Black Wolves sign Nick Mariano to two-year contract?

Discussion in 'New England Black Wolves Forum' started by TofuBomb, Aug 26, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I don't think he's played any pro or semi-pro box lacrosse.

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Training camp body

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Relative of an owner?

5. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Plays with the Florida Launch of MLL and led Syracuse University in scoring in 2017. Semifinalist for the Tewaaraton. Obviously a skilled field lacrosse player but no box experience. With expansion, a bunch of teams (particularly American teams) will likely do this - costs them little and if they get a halfway decent box player out of it, great, but if they pull another Tom Schreiber out of nowhere, even better.

6. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Was Schreiber undrafted?

dougm likes this.
  7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i believe so

8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i thought nick was in camp last winter. at least he is not giving up on the dream.

9. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

The press release said Mariano was drafted by the Black Wolves last year. I guess he just didn't make the cut?

10. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

Nick was in camp last winter and didn't make the cut. I got to watch a little of him while he was at Umass prior to his time at Cuse and he seemed like a good player. I'm looking forward to see if he can crack the roster this year. Also to note, the drafted player is typically a restricted free agent for a certain period of time.

11. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Forgive my ignorance. But if they just signed him to a two year contract, I assume that means he's cracking the roster, right?

12. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

Not necessarily but hopefully. Always good to see some younger talent on the team to learn from the veterans on the team.

13. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Are the contracts not guaranteed? Why would they sign him to a contract but not add him to the roster?

14. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I am nearly certain that NLL contracts are not guaranteed......but there seem to be some weird rules around getting out of one if a player doesn't report.

15. unspoken

unspoken Member

They can't be guaranteed unless it's specifically written into the contract like a no-movement clause in the NHL. Otherwise the Seals would be on the hook for all 700 of the contracts they've signed with field guys with no box experience.

dougm likes this.
  16. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Probably so he’s insured by the team if he blows a knee in camp

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

need a contract to step on the floor in camp....I am guessing that if there is doubt that the guy is going to make the team that they use a model tryout only contract that expires after camp and before the roster freeze so, they can offer a real one at that time.

18. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Yeah contracts are not guaranteed, but as others have said. You can't participate in camp without one.