Bandits sign G Zach Higgins

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by BanditsRock11, Dec 26, 2017.

1. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

1 year deal. Maybe means big fish is out a while.

2. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Probably the best NLL ready goalie available. The game against the Rock is critical. I see Acton picked up a knock and the brought Reid into the the lineup. Interesting not start to Schott who was already on the roster.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

As is typical NLL, no details about Diruscio or even if the goalie they already have on the practice squad (Abrams) stays on the practice squad.

4. LordStanley1893

That's interesting to me as well. Is there really any danger a team picks up Abrams or is this an expansion thing(not that there are public details of how it will work)? If Abrams is your third why doesn't he take the spot or just have Higgins on the PS to begin with.

I was surprised/not surprised that there seemed to be no quotes from Bandits (or Rochester for that matter) personnel after Saturday's game.

5. fandit

fandit Active Member

Maybe, just maybe, this is also about Buque. Fish goes down and the team may be worried about Buque psyche after being roasted. Higgins gives them someone who can start now, if needed.

6. LordStanley1893

That's a good point. Higgins is good insurance, it is too bad that he has not been able to match his MSL numbers in the NLL yet.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Down to the ?first? and third goalie now.

After Priolo running Rose in game 1, I think I'd have Hickey and Mcardle dive shooting a couple times each in the first.

8. Komarem

Komarem Guest

Anybody know what Brandon Miller is up to? Did he retire? I’d have thought he’d be the guy in a situation like this. Especially given that he played really well this summer for Chugger, Rich and Tavares. To be honest, he’d probly be the #1 on this team.

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

He’s on Toronto

10. Komarem

Komarem Guest

Thanks. I though he was a free agent and I heard nothing about him this offseason.

11. chuckster

IIRC, Goods said in one of his articles in the News that Diruscio was on a crutch after the game. Still, it would be great to know if Diruscio is out long term.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Just had a gander at ALL rosters from last year, and, there were not a lot of names that jumped out at me. Did not scour practice squad names to see if there was opportunity to poach one of those guys.....I thought you could reach out to them, and make an offer, and the other team had to either activate him right away, or release him to talk terms with the new team, but, after years of Kilgour and Styres creative roster manipulation, that might be changed now.

Guessing Higgins probably was the most experienced guy available.

Just pondering this - we go to, like, four more teams in the NLL, and, every single one of the ALL starters will have an NLL job if they want it.

That's a bit of a scary thought.

And, I guess I'd better start scouting for a new beer league goalie, because, my guy might have an opportunity to step up and take over the backup gig in the ALL :D.

13. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they have/had to do that, but it might've just been a case where teams weren't going to stand in the way of a guy making a living since I believe players on the practice squad don't even get paid (or receive a very small amount). I say that because when the Rock scooped up Brendan Thenhaus from the Bandits' practice squad I recall someone from the Bandits' organization (perhaps the GM?) saying something like "I'm not going to stand in the way of Brendan making a living."

In other news, will NLL expansion result in Thrillis getting an NLL job next season?! :eek::confused:

14. chuckster

I think that did change where teams couldn't poach players like that.

15. hustler45

hustler45 New Member

Maybe they should trade for Doug Jamieson? Oh wait Chugger already passed on him to draft Kevin Orleman. o_OWhoops

16. chuckster

Zing! And well deserved. Chugger had Jamieson, Hill and Orleman to choose from at that draft.....you would think a GM who is a Hall of Fame goalie would know what to look for in a goalie.

17. LordStanley1893

Yes Jamieson and his 0.692 career NLL save percentage . Jamieson may be a fulltime starter in the future, but he is not the player we need now (neither is Orleman).