Baseball triva

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by swami24, Aug 9, 2015.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I recently came across a few interesting question, and they are all tied together by a commonality.

1) Who gave up the HR that put Barry Bonds past Hank Aaron on the HR list?
    2) Who was the first player to hit a HR to get his 3000th hit
    3) Cy Young is tops in MLB wins, who is second, and who did he beat for his first win.
    4) What's the all time record attendance for a Minor league baseball game? Within 1000.

What's the commonality?

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Just a request for clarification on #3: For "who did he beat for his first win", are you asking Cy Young or the second most MLB wins guy?

3. swami24

Who did the second most winner beat for the first win. It's a dated clue which is a dated hint.

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

1. Geez, I swore to myself that I would never forget this and now I have. *sigh* I looked it up: Mike Bacsik of the Washington Nationals. Hard to believe that it was on 07 AUG 2007 AND that the Nationals have been around that long.

2. I remember Jeter on 09 July 2011 get his 3000th hit as a HR because I was stuck in traffic on the lower deck of the George Washington Bridge crossing into Manhattan from NJ when it happened at Yankee Stadium. A-Rod just did the same thing less than a month ago. But I believe it was Wade Boggs who did it first when he was with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. That was on 07 AUG 1999.

3. Washington Senators Walter Johnson is #2 in career wins. I believe he defeated Ty Cobb's Detroit Tigers for that first win. That was on 07 AUG 1907; 100 years to the day before Bogg's 3000th hit.

4. About 12,000?

I'm not sure of the commonality. The first 3 took place on 07 AUG, but I don't know the game with the largest minor league attendance.

5. swami24

You are good on three. You will have to turn back the paiges of time to find the famous name in that game. It was certainly during happy days.

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Oh, very good clue with Satchel Paige! (and Happy Days reference too although I didn't need that...)

07 AUG 1956: 57713 watch Paige pitch for the Miami Marlins against the Columbus Jets in an International League game at the Orange Bowl.

EDIT: Interesting in a way - almost like an all-Philadelphia farm team game. The Miami Marlins were the Philadelphia (NL) Phillies farm team in the IL but the Columbus Jets were the IL farm team for the Kansas City Athletics who were formerly the Philadelphia (AL) Athletics.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  7. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

1. Another fun fact about the short career of Mike Bacsik: He made his major league debut on August 5th, 2001, during the largest comeback in MLB history. After Indians starter Dave Burba had clowned his way to 7 earned runs in 2 innings, Bacsik was brought in for long relief. He quickly gave up 5 runs of his own (making it 12-0 in the 3rd) before settling down and pitching 6 full innings out of the bullpen. The Indians were still down 14-2 into the 7th before getting 3 that inning, 4 in the 8th, and 5 in the 9th, before winning it in the 11th. The dude has a good bit of history to his name for only appearing in 51 games over 7 years... over half of which were in his final season in 2007.

8. swami24

Correct on the answers. 57k for mlnor league game made the question worth asking.

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Wow. Ironically, I don't remember that game at all because I just got married the day before in Iowa, so I was likely busy travelling that Sunday flying back to Albany from Cedar Rapids IA. That was the date of the last good walleye that I had eaten - in a German restaurant in Amana Colonies in Amana IL (where the appliance company was) not far from Cedar Rapids.

10. Wings-4-Life

I also remember that date well. The game was actually ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball that night. I was in OC, MD on vacation (I've never been back, and don't plan on it). I was starved for baseball since I'm rarely away from my MLB Extra Innings. So I settled in to watch the game, and stuck with it until the end because it was that or nothing. Obviously glad I did. :D

11. swami24

I ignored it since he is and was a cheater. My favorite comeback was when the Pirates scored 9 or 10 in the first inning in Philly. The Pirates announcer said he's walk home if they lost the game. The Phils won 11-10. the next year, the announcer did a charity walk from Philly to Pittsburgh. I watched the first inning, but left the TV on as I went about my stuff. I thought, this is the kind of game where something odd may actually happen..it did

12. Wings-4-Life

That was Jim Rooker, former Pirates pitcher. Pirates took a 10-0 lead in the first, and the Phillies slowly chipped away all game before scoring 5 in the 8th to win 15-11. Fun fact: your man Barry Bonds batted leadoff for the Pirates that game, and hit a 3 run homer in the first inning (obviously his second at bat of the inning). Fun fact #2: Jim Rooker's walk started on October 5th of that year (1989), and he left from the Vet. It ended on October 17th, the same date as the infamous earthquake that rocked San Francisco during the World Series.

13. swami24

Only one Phillies player hit for the cycle at the Vet.. try to guess before searching.

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

just thinking.von hayes?

15. swami24

Nice guess, but more recent.

16. swami24

Post strike, Pre - Big Piece

17. Wings-4-Life

Gregg Jeffries! That was one of my first years as a Phillies fan, as I was 8 at the time. I grew up on those 90's teams.

18. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

You suck the meat cigar

19. swami24

Hitting for the cycle may not be the best part of that day for him.. He became a father the same day!

20. Wings-4-Life

Ooooo I didn't know that.