Bob Watson vs. Nick Rose

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Dec 30, 2016.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

This might sound like a ridiculous thread or even a ridiculous topic to discuss, but I felt like the fact that Rose actually has a better career save percentage and goals against average as a member of the Rock than Watson had is worth noting.

So when it comes down to it, was Watson actually better than Rose, or was he just the beneficiary of a better defense? For me personally, stats aside, I'd still take Watson over Rose.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Can't argue with numbers, but, not every save is created equally.

What I felt with Watson is that he was better than the rest, maybe except for Eliuk, at coming up with the three or four clutch saves that the team needed turn a 1-2 goal loss into a 1-2 goal win.

Rose has won lots of games, but, I don't feel he's stolen anywhere near as many as Watson.

The other side of this is that I'm not sure any of the present group of starters is up there with Watson.......so, would any of them actually be a major improvement on Rose? Not sure myself. What we have might be good enough if the team is shored up to contender status.

3. AmericanRockFan

I agree with your take on this. I can't really recall a game where I was left thinking "man, Rose stole that one for the Rock tonight!" unlike when Watson and Cosmo were around.

And even though Matt Vinc has won a handful of goalie of the year awards, I still don't think he's an upgrade over Watson.

4. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

My inner contrarian wanted to suggest Ward and Bold as possibilities for clutch goalies on a Watson/Eliuk level but that's just me trying to start a fight. I truthfully haven't seen Ward, Bold, Vinc, etc. steal games in the same way Watson and Eliuk did.

Ward, Bold, Vinc, etc. are skilled goalies mind you, perhaps more so than Rose. Not that I'm a Rose basher: he can be part of a championship team, if given an effective O and D to work behind.

5. AmericanRockFan

I can agree with this. I think Vince is a better goalie than Rose, but I am more comfortable with Rose in goal now in 2017 than I was with him in 2014 or so. I'm not sure if he's actually improved since then, or I've just become more comfortable with him around.

6. AmericanRockFan

I'm stupid for making this thread.

Bob Watson > Brandon Miller > Nick Rose.

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if rose played the entire game, not sure if the rock would had won. miller was just miller. imho he is unflappable, which means he is neither hot or cold, just is.