Bandits trade Ryan Benesch to Colorado for Callum Crawford and Alex Buque

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Torbald2895, Aug 1, 2017.

1. fandit

fandit Active Member

But it "appears" Buque is not going to keep them from giving up 20 in 2 (maybe 3 or more) games, either.......Oh, wait.....he already didn't.
    IF THE RUMORS ARE TRUE:
    The GM should side with the Coach, but the aforementioned 20 a game is going to get both fired at seasons end.

The goaltending problem isn't fixed yet. Maybe Buque will get it together. Maybe Higgins or a healthy Fish will fix it. But it sure isn't looking good right now.

2. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

I have watched Buque from his last season in Junior when he won a Minto and each of his seasons in the WLA. He is a competitor and generally a very consistent hard to beat goaltender in the CLA size nets. He has amazing athletic agility for his body size and weight. His goalie fundamentals are solid. The question mark is his side to side speed in the larger NLL net and his height. When he doesn't have to move his feet and can see the ball he can be a shut down tender. With the way the offensive talent in the NLL can hit the seams in the net, a large (aka heavy) goalie that is not slightly taller will give up goals that someone like Rose or Scigliano will make because of their height. It may be that the Bandit defence can adjust to Buque's style but we will have to wait and see. I would have to give him at least 8 starts this season to see if the team can settle in around him. Fish has the size to be a great goaltender but not nearly the same athleticism of Buque...so I have to give the edge to Buque. Higgins should have a shot at a regular roster spot somewhere next year once the expansion dust settles. At the end of the day, I do not think the troubles in Banditland are goalie issues.

3. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I'd say it's too soon to draw a final conclusion on Buque. He's had 2 rough starts in a row, obviously. The difficulty with judging goalies in the NLL is determining how much is on the goalie vs. the defense. They gave up a ton last year with Cosmo, DiRuscio, and now Buque and Higgins. That's 4 different goalies. Some of this has to be on the defense. Whether it's a personnel issue or system issue on defense is the question. They picked defenseman Ethan Schott with the 20th pick but he has yet to play. They brought in Wagner, but now he's on short term IR.

The poster above makes a good point about Buque's size relative to the larger NLL nets. Maybe Higgins is the answer? Who knows? I'm really rooting for Fish too, because he seems like an interesting character here. They also have Abrams on the practice squad, but I can't see them making him the starter when he hasn't even been a backup. It seems like it's going to be trial and error with the goalies until someone establishes themselves. If healthy, I'd give Fish a start or two and see how that goes.

Buque--too soon to tell
    Diruscio--need to see more/size is an asset
    Higgins--is he just here until Fish is back? Or does he get a start Saturday if Fish is not.
    Abrams--?

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

3 games into the season, this trade comes down to would you rather have Ryan Benesch or Callum Crawford on the Bandits?

I know that Benesch is leading the NLL in points right now, but there's no guarantee he's doing that if he's still in Buffalo. As a non-Bandit fan who has seen the Rock play the Bandits twice thus far, I like what I've seen from Crawford this season with the Bandits. He's fun to watch.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Crawford is a stud. So is Benesch.

The benefit that Benesch brings is that he is one of the most valuable assets - top 5 lefty attack.

6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

True. And they need to give Byrne touches which he may not have seen much with Benesch on the left side with him.

Last year with Benesch, the Bandits were 1-2 after 3. And as I said, if the rumors are true that he was part of the revolt in the locker room against the coach, the GM decided to stick with the coach so the players had to go. There was no other way around that.

7. RockStar

Byrne could end up being a top lefty, so, that takes away some of the sting.

Know what would be awesome though? Two top lefties!

Imagine what a guy like Byrne might do if he never had the top righty defenceman checking him.....and, if he had a guy like Benesch to pass to, to pick for......

Still, it does come down to the irreconcilable differences, and, for a GM who hired one of his contemporaries to coach, it probably feels more right to keep that guy and change out the costly veterans that didn't find a way to get you there anyway.

Seeing a couple of games this young season, and, seeing where the goals came from, I think the biggest hole might be lefty D.

8. AmericanRockFan

If the Bandits still had Benesch though, as well as Byrne, I feel like we would be here saying that it'd be awesome to have a top notch lefty and a top notch righty, not just two top notch lefties.

Then again, maybe we'd say that it'd be awesome to have two top notch lefties AND a top notch righty! :cool:

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

95E0E824-6CBB-4644-B6BB-D436E02E8B61.jpeg
    Clearly on the decline in buffalo or some ****

10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

you can NEVER have enough top lefties

RockStar likes this.
  11. chuckster

Again, you guys are missing the point. :confused:

If the rumors are true and that Benesch was one of the guys (along with BDS and Brock) leading the revolt to get Troy fired, and the GM sided with the coach, BENESCH HAD TO GO. It wouldn't matter how many goals he was scoring, he HAD TO GO. There would have been chaos in the locker room if he stayed.

So post all the stats you want about how good of a season Benesch is having but Chugger sided with Troy and he had to get rid of Benesch, BDS and Brock to allow his coach to have some control in the room. And don't forget that Benesch was a Bandit last year and the team finished last because the defense and the goaltending sucked.

12. chuckster

I like the left side of the O with Byrne, Jones, Durston and Saunders. There's youth, some experience, some grit. They have good balance on O with Dhane and Crawford on the right side which can be supplemented by England and Steenhuis if needed.

The D is still a work in progress. And obviously, the goaltending too. But I have no issues with the design of the O.

13. AmericanRockFan

Personally, I agree with you. I feel like that Benesch/Crawford is sort of a wash, so if you were able to deal a (reported) locker room issue for someone like Crawford (who seems like a fun guy) and a goalie work in progress, I think it's a good deal.

The offense isn't the issue in Buffalo in my opinion, it's on the defense.

14. RockStar

Yeah, I noticed. Was just pondering the "what if?" scenarios if they were to have sacked Cordingley instead of two standouts and a decent role player.

15. JTavares4E

JTavares4E Active Member

I must have missed this rumor? What would the reason be for this?

16. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

A lot of people are undervaluing Mitch Jones, who is developing into a top tier lefty. He had 69 pts last year. With 13 points in 3 games he is on pace to eclipse that total. Only Benesch, Adam Jones and Matthews have more points this season among lefties.