Bandits trade Ryan Benesch to Colorado for Callum Crawford and Alex Buque

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Torbald2895, Aug 1, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Per the NLL website, BDS is a UFA. Although for what it's worth, the site also claimed Benesch was a UFA and apparently that wasn't entirely accurate....unless the Bandits had re-signed Benesch and then shipped him to Colorado.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

If Crawford is a righty, I think it makes Steenhuis expendable. This trade doesn't necessarily make BDS done in Buffalo but taking 2 D men in round 2 of this year's draft might do that.

3. AmericanRockFan

At this point in his career, however, who would be willing to deal for Steenhuis? And where would he really want to go? I don't think he'd fit in with the Rock nowadays, and would the Knighthawks be willing to deal for him? I'm not so sure...

4. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I'd think there's a fair bit of salary tied up in Steenhuis and BDS. If they're not here, does that open the door to spending more on an expensive free agent, perhaps.

5. chuckster

Buque leads the WLA this year in GAA at 7.29 and is 2nd in Save % at .848. Those stats are very promising.

6. chuckster

If the Bandits don't want him, it would have to be the Rock or the Hawks or he retires, IMO. He's not playing much this summer.

7. AmericanRockFan

That's why I'm thinking the conditional pick centers around how well Buque performs for the Bandits. Otherwise, having a conditional pick just doesn't make sense unless it centers on how well Benesch performs in Colorado.

8. fandit

fandit Active Member

Not really on board here......we get older and more right handed on offense. I will have to see what else goes on.
    If this is clearing room for Austin Staats, fine. If it's clearing bonus cap space, maybe.

9. chuckster

We get very slightly older and the right side is crowded now but Chugger had to address the goaltending and he may very well have done it with Buque. Benesch for Buque alone would be lopsided.

Stamp says there is still no confirmation that Staats is entering the draft but there will be Josh Byrne who would be a great addition on lefty O.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/breaking-news-another-huge-trade-as-crawford-and-benesch-switch-teams/50220

Staats or Byrne would fill the void left by Benesch and if Crawford is feeding them the ball, this could make the O much better.

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Crawford might be better, but, ~90 point per year lefties are a bit of a rarity.

i would guess one of this year's picks is a lefty gunner. Otherwise, that side of the offence might be a touch thin

11. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

"We got older". By 2 months....and at goalie, we got a ton younger. Like has been said, Buque for Benny wouldn't be enough, so we added Crawford who is more versatile and was 6th in the NLL in scoring last year. It's a good start.

12. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Man, people are never satisfied. They stand pat, people complain. They make trades, people complain. Make up your minds.

dougm likes this.
  13. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I like this trade. Benesch was great for us, but we had other needs and he was a desirable asset. Jones is starting to look like he can be a number 1 guy. 69 points last year and he's 3rd in WLA scoring this summer with 62 points. We also have a full season of Saunders.

I was wondering if he was going to be dealt, especially if they were eyeing a lefty with the #1 pick. Too crowded on the left.

This also makes Steenhuis expendable. Dhane, Crawford & Malcom is a solid group of rights. I think he has one year left on his deal. Also puts Hill in an interesting spot. If Mark stays I could see him getting dealt.

14. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

They'll pick Josh Byrne first overall in the draft, and I have no doubt he'll be a quality lefty scorer from the start. He's been killing it in the MLL and will likely be the MLL Rookie of the Year. He's close to breaking the league's rookie scoring record.

15. LordStanley1893

He's got 11 pts in 3 WLA games for Burnaby. They play tonight their last regular season game tonight then playoffs. I think the Bandits are good either way. Zach Currier would help on the backend too, but as others have said snag the two defensive guys with the 2nd rounders.

PS: I see Bold just got traded to NE.

16. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

So the offense for next year as of now is probably Dhane Smith, whoever we pick first overall (likely a lefty), Saunders, Crawford, and then Mitch Jones or Steenhuis? That sounds decent to me. Now it's about fixing the defense. Like the Wagner signing today. Need to make a couple more moves.

Do people think they should bring back BDS?

17. chuckster

There's also Malcom, England and Hill that are available for offense. They have depth which is a good thing.

If you draft 2 tough athletic D men in round 2, BDS becomes expendable. Make Priolo captain.

18. LordStanley1893

I forgot about England, the right side is really crowded. Someone will probably be dealt.

I'm fine with letting BDS go, saves some money and helps get playing time for a younger player.

19. AmericanRockFan

Also that one fan who threw his wife's Billy Dee Smith jersey out the window on the way home from a Bandits game won't have to buy his wife a new Billy Dee Smith jersey...

20. Komarem

Komarem Guest

Not me. I just started posting recently and have been banging the drum for Chugger to show some life as GM. This is exactly what I've been calling for and I couldn't be anymore pleased.