Blockbuster Trade

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Meathead25, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Not sure who was thinking what, but I think Johnny Mouradian got the better of the deal, getting Steve Toll, Daryl Gibson, Anthony Cosmo and the 3rd and 13th 2004 draft picks from the Toronto Rock for Josh and Phillip Sanderson and Rusty Kruger...when the Rock hit the floor in December, we'll see if the trade was a good one.

Ladies and gentlemen, you wanted the best, you got the best!
    Please welcome your TORONTO EXCELSIORS!

I'm thinking a new jersey is in the works. :D

2. Baggy B

Baggy B New Member

Queston

ARe the Excelsiors the Rock's farm team, or is it the other way around?

3. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

:rotfl:
    Good one, Baggy! :D

4. BARKS DAWG

BARKS DAWG Active Member

it's going to make it even more interesting out here in the west

5. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

I'll say! If you can get in in San Jose, you'll really rack up them frequent flyer points! :D

6. laxdaddio

laxdaddio New Member

The Rock just lost my support! Sanderson has a pretty good record as a coach, but, as this trade proves, he is in way over his head as a GM. The fact that he traded these guys to get his son makes it smell even more in my books!

7. RockFinn

RockFinn New Member

Screw TS

While my support for the Rock will not waiver as in I'm keeping my seats, my utter distain for TS has increased 10 fold.

The guy just got fleeced by Mouridian. I can't help but laugh knowing the Les...A, must have been whispering in Johnny's ear and B, is enjoying seeing TS get his arse handed to him.

RockFinn...if this keeps up, will asked to be traded too....:)

8. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

[​IMG]
    Kinda like that?

9. RockFinn

RockFinn New Member

atta boy

Nice one Meathead, now if you could overlay Mouridian's and TS faces. I think the sheep and TS are relatively the same body type....

10. Rockman

Rockman Active Member

Toronto Excelsiors

Yes indeed TS has taken what was a championship team and wrecked it. They have one bad year and he brings in his trusted Orangeville team. Who is next? Trade the captain? Hope Jimmy can set this guy straight.

11. nemder

nemder New Member

Hummmm?

Why do I see a Toll and Gibson flop to Buffalo in the near future????

What about Blazer and Miller in SJ? I guess this means they're protecting 2 goalies in the expansion draft. Who's gonna back up with the Rock? With Whipper getting older I think this was an absolutely terrible trade for Toronto.

12. laxchick

laxchick New Member

A Championship team? You all have to seem to forgotten that when T came in your Rock were sitting at the bottom of the division with a long climb out and no relief in sight. At the rate that team was moving TO wouldn't even have seen the playoffs. So what it seems that you all are saying that as long as the team was losing under Les then you all would keep going to games?

Face facts people, The Rock is a business that needed to be ran. Life had to go on without Les. The team was losing and they brought someone in to fix that. Terry has every right to make that team his and if you all are really that angry cancel your season tix and don't go to games.

Maybe Veltman and Coyle are next in line out the door. They aren't immortal and they are aging. I've never seen fans so resistant to change. Just b/c the owners did not ask your personal opinions for every decision they've made, you all seem to be awfully bitter. Why don't you wait for the team to blow before you start the whining?

13. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

nemder> AP clarified in another post that it's a "player to be named later" so the rumours about Coz heading to San Jose may not come to fruition...Personally, I think the ROck got hosed even more, beacuse when it comes to the expansion draft, they'll have to protect Cosmo and Watson, giving them one less runner to protect, whereas San Jose can leave either Miller or Blaisdell (more than likely Miller) unprotected and know taht they've got Cosmo in the bank if the Rock protect him...the short end of the stick again! That is, unless the Rock are willing to let Watson or Cosmo go in the belief that McLellan will mature into a top flight goalie (I think he can, but for the Rock, the jury's still out...) in a hurry...

Finn> I was gonna try to photoshop Mouradian and Sanderson's heads in, but I don't have the l337 sk1llzzz to do it...anyone? Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
  14. AP

AP New Member

Good points

Good points, but I think there's a bigger issue here. Rock fans have had the same core since day 1 to cheer for, and that core is quite quickly making its way around the league. A lot of those trades (Stroup, Gill, Toth) happened before, but mainly for reunification purposes, and it didn't matter as much while the team was winning. Now, fan favorites are gone, and the motives can be rightfully questioned.

As well, the semifinal collapse notwithstanding, the Rock were arguably the best team in the NLL over the second half.
    So now, fans are going into a new season with a lot of new faces, fan favorites gone, and an uneasiness around how this team is being transformed.

The D is worse today, the goalie of the future is gone, there's no draft help in sight, last year's picks have been cut or traded, and for the first time, Rock fans are being asked to cheer more for the jersey than the players.

I think it's completely appropriate for Rock fans to wonder how this affects not just the team, but their interest in it.

15. AP

AP New Member

wrong, Meat

Cosmo is going to SJ. There's no gray area there.

It's a tactic to make sure SJ can protect both of their goalies and also get Coz, since he has apparently told them he can't commit to full-time out there this year.

But as for "not coming to fruition", that won't happen.

It's a player to be named later, not a player to be decided later.

16. toros_00

toros_00 Moderator

Goodbye Toronto Rock.

Hello SJ Stealth!

Why would Toronto do that, they already have Doyle and Manning now Sanderson.

But no Toll. And that will hurt big time. Toll and Veltman were like tag-team.

And now no Anthony Cosmo. Watson is junk and his career is done, Cosmo was the Rock answer.

So now we have the Buffalo Athletics and Toronto Excelsiors.

IronMan

LETS GO BANDITS!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

17. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

I never forgot the fact that we were losing. The Philly fans wouldn't let me! :D Point is, under Les, they DIDN'T lose.
    Already done. My season tickets are out like last years fashions.

I realise that professional sports is a business, but as a season ticket holder and as someone who has been loyally attending games for the past 6 seasons, I have a vested emotional interest in the team. When I see things being done to the team that I have grown to know and love, protectionist reaction or not, I will voice my opinion, be it heard or not. Especially when those changes DON'T make sense to me as your average fan. And as everyone knows, I know nothing about the game or the politics behind it, so my opinion counts for nothing in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still going to voice it, dammit!

Yes, Les is great coach, and Terry is as well, but Terry is NOT (at least from what I've seen so far) as good a GM as Les, nor will he ever be. I'm sure that Terry and the boys will do everything possible to make me eat my words, but until I'm proven wrong in my opinion, my opinion ain't changin'! Dammit!
    I would rather the team not blow before I start whining. That way I don't end up sounding like a Philly fan. :D If the team knows that the fans aren't behind them, it will make them think "What do we have to do to fix this?" before it's broken, and that's always better.

For example: Is is better to do preventative maintenance on your air conditioner during the summer or wait until it breaks down and then suffer for two weeks in 100 degree weather before the repairman arrives? Yeah, I thought so. Unless you're a Philly fan, in which case you wait until it breaks and then **** and moan about it...

18. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Re: wrong, Meat

Ah well, hope springs eternal...

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson when he gets sucked into the third dimension:

Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!
    Crap!

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Hey Zeus H. Christ!

Wow!

If Cosmo goes to SJ, SJ got better of deal. If not, I suspect Toronto did better.

I'll miss Rusty, but I won't really miss Josh - I think SJ is better without him. Great for Steve Toll to be with SJ.

In an ironic twist of fate! Daryl Gibson used to be with Albany. Albany trades him to Toronto before 2001-2002 season. Toronto defeats Albany at Albany 13-12 in 2002 Champion's Cup with the game winning goal scored by .... Daryl Gibson. And now he returns!

20. AP

AP New Member

not quite

Albany cut him, I believe. He ended up with NJ. NJ traded him to T.O. for Roik.

But beating Albany was his career highlight.