Bandits trade Alex Buque to the Black Wolves for a 2021 first round draft pick

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Torbald2895, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Torbald2895

Torbald2895 Member

The Buffalo Bandits today announced that the team acquired a first-round pick in the 2021 NLL Draft from the New England Black Wolves in exchange for goaltender Alex Buque, pending league approval.

Buque was acquired by the Bandits on Aug. 1, 2017 via a trade with the Colorado Mammoth. In one season with the Bandits, Buque played in 18 games, holding a 6-6 record with a .771 save percentage and a 12.94 goals-against average.

2. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

So the Bandits have left on their roster the highly erratic Higgins (2-4 save 75%) and a OLA jr A goalie Shanahan who only played in 21 games in 4 years with around a 65% save percentage in small nets. Should be a good next three seasons as we wait for our draft pick.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Just on the surface, getting a 1st rounder for Buque is a steal. They essentially flipped Benesch for Crawford and Crawford for Evans. But sending the 4th rounder for Buque and then flipping him for a 1st rounder is a great flip. The 1st rounder will be in a potentially 14 team draft but if you can take a couple 1st rounders and use them to move up in the draft, then that's not a bad thing.

Short term, it's Zach Higgins and a rookie in goal......I can't say I have alot of confidence in that.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

the goalies that are left represent a huge step towards finishing worse than Toronto.....if that is actually possible.

5. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

Or we start the season with Matt Vinc.....

BigDave and WingsNut423566 like this.
  6. gobandits11

gobandits11 Member

To me, this just adds fuel to the "Vinc to Buffalo" rumors...which would be insane

7. chuckster

I still don't see why Vinc would want to move on from Rochester for at least 1 more year. Unless he's had a falling out with Styres or he can't stand driving to Rochester for games anymore or he's always dreamed of playing for Buffalo (which I guess are all possible situations), Vinc has a better team in front of him in Rochester than he would have in Buffalo and would have his best shot at another title with the Hawks.

8. fandit

fandit Active Member

A few random thoughts........
    1. It Does make Vinc look possible. Just don't tell Hollywood42. He guaranteed Vinc to the Wolves.
    2. We do have Gowah Adams, who is playing for the USA Indoor team, as a back up. (what's my point? No point, just saying) :eek:
    3. Buque for a 1st shows how desperate the NLL goaltending situation is. It's just too good to pass up.
    4. The league might prefer Vinc moving now, instead of after PSE takes over in Rochester.
    5. Matt is a UFA right now. From his stand point, this is his best opportunity to control his fate.
    6. An extra 1st round pick is extra valuable in this age of expansion in the NLL.
    7. There could be another goalie the Bandits have a deal brewing for. Lots of whispers about Mitch Jones at the draft.

9. jetman

jetman Active Member

Vinc would look SO good in orange and black. Probably would just about guarantee us a playoff spot. Goaltending has been really weak the last couple of years.

10. Buffalo Fan

Buffalo Fan Member

Matt Vinc will most likely be the Buffalo Bandits starting goalie in 2018-19. Matt Vinc isn't going to Halifax most likely in 2019-20 if he resigns with Rochester now. Having played his college lacrosse at Canisius so it is better to sign with Buffalo to stay in WNY area. Because if he signs with Rochester now he has to go to Halifax with Curt Styres controlling his playing rights to trade anywhere in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo

11. chuckster

It's also possible that Styres won't sign Vinc to a 1 year deal and that's all Vinc wants because of the move to Halifax. I have no issue with Vinc being a Bandit but it doesn't make sense on the surface.

12. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I never even though if it like that
    Rochester is playing with fire if he goes to the bandits for nothing

Already losing their 5x champions franchise to Halifax but the all world goalie
    Stands will be empty this season

13. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

You would have to think that Buffalo is working on something for a number one goalie. I can’t imagine them going with Higgins as their full time starter unless they were forced to. He played well at times and would be even better with a better defense but I think them moving Buque means something else is in the works. At least I hope so!

14. This trade tells me several things about Dietrich, Tavares, and Kilgour:

1. They have zero faith in Buque, based on his poor performance last year.
    2. They have a lot of job security and are fairly confident they will be around through at least the 2022 season.
    3. They have a plan to bring in a high-profile NLL goalie (Vinc?) to compete with Higgins and Shanahan in training camp.

15. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Define “compete”
    If they bring in Vinc he’s their starting goalie

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

its buffalo they'll likely play him out the back door for a couple of seasons then out the front door and then he will play his true position.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 6:37 PM
    fandit and Echo like this.
  17. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR.