Billings

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

What is going on with Billings? Last I had heard he said he was hoping for Feb 13th(which obvi has passed) And even when he announced that, the timeline of his recovery seemed odd to me, as I have tore my knee in past and was back to full strength 7months later and he's bordering on a full year. Just wondering if something came up or got worse(heaven forbid) like with what happened to Grant Jr years ago. Any news is welcomed news.

2. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I saw this on twitter yesterday:

"Client @gbillings13 has been cleared to play. Bring on the highlight reel. #NLL"

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Time for the obvious question, who gets benched/cut in favor of Billings now? To be completely honest, a small part of me doesn't care to see him inserted into the lineup immediately because of the chemistry the offense has right now. As RockStarr would say, there's only one ball to go around. The three righties up front are Beirnes, Hellyer, and Hickey. I suppose of the 3, Hickey is the one who sits.

Or do you sit a defenseman to make room for another forward? The Rock have seemed to go with 6 forwards, 3 transition, and 7 defensemen this year, so perhaps they swap out a defenseman?

Anyhow, I'm glad it's not my decision to make, and on paper this looks like a good problem to have, finding a way to add a guy who was on pace for 120 points last season before he got hurt. I just really hope Billings coming back doesn't hurt the team's chemistry though.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

What's Hickey got, 16 goals in a little over 1/3 of a season?? his minutes have to be cut to help make room for Billings, but, no way he should be scratched!

I think you have to scratch a righty defenceman, dress four righty attackers, and ease Billings back into this.

5. Rock'EmSock'Em

Rock'EmSock'Em New Member

Really hard to sit the guy with the most goals on the team but on the other hand if Billings is available how do you not use him? Hickey has been great this year and I'm not saying he's been more valuable than Hellyer or Biernes but he's been a big bodied right hander that's putting the ball in the net. Going to be a tough decision if they only want to run with six forwards. I've liked seeing Ross and Hickey doing some dirty work on O. It's given the offense a whole new look.

6. AmericanRockFan

First off, I love your username.

For defensemen, I'd scratch Patrick Merrill because of his bad penalties and his 37.5% face-off win percentage. Plus there's no way you can take out one of: B. Merrill, Sorensen, Edwards, Gamble, Chapman, Marshall, or Gilbert. Or you can scratch Hostrawser if the team doesn't necessarily need that physical presence on a particular night.

But also keep in mind that Billings isn't on the active roster, so I'm pretty sure someone needs to get cut in general to make room for him, or moved to the practice squad. So does that mean that a guy like Bill Greer gets moved to the practice squad right after getting signed?

7. RockStar

Don't forget Beirnes.

It's damn nice when one of your 'plumbers' is able to stuff 18! frigging balls into the other guy's net!, and your other two combine for 23 whatever more!

So, I ran a simple query on goals leaders.

Hickey is not just a Rock leader, he's a frigging contender for league leader!!!!

And, just for fun, compare his shooting percentage to that of the other guys in the top 3.

(and, then, notice that the two Rock righty wingmates are also top 8 at the 1/3 post of this young season!)

Sorry, but, only an idiot scratches any of them.

Billings certainly gets worked in, because, he was arguably 'best in class' until the injury, but, in my mind he has to earn 'superstar' minutes/touches again.

Not a bad problem to have, eh?

So, I think you scratch the last righty defenseman on your depth chart.

8. RockStar

(and, I think you lobby for a return to 18-man rosters again! :D)

9. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

#1 lets not forget it did say he's unsigned. I"m thinking this is more of an issue then him being cleared to play. As I stated in beginning the injury recovery time seemed about 2 months off to me and wondering if contract was the bigger issue. #2 you EASILY scratch Bryan or P.Merrill, without a doubt. Cant scratch any of the O guys, they've all earned it this year and I highly doubt you'd want to sit an O guy off the hop anyway until Billings gets up to speed/game shape

10. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

This is a great problem for Toronto to have because at the beginning of the season I don't many if anyone expected there offence to be as good as it has been. If I am Toronto though you cant keep Billings out and I think they have go with 7 offence guys for a while and they can ease him back into playing as he is just way too good of a player to not have in the lineup as well he is someone that distributes the ball he isn't a Ratcliff player that just going to shoot.

Also he is coming back pretty much on time as for most ACL injuries it takes an year for the majority of athletes to heel. As Adrian Peterson came back from his in the NFL in under 10 months and thats one of the quickest ever in pro sports.

11. BanditsSuckRock

BanditsSuckRock New Member

billings for billy all this kid does is bring penalty minutes to this team he cant even scrap when it comes down to it !

12. RockStar

Hickey with four more tonight....talk about finding a fit!

13. relaxman

relaxman New Member

sign him and get him on the practice squad. Let him work at 3/4 speed before seeing who sits. There is no way he is ready to compete for any spot yet.

14. AmericanRockFan

Well, Jamie Dawick just said "I find it hard to believe you'll see Garrett again in a Toronto Rock uniform."

Well then, I guess Billings is headed on the way out...

15. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

inlaxwetrust insinuating that dawick and garrett are far apart...
    he lives in langley but edm, cal and col would do as well.
    dawick could score huge in trade imho..hellyer is the real deal.

16. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

In fairness, it was Neil Stevens from Lacrosse Magazine, and he didn't insinuate anything - he stated it flat out. InLax just reported on the story.

17. AmericanRockFan

Could Dawick score huge in a trade? Sure, I suppose he could. But the fact is that he potentially has an unhappy superstar on his hands who he can't reach a deal with AND a superstar who is recovering from a serious knee injury. So could he score in a trade? Yes. Will he? The jury is out, because Billings value could arguably be the lowest it has been since before his debut season in 2010.

18. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

Sanderson and Doyle are getting up there in age. Who knows how long either of them will continue to play for. Trading Garret would be a massive mistake that the Rock would regret for a decade (as long as he can still perform).

19. SouthPawly

SouthPawly Member

True that Doyle and Josh are getting older however they are both lefties. Billings is a righty, Hellyer and Hickey have shown well without him, Beirnes is older but at this point Billings looks expendable to me.

20. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

the athan comparison is extremely compelling..not sure what garrett is asking for but it sounds like the ancillary $$ are a lot more than Jamie is willing to part with.