Can we get Crowley?!?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by Speedracer33, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Speedracer33

Speedracer33 Member

The last I heard, Kevin Crowley was still living in Philadelphia. If we get a new lacrosse team, I would have to think that his preference would be to play at home again. I think he would be an easy choice for team captain as well. Do you think it is possible we could land him?

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Manney posted to twitter that himself is happy Philadelphia is back but intends to continue his career in NE , I'd imagine Crowley is the same way, they are a very close knit team. Plus he would likely command a ton in return and I don't think Philadelphia is wise to get right back into draft pick hell all over again

dougm likes this.
  3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Assuming Crowley is still playing in 2018-19 anywhere, NewWings could likely get him via Expansion Draft. There'd have to be some backroom trading going on because Crowley is a VIP.

For example, let's assume Crowley is still playing for New England going into that season.

Each existing team is going to specify 2 or 3 untouchable franchise players before the Expansion Draft.
    There is a good chance that New England would make Kevin Crowley and Shawn Evans be the franchise players.

Now, let's say Crowley does wish to play for NewWings and the NewWings want him. There likely would have to be some deals made pre-draft so appease New England and San Diego so NewWings can get him. Either that, or there has to be some kind of deal after the Expansion Draft like giving up 2020 draft picks or such.

HOWEVER, if New England does not assign the franchise player tag to Crowley, either SD or NewWings can draft him. As good as Crowley still is, does he deserve franchise player status in New England? If SD drafted him, then NewWings would have to deal with them to get him.

Something else to think about...

In the past, owners tried to secure players that lived locally to cut down on travel expenses. With these new owners and with future owners, sourcing local players is not such a big deal because these owners want quality players over local players; the cost isn't so much a factor for them.

This will be part of the evolution of the league transitioning from a truly minor league to a bigger league like the MLS. Expect to see players be full-time NLL within 20 years, likely 10-15 as the new owners can pay higher salaries and cut costs by having players live locally.

4. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

5. Hollywood42

Crowley just reupped 1 year with NE

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Great analysis Vin. I still think there will be local positioning in some way or another. This league still doesn't pay enough to keep guys from being where they really want to be. Familiar names will be longer in tooth by 2018. I would not be surprised at all if one or both find a way home. It would only make sense, but I totally am against the cited "draft pick hell" to make it happen. That wouldn't make any sense.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I wonder how many forwards will quickly become Transition players in the coming months to get around that rule. :rolleyes:

Also, guys get traded based on geographic locations every year. Crowley and Manney may be able to do the same thing.

smurf666 likes this.
  8. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Chuckster,

Unless NE is giving them away. (Which they are not) I let Crowley and Manney rot in New England.

9. Hollywood42

I wouldn't say they are rotting in NE
    They got it made pretty well in terms of
    Limo service from airport to Mohegan
    Food stipend within the complex
    Rooms at Mohegan (visitors stay elsewhere )
    I'm sure the travel does suck but every home game is a vacation for them
    They however are not permitted to gamble at Mohegan sun as they are technically employees

10. swami24

Had not thought about that potential rule. Then again, these.guys could lose.their game check in a hurry on a weekly basis if they played.

11. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I like the way you think!

See, my favourite sport is actually NLL roster/player-status-list manipulation :D

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It's known as the Curt Styres Rule....he perfected player status rule manipulation a few years ago. :p

smurf666 likes this.
  13. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

what did it cost us to ransom back bergey twice from tom ryan...one was casey powell if I am not mistaken. I won't remind myself trading the rights to draft kyle rubisch for max seibald.

14. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

the Bergey thing was sort of hilarious........except that it effed Bergey out of a retirement swan song tour of the NLL.

i had forgotten about the price of Siebald being Rubisch......that is steep!

15. swami24

We do not know who will manage the team,but we know who WILL NOT!!!!!!
    That is the next big question. Build a winner, do not build a team on bandaids

16. Wingslax1426

Wingslax1426 Guest

Yes... yes we can

17. swami24

I wonder whatever happened.to that Smurf guy?

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

long term disability......he might be back on a temp/part time basis if my own department cannot handle its responsibilities for any reason

19. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I think he took a job at RockyMaivia's carpet cleaning service and was never seen again.... Apparently some shady **** happens in Ardmore, not that I'd know from experience or anything.

RockStar likes this.