Bloomberg: New Lacrosse Team Is Headed to New York's Nassau Coliseum

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by wingsfan20, Sep 21, 2018.

1. wingsfan20

wingsfan20 Guest

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

While I believe that WILL be the case, I don't believe it IS the case until the league announces something....

From that article...
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-09-21/new-lacrosse-team-is-said-headed-to-new-york-s-nassau-coliseum?__twitter_impression=true

The National Lacrosse League is expanding again, this time to Long Island, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The professional indoor lacrosse league is nearing an agreement to place a franchise at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, the arena in Uniondale, New York, controlled by Brooklyn Nets parent company BSE Global. The league is close to selecting an ownership group for the team, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private.

The NLL, which currently has 11 teams, declined to comment, as did BSE Global. The Coliseum is also the part-time home of the National Hockey League’s New York Islanders, who also play at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.

Planting a flag on Long Island is part of an expansion plan for the league, which has existed in its current incarnation since 1997. NLL earlier this month awarded a franchise to Halifax, Nova Scotia, which will assume the club that’s currently playing in Rochester, New York. As part of that deal the league added a new team to Rochester that’ll be controlled by Buffalo Bills and Sabres owner Terry Pegula.

Long Island has long been considered a hotbed for U.S. lacrosse, which had 447,213 youth participants last year (14 and under), up from 241,581 a decade earlier, according to the sport’s national governing body. The sport is also booming at the college level. Last year, 371 schools sponsored men’s lacrosse, up from 295 in 2012. For women’s lacrosse, the number rose to 498 schools from 376 in the same five-year period.

The NLL operates its own online video service and announced a deal in March to show matches on AT&T Inc.’s B/R/ Live sports streaming app. The league has also had digital broadcasting agreements with Twitter Inc., Facebook Inc. and CBS Corp.’s online division.

Major League Lacrosse, the professional outdoor league, has a team that plays at Hofstra University, which is about a quarter mile from the Coliseum.

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

The NY Rocky Shoals

4. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

The term hotbed is repugnant And is completely overused in terms of various cities in the mid Atlantic region

Vin likes this.
  5. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

This is awesome!

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The fact that National Lacrosse League is returning to NASSAU COLISEUM is fantastic news. I have NO DOUBT that the Long Island faithful will support the NEW YORK (INSERT NAME HERE) and the team will be properly run because HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED will not be involved in the ownership of the team.

7. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

I'd like them to bring back the Saints name.

MILLwasbetter and dougm like this.
  8. AmericanRockFan

I feel like others are gonna crap on the idea, but I agree. I grew up with a team called the New York Saints in this league, and I’d like to have another team in the league by that name for nostalgia sake.

9. Hollywood42

TIM KELLY KILLED NY DRAGONS

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  10. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

It's not a bad idea. I don't think they'll go with it but I wouldn't be upset.

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I'd love for them to bring back the logo as well, but it's way too 1990's.

12. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Would be interesting if, in fact, it's the Islanders as owners rather than Tsai. They will need additional content when they open the Belmont Arena in 2021. Spend a year or two at the Coliseum and then off to Belmont.

13. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I'd be fine with them bringing back the Saints or Titans name. But the Saints logo would definitely need an update.

14. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

Please do not say "Rocky" when mentioning NY lacrosse.............:eek:
    You know better! :D

15. Wings-4-Life

Why you gotta be a jerk?

[​IMG]

16. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Honestly, I like the Titan's name/logo/colors better!

17. Hollywood42

If ny gets a team I’d forget the titans existed

18. AmericanRockFan

I like the Saints logo, especially considering what some logos of NLL past have looked like.

Also, didn’t the Vegas Golden Knights poach the Titans logo?

19. Hollywood42

No the Titans poached their logo from a box of condoms

20. Wings-4-Life

Almost identical. The Titans used a T for the face, while Vegas uses a V.