1. As of May 24, 2018 our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have been updated.
    Dismiss Notice

Canisius Lacrosse?

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, May 8, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I didn't even know that Canisius had a D1 lacrosse program but apparently they're playing Robert Morris in the play in game tomorrow. Does anyone think they have a chance of advancing?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think they do, even though they lost to Robert Morris during the season. But the winner gets to be slaughtered by #1 seed Maryland so it will be a short-lived tournament for the winner.

Canisius has been D1 in lacrosse for a long time. Their coach is Mark Miyashita who played in the NLL and they've had guys like Matt Vinc and Adam Jones on their teams.

3. AmericanRockFan

Interesting. I really don't follow college lacrosse a whole lot since a lot of other winter/spring sports trump my fandom for it, but it's nice to know that there's a respectable D1 program in western New York to go check out if I'm interested in checking out a game. Too bad the game tomorrow is at 4 or else I'd make the trip down the thruway to check it out.

4. fandit

fandit Active Member

Randy Mearns was brought in a few years back to put them on the map. It has worked. Mearnsy left at the start of this season to create a program at, I believe St. Bonaventure. Another former "boxer", Mark Miyashita is the current Head Coach at Canisius. Mad props to everyone over there, in both the men's and women's programs, for a great season. Hope you are playing for weeks to come.

5. chuckster

Mearns left to start a program from scratch at St. Bonaventure. They begin next year. I don't think they announced what conference they will play in since the Atlantic 10 doesn't support men's lacrosse.

6. AmericanRockFan

Here's an article on today's game in Buffalo News that I found
    http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/08/canisius-mens-lacrosse-hosts-but-faces-uphill-battle-in-ncaa-tournament-play-in-game/

I'm looking forward to getting to see D1 lacrosse in western New York evolve. It'll be nice to have an option other than Syracuse or Albany to see.

7. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Yup, Dan Coates, Dan Carey & Tim Edwards are other Canisius alums off the top of my head. The Mammoth love their Griffs. Vinc, Jones, Coates, Carey, Edwards & Miyashita have all either played for Colorado or Colorado had their rights (Vinc was a dispersal selection by the Mammoth before being traded to Rochester).

8. Komarem

Komarem Guest

I believe Canisius' Connor Kiernan was the second overall pick by Brooklin in the Major Series Lax draft this year. He's also expected to be a real good future NLL player. So the Canisius pipeline to the NLL will continue.

9. AmericanRockFan

Unfortunate to see Canisius lost 12-6 to Robert Morris today.

10. chuckster

Miyashita is quoted in the Buffalo News today as saying he is going to heavily recruit in Canada and not just Ontario but also BC (where he's from) and Alberta.

Losing to Robert Morris is saving Canisius from getting pasted by Maryland.

11. AmericanRockFan

True that, although if I'm connected to the Canisius program I'd rather be the team that got pasted by Maryland than the team that got pasted by Robert Morris who then got pasted by Maryland :p