every single connection between you and b/r along with the time it takes for a data packet to get between them. Larger numbers are going to cause a problem. Anything over 150ms would probably be considered abnormal since you staying the North America.

If you're seeing high times at the beginning of the report, the problem is likely your local (hotel) network. These addresses will usually start with 10, 172, or 192 or a hop right after. Long times in the middle usually indicate a slowdown somewhere on the internet and aren't the fault of you or B/R. Of course, if there's a really lag spike at the end it's the fault of B/R. It's not unusual to see a big spike at any destination that services a lot of customer, though, so I would think that it would have to be really big to be a B/R problem.

Keep in mind, too, that these are the times for data to get from you to B/R and not B/R to you. These paths change constantly, too, based on hundreds of factors including fastest path, traffic congestion, and hardware failures. IT would definitely help to do this several times throughout the day or during a game - especially when you are having stream problems.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    RockStar and Mr Boo like this.
  14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of that info!
    I've got a lot to learn.

About a streaming device like Roku, believe it or not, I have another problem... The HDMI port on the TV (which I assume exists - it's a new TV) I believe is in a practically impossibly accessible location on the TV (which hangs on the wall above the immovable dresser).

If I can access the HDMI port, I might just get a Roku Ultra anyway, regardless of the NLL.

Another tangential question:

Is there a way to have multiple streaming devices hooked-up to a TV? For instance, does such a thing as an "HDMI splitter" exist which I'd plug into the TV's HDMI port, but the splitter itself has 2 or more HDMI ports. Thus, one can plug in a Roku and a Chromecast and an Amazon Fire Stick, etc. I really don't know my ass from my elbow on this stuff because, frankly, I've never really needed it.

15. Bandits37

Bandits37 Active Member

Yes they do have HDMI splitters if you dont have enough ports, they're pretty cheap too. Same thing with an HDMI extender if you have trouble reaching the port on your TV, though i'd imagine the splitter is kinda the same deal so why double dip.

Nowadays Roku, Firestick or Chromecast are really the only way to go. TV cable boxes are dead/too expensive. You can get everything you would ever want or need for less money by apps and subscribing. I have Directv Now, Netflix, Hulu and Prime and get literally all the stuff i used to watch for more then $100 less then cable

BenMitchell likes this.
  16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The ironic thing for me is that I don't want or need any of those services.

Netflix rarely has anything that I want to see.
    DirectTV Now I __might__ be interested in.
    I have no interest in Prime or YouTube TV or whatever the highest platform YouTube is ___other___ than maybe watching YouTube videos on my phone but still use other apps.
    Hulu irks me because I'd want to watch Star Trek, but then I am forced to watch 40-th Anniversary F*cked-up ... uh, "remastered" ... Star Trek which is pure crap.

The things I __really__ want to watch are some of the "lower channels". For instance, I like the Heroes and Icons network.
    I don't understand why, if we could men on the moon 50 years ago, we can't let over-the-air broadcasters stream on their own.
    For instance, I am in Connecticut full-time, but I live in Missouri. What if I want to watch the local Missouri NBC station (KSDK) each morning so I can stay in touch with home? OK, sure, I'm not going to get KSDK broadcast over-the-air to my Connecticut TV, but I should be able to go to KSDK.com and stream live whatever they are broadcasting. So, what lawyers or industry lobbying groups are legally preventing this from happening?

It's sh*t like which has alienated me so much from viewing anything except a printed book.

Sorry to rant. I'm getting old.

17. RockStar

Just a thought - do you know your TV's HDMI port works?

Some hotels lock them down (so you're stuck buying movies from their shtty service rather than plugging in your own Netflix/whatever.)

I've hacked a few back on by downloading a remote control app for the specific TV model and toggling "HOTEL MODE" to OFF through the menu structure.

18. theSloth

theSloth Member

That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :cool:

Further to the Roku thing. Do all Roku boxes have LAN ports? I have wired internet right beside my TV, and feel better about the speed / connection using it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

The stick doesn't, but the rest should.

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

No, I don't know if the HDMI port works but I am in a simple Red Roof Inn. No movies to buy or anything like that - just basic cable plus 3 channels of HBO.