Blazers were ready to buy NHL's Phoenix Coyotes, move them to Portland

Discussion in 'Portland LumberJax Forum' started by Vin, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I'm not all that surprised and this could be interesting in that it shows Paul Allen not being oblivious to needing more dates.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2013/07/blazers_were_ready_to_buy_nhls_phoenix_coyotes_mov.html

Maybe the Islanders will go to Portland eventually....
    (Just checking to see if Roy will read this thread.) ;)

2. looseBALLS

looseBALLS New Member

What the hell does that have to do with the Lumberjax lacrosse club?
    I'm sure you'll come up with something out of far left field. So what if there is an ownership relate.
    You'll post just about anything just to see your name and words on this MB.

3. Pounder

Pounder Member

I think the theory is "if Allen is trolling for hockey, he'll have to settle for NLL."

No he won't.

If Allen really wants NHL, he can get it.

Here's the trick: I'm not sure he really wants it, but with Merritt Paulson lurking behind the scenes with some of the Blazers' sponsors, Allen has to show that the operation will NOT be business as usual. At the least, he has to be seen as trying for NHL in order to keep sponsors interest. If the Blazers don't turn around a little quicker, the sponsors might turn on Allen, demand a sale of the franchise, or withdraw their money. There's an offer among some of them to buy the team with Paulson as the front man.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Do you need to get laid or something? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the Lumberjax but there's no reason why it can't be discussed on this message board.

5. looseBALLS

looseBALLS New Member

Sure. There is this section called "Off Topic".
    I don't go through the Lacrosse forums to read crap about the NHL.

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

In fairness, Looseballs has a point... and yes this is relevant to the Lumberjax forum - sort of.

This news did need to be posted because we here at this message board have a vested interest in this news. I had a choice of where to put the post and I must admit I wasn't sure where to put it and was thinking of Off-Topic like Looseballs suggested, so maybe it should go there.

I was seriously thinking of putting this in NLL News and Rumors and could justifiably have done so. Paul Allen is interested in filling up dates at the Rose Garden. It seems that he was interested in picking up an NHL team to do that, but he didn't want to expand to Portland, but wanted to get a team that is looking to relocate. What the news illustrates is that Paul Allen has a need that we (the NLL) could help fill. Furthermore, if Paul Allen was interested in getting an NHL team pretty much just to fill dates, the idea of picking up an NLL team as well gives him 9 more dates at minimum. He wouldn't be the only billionaire owner in the NLL either who owns a hockey team and a lacrosse team and such synergy seems to work for Colorado and Buffalo. The bottom line is that Paul is looking. This could impact the NLL. That would justify putting it in NLL News and Rumors.

At the same time, I did think about putting this in Off-Topic, but there is NLL relevance to the story, so I decided against it. The alternative is to split-the-difference, so to speak. This news, NLL or not, is still relevant to any Portland area fans who remain. I wouldn't put the thread in the Plaid Platoon Fan Club Forum because that is for club-related postings which this definitely isn't. So, I went with the Lumberjax Forum and there's nothing really wrong with that because, if Allen was to get an NHL team and consider joining the NLL, maybe there would be a new Lumberjax team just like there was a new Philadelphia Wings and a new Boston Blazers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
  7. looseBALLS

looseBALLS New Member

How about NOT.

I knew you'd find some trivial relate to justify your poor choice of topic. Which as usual, you insert after the fact.
    If you are going to make this a lax matter, why don't you try qualifying that at the start.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Does it seriously matter? If you don't like it, don't read it.

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

i for one thank VIN for posting that , while it might of been a stretch one could imagine with such a scenario that the NLL could of possibly returned to Portland . If you recall they went dark due to lack of major sponsorships being a privately owned team . They had decent crowd numbers by todays standards if we are letting teams play in arenas that seat 5200 the Lumberjax regularly put over 6500 in the building . Maybe the presence of an NHL team with a little more financial security backed by an NBA team also the NLL could possibly work in the area

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

That's a fair comment and you're absolutely right. I should have prefaced it at the start.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  11. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

you dont have to give them any reason vin lol
    you posted something in a forum of a team that folded what 4 years ago? its lacrosse related enough even if only through speculation

12. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Gosh Vin, I can't believe you bumped down all the other Portland Lumberjax threads that are going on right now! :rolleyes: