Blockbuster Trade

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Meathead25, Jul 27, 2004.

1. newlaxfan2

newlaxfan2 New Member

I fully expect that Coz will be traded in the very near future to a team in the east. Management in SJ HAD to know of his work commitments -- it's something he's been working towards in the last few years.

2. BARKS DAWG

BARKS DAWG Active Member

mac you can make your mark with a major trade

chugger to san jose for cosmo

3. gobandits86

gobandits86 New Member

hopefully chugger will go san jose for cosmo, dietrich is getting old and gets injured to much.

4. AP

AP New Member

misread

laxchick-

I didn't say he'd ever play a game for SJ. I said he was definitely the player to be named later.

5. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Backup (2nd) goalie.

6. torrrock

torrrock New Member

That would make this last trade look good (no offence to Chugger)

Torrrock, da hoping SJ adopts "Speedin Stevie Toll!" :)

7. SjstealthJunkie

SjstealthJunkie New Member

Some of this speculation kills me...

...considering that there were a lot people on this board last year telling me that Mike Regan wouldn't be playing in San Jose because of work committments. He didn't miss a game. I understand that Anthony Cosmo's situation may be a little different but then again, maybe not. All I can hope for is the opportunity to see the gentlemen we've traded for suit up in the Black and Red uniforms of my beloved San Jose Stealth.

Another thing. If San Jose were to trade to either Buffalo, Rochester, Philly, or even Toronto again, what would they get? What would those teams be willing to give up that would make it worth our while? A great older goalie? I don't see that happening in any sort of realistic manner, at least not in the foreseeable future.

The Stealth are a pretty deep and talented team plus we've got some good draft picks in the upcoming draft. Honestly, we're going to lose some really good players when the expansion draft hits. We may not be making any more moves until after that happens, no matter who becomes available. The simple truth is that I feel that we must become stronger and bigger on the offensive side if we're going to compete for the Western Division crown.

It will be interesting to see if any other Western teams make a serious roster move as an answer to this trade. My guess would be nothing until the new CBA is announced along with the new expansion team(s).

8. shawnwilliams#1

shawnwilliams#1 New Member

All i can say is holy crap!!! Dietrich gets hurt too often...he gets run too often...But another quote i must presume is "buh bye rock" hello hawk:D Something i never thaught would happen is this!Stevie toll is great to watch, And he is a great treasure of t.o's ...now they blew it right out their *** so what can ya say?:confused:

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Well then, considering Watson played another 7 years and (surprisingly to me) won the Goaltender of the Year award in 2008. Sadly, during my tenure as more of a diehard Rock fan (2003 to now), I kinda always felt like I was watching a past his prime Whip. Not that he was crap by any stretch of the imagination, just that he just wasn't quite as good as he had been, even if he was still playing at 90% capacity in my mind.

10. AmericanRockFan

Explain yourself :)

11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

FWIW, the third overall draft pick was Ryan Boyle, a totally legit player, but, one that would have maybe never reported to Toronto.

13 was Eric Martin, same thing.

No one else drafted before the Rock's first pick at 16 ended up being a superstar. Just some quality NLLers, but, nothing standout. Weak-ish overall draft class TBH.

Interesting footnotes in this draft class - Gary Roberts, Matt Moulson. Roberts was a novelty pick by Calgary in the last round. Moulson was actually a legit Jr. A lacrosse player, but, had a legit shot at making the NHL, so his draft stock slid to fourth round.

They totally only need 3 draft rounds in a small league like this.

12. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

5 years ago today the Wings traded both Dawson’s to Rochester

13. RockStar

Nice history lesson to be had here
    - Mr. Boo and myself got this far more correct than many of the others.......and if you thought they were angry on this thread, you should have heard them chirping the Rock bench in Rochester en-route to a heartbreaking OT loss on the second night of a home and home after they had been shelled 15-6 the night before in Toronto.

- Watson was not done and was not junk.......his career was only like half over at this point, and, six more playoff berths/two more rings to show for 7 years of service....

- Cosmo became a bit of a suitcase before coming back "home" to finish a decent career with Buffalo. Never won it, and, never played a better year than Watson through 2011 though IMHO

- Toll ended up back East fairly quickly. It hurt to see him play in Rochester after he had helped steal three cups for Toronto against them.....Hell, he and Veltman also deserved a share of Whip's MVP award for 2003 after they killed all of those bullshit penalties early in the game and made a few shorthand goals happen to let the Rock start with a 5-1 lead.

- And, most importantly, Meathead is still attending games today, and, most/all of the naysayers turned up for the 2005 Champions Cup post game party. :D

14. AmericanRockFan

What I remember vividly about that OT loss in 2005 in Rochester the night after the 15-6 shellacking was the following:
    •Brad Watters saying on Fan590 that day he was sure the Rock would win in Rochester that night, a bold prediction since we all know how that didn't happen for 6 more years....
    •I had great seats next to the Rock bench but had to move cause some prick legit threatened me and started throwing French fries at me, and security did nothing when my dad complained to an usher. That same twat also got into it by the tunnel with Aaron Wilson who absolutely owned him!
    •Nick Trudeau, in his season debut after missing all of 2004, netted a hat trick including tying the game with under a minute left.
    •The Rock losing in OT in under a minute, to which my dad (more or else exclaimed to me) "the Rock defense sucked there, what the ****?!"

Ah, I wish I'd known all you Roadies folk before 2012. To be honest, I wasn't even that mad after that game cause I expected a loss. Being 2-2 sucked but I was more mad about losing to Buffalo to drop to 4-3 a few weeks later. But after that, the Rock nearly ran the table other than having their asses handed to them 20-12 in Calgary late in the year.

15. AmericanRockFan

Also, I can't believe how many people felt Bartley was cheering against the Rock before his death. I used to see him in Buffalo before his death and he was still very much a Rock fan.

16. RockStar

The Bartley thing was a sensitive issue.

They tried to move forward with his two assistants at the reins. They had a disappointing 2-4 start, and management decided that they'd better do something about that. (Curiously, somehow when they fired the next guy, his replacement got two consecutive losing seasons and the start of a third.......).

I am a big Sanderson guy, and, no one can disagree that Terry was at the helm when they righted the ship in 2004.

That said, Keenan and Comeau have proven themselves brilliant NLL coaches too, and, pulling the trigger on them that quickly in a rebuild year was nuts.......and, it felt like the team was kicking Bartley when he was down.

I do love pondering "what if"......and I wonder what the 2005 team would have looked like if Keenan and Comeau had a chance to rebuild it.

17. AmericanRockFan

I kinda wonder how I'd have felt about the Comeau and Keenan firings in 2004 if I had followed things more closely then. At the time as a faraway observer with no TV exposure, my mentality after the 2-4 start and their firing was something like Clearly the Rock have high standards. Whether that was right, I'm not sure.

For what it's worth, I did sort of understand giving Clark a longer leash only cause his teams were nowhere near as talented. But mind you, he also shouldn't have been here nearly as long as he was as the head coach.

A big "what if" I have about 2004 too is how would Kim Squire's career have played out had Les never gotten sick. Of course Kimbo is a grown up, capable of making his own choices in life, but it'd be interesting to know if Les' positive influence would've kept him in the league longer.