Bandits Trade Malcolm to Vancouver for Durston

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Rick716, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Feels like the Bandits overpaid with a player and a pick. They need defensive help and #12 would have been a place to do that. Don't F this up, Chugger!

3. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

The price for getting a lefty. They'll have to nail the pick #13 you would think.

4. chuckster

Still too high. They were getting a big lefty at #1 and Mitch Jones had a great summer out west, especially in the playoffs. Pat Saunders is a good lefty O player, too.

They needed solid defensive help and #12 and #13 were the spots for that. Instead they traded #12 away and took a righty O at #13. It boggles the mind....

5. fandit

fandit Active Member

I agree! Paid way too much. Then again, seems the Bandits almost always do.......

6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

That's funny... at the draft tonight I was talking to the father of a Maple Ridge player who said the Bandits would be very happy with Durston and he thought it wasn't a great deal for Vancouver.

7. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Malcolm is a 2.6 pts a game player Durston is 2.3 pts a game player the 12th pick is to big a premium for a lefty. Hell the next best lefty left on the board at 12 likely puts up 2.3 points a game bandits would have been better of just cutting Malcolm and keeping the pick at 12.

Can anyone find the draft results online so we can judge what Durston truly cost

8. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

9. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

With Johnny Pearson and Nick Finlay on the board at 12 Bandits who are in a ground up rebuild would have been better off not trading for Durston and they could have kept Malcom to compete for a spot a traded him for a 3 or 4th round pick.

10. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Durston is real good.

dougm likes this.
  11. chuckster

The only thing that would make sense to me is that Malcom is from BC and Durston is from ON so this could have been a swap based on where home is for the players. And I could see a straight up swap but to throw in #12 overall on top of it doesn't make sense unless there was a bidding war for Durston. Still, I would have rather held on to #12 and taken a D man.

12. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Yes travel maybe a factor. That will be always be concern with our BC players, barring a permanent relocation. They may see a higher sealing with Durston, who was 7th in MSL scoring this year. Playing time could also be a factor with Malcom. The team most likely has Smith, Crawford & Steenhuis ahead of him. Then you have England and sometimes Hill (who is still unsigned). If Fraser ends up being great, I'm ok with the deal.

I am wondering if were in a two year rebuild phase, where they go defense with the two first rounders next year.

13. fandit

fandit Active Member

If travel is a problem for Malcom and it may well be, then why not just trade him for a pick? Keep 12 and the pick you would get for him.

14. chuckster

Vancouver didn't have a high pick to give up. Their first pick before the trade would have been #29. And in 2018, we already have Vancouver's 1st rounder and Vancouver's first pick isn't until Round 3.

Given their stats, Malcom for Durston makes sense. This feels like another team was interested in Durston and was throwing in a 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal. Buffalo likely outbid that other team with #12.....maybe it was Toronto that was also in the discussion?

15. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I suppose it could've been, although I'm curious to know what the Rock would've been willing to give up. Durston would've been a welcome addition to the left side in my opinion, and would be a good young player for depth/further development after Leblanc and Jones, but with other youngsters like McArdle and Reinholdt I don't think the Rock absolutely would've needed to deal for him. Although I'm all aboard the Reid Reinholdt tire pumping bandwagon, I would've been okay with the Rock shipping him to Vancouver along with a pick for Durston.

16. fandit

fandit Active Member

It didn
    I't didn't have to be a pick this year. Picks in the next few drafts will have extra value due to expansion losses.

17. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

Durston 65 points this year.

Malcom 47 points this year.

After a full season so far, this seems like a good move for sure.

18. chuckster

The pick we shipped was #12 and Vancouver took Ryan Fournier with it.....who they cut and Buffalo signed early in the year.

19. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I really like Durston and hope he's here long-term. He should be protected in the expansion draft. I can see him being a fan-favorite for years to come.

20. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Locker is an idiot.

RockStar likes this.