Bandits acquire Corey Small and draft picks from Vancouver for Mitch Jones and draft picks

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Torbald2895, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Torbald2895

Torbald2895 Member

The Buffalo Bandits today announced the team has acquired forward Corey Small, a conditional second-round pick in the 2020 NLL Entry Draft and a conditional second-round pick in the 2022 NLL Entry Draft from the Vancouver Warriors in exchange for forward Mitch Jones, a conditional second-round pick in the 2020 NLL Entry Draft and a conditional second-round pick in the 2022 NLL Entry Draft, pending league approval.

Small (5’10”, 205 lbs., 3/23/1987) joins the Bandits after spending the previous four seasons with Vancouver. In 133 career games, he has totaled 560 points (230+330) and earned All-Pro First Team honors in 2017.

A nine-year NLL veteran, Small played for the Edmonton Rush of the first five years of his career (2010-2015), recording 217 points (88+129) and recovering 200 loose balls in 64 games played. A native of St. Catharines, Ontario, Small was selected by Edmonton in the first round (9th overall) in the 2009 NLL Entry Draft after playing collegiately for the Albany Great Danes from 2006 to 2009.

Jones spent the past five seasons with the Bandits, recording 199 points (90+109) and collecting 366 loose balls in 60 games played.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

You beat me to it!

Bandits fans on Facebook are going to lose their minds over this. The trade reads like a BC guy going to BC for a St. Catharines guy coming back East. Also, some picks thrown in going both ways.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So each team gets a forward and two conditional draft picks in the same draft? This seems to be about as even of a trade as you can get.

4. chuckster

Conditional 2nd rounders going back each way. I wonder what it takes for each player or team to do to make the picks into 1st rounders.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I think both sides can arguably call this a win now.....lets see how it looks at the end of the season.

Buffalo might be really fun to watch.

6. R.J

R.J Guest

Good trade for both teams, but I'd give the edge to Vancouver. St. Catherines boy for Vancouver boy, but Jones is 4 years younger, and IMO hasn't reached his ceiling.

7. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

I agree. Hate to lose Mitch Jones. A popular player and only 27 years old. Have to link the player's home geography was the key in this deal.

8. R.J

R.J Guest

We know it was for Small, but considering Jones lives in Vancouver I think it's safe to assume so.

9. unspoken

unspoken Member

If I read it correctly, basically the conditions are Buffalo finishing better than Vancouver. So if Buffalo's 2nd round pick is lower than Vancouver's, they swap spots in that round. Makes sense since Buffalo is getting an older guy who I believe is a UFA next year.

10. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this deal Small has had a decent career but has never really stood out. Mitch is a two way force who can be moved around when injuries start to mount.

11. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

This deal was talked about during the draft. The story THEN was that Corey needed to come east. Many people thought it would happen during the draft.
    I don't think Mitch got the credit he deserved for his play. I guess he just isn't flashy enough. People seem to only notice the obvious.
    That said, Corey should add a lot to our offense. Looking forward to what he can do.

12. RockStar

Not to mention that the top 3 lefty attackers on Buffalo were already one of the team's brightest spots, and, other than ?early 30s? Benesch, very youthful

Small might add to productivity, but, there is a risk that it Fs with good chemistry and actually makes things worse.

13. chuckster

But isn't that the risk of any trade? We know that Small already moved back East but if Jones wanted to go back West, then this trade kind of forces itself. And Small for Jones, if your hand as GM is kind of forced, makes sense.

In looking at East rosters, there are very limited partners to get a lefty forward West guy playing East to come back West. The Rock have Reinholdt, the Wolves have Crowley, the Swarm have King, the Bandits had Jones and Byrne (although Byrne is also playing MLL in the East). So either you swing a trade for one of those guys or a young East guy who can uproot to go West or future draft picks.

14. RockStar

last post had no thoughts on why this trade happened......just that Small is not as versatile (mtbf's point) and that the new unit might not work as well as the old

Completely agree with you that hands might have been forced, and both sides had to make the best of it