Bandits acquire Thomas Hoggarth from Vancouver for Pat Saunders

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Torbald2895, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Torbald2895

Torbald2895 Member

BANDITS ACQUIRE HOGGARTH FROM STEALTH
    2/5/2018 3:24:00 PM / Bandits Public Relations

The Buffalo Bandits today announced the team has acquired transition player Thomas Hoggarth from the Vancouver Stealth in exchange for forward Pat Saunders.

Hoggarth (6’3”, 205 lbs., 10/20/1995) was selected 20th overall in the 2015 NLL Draft by the Georgia Swarm. Since joining the Stealth in the 2016 season the Lakefield, Ontario native, Hoggarth has appeared in 24 games, totaling eight goals and four assists. He also has 44 loose-balls recoveries and 15 created turnovers during his three-year NLL career.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Saunders was in and out of the lineup but that goal he scored in OT vs. the Rush was absolutely huge. Losing some lefty depth (Hoggarth is a righty) so let's hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

3. lofflersd

lofflersd Member

Hoggarth is a def-tranny guy, not a forward.

4. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

We've been banged up on the back end. I like this deal it addresses a need. Pat is kind of victim of a numbers game here. With how well Durston and Byrne are playing his playing time been limited.

I not concerned about the lefty depth as we have Zach Herreweyers on the practice squad as insurance.

We also have two first round picks in the next draft. I feel that we're finally getting to a comfortable position with our personnel.

5. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Yup, they said Herreweyers is now the depth lefty guy. Saunders was the odd man out and they got some nice transition back.

6. fandit

fandit Active Member

I felt they were hanging on to Saunders as bait for the Wings expansion draft, considering how long he played there. So getting something for him is much better than the alternative. I like Hoggarth's size and speed. 8 goals in 24 games is respectable. I'm very happy with this move.
    Good deal for the Stealth as well, as they know who Philly will "expand" with from their roster.

7. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Unfortunately Hoggarth has not looked right since his knee injury in Orangevilles minto run a few years ago.

8. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

And that Durston trade was utter stupidity.

9. fandit

fandit Active Member

I assume you mean for the Bandits? :confused:

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

How so? Durston has 8 goals in 7 games and Malcom has 7 goals in 8 games. Sure Durston has more assists but the Bandits are moving the ball around quite a bit.

I think the trade was one of those geography trades where an East player in the West went East and a West player in the East went West.

11. LordStanley1893

I think he means a bad trade for Vancouver which I agree with. Durston is posting better numbers in most categories with one less game played. Malcom may end up being a player with more points and long career ahead of him but Durston is a more valuable player.

12. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Malcolm is too small to be an effective picksetter. Durston has an extremely developed all around game and is better equipped to go to the greasy places. He was a player I really enjoyed watching.

13. LordStanley1893

Interesting thoughts from Stephen Stamp on the trade.

The Saunders for Hoggarth Trade
    * I was surprised to see this trade happen. It boils down to a 22-year-old potential rising star transition player being swapped out for a 28-year-old lefty forward who looked like he was on the way out in Buffalo anyway. I just have a hard time seeing the benefit for Vancouver in the trade. Let's break it down a bit.

* Thomas Hoggarth is in his third NLL season after being taken second overall by Georgia in the 2015 draft but being released by the Swarm early in camp then picked up by the Stealth. He has 12 points and 15 caused turnovers in 24 career games. Hoggarth's playing time has been limited both by injury issues and his need to develop more consistently sound decision-making habits at the pro level but he is an intriguing prospect with the size to be a solid defender, the speed to contribute in transition and the skill to fill in at forward when needed. He had some very good games for Vancouver and should have plenty more for the Bandits.

* Patrick Saunders is a former 44-goal scorer who last year potted 27 between New England and Buffalo, his fourth straight season of 25 or more goals. That is impressive, but this year he was a fairly regular healthy scratch for the Bandits. The problem for Saunders is that he is a good catch and shoot scorer but his game is limited. With Mitch Jones and first-overall pick Josh Byrne the clear top dogs on the left side of Buffalo's offence, and Jordon Durston playing a game combining true grit with highlight-reel skill, there isn't much of a role for Saunders to play with the team. He isn't particularly effective or dedicated to the off-ball game and he's been known to linger on the floor rather than sprinting off to get the defenders out. Saunders said all the right things when he announced he had been traded, saying he is dedicated to settings picks and doing whatever he needs to to help the Stealth win games. And good for him if he can come in and do so. But he hasn't shown a particular aptitude for playing that kind of game and he's not going to get a ton of shooting chances on the same side as Corey Small and Logan Schuss, who have earned their touches.

Maybe there's something more to this trade that I'm not seeing, but at first blush it looks like a clear win for Buffalo.

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

love watching durston

15. LordStanley1893

As do I. I'm hoping the Bandits protect him from the expansion draft.