Canucks to purchase Stealth?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BIG E NY, Jun 18, 2018.

1. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Unsure how it'll impact attendance, but if brings stability to the team then I'm all for it.

3. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Would be another big win for the NLL and lacrosse as a whole. NHL ownership for half of the league.

Buffalo
    Philadelphia
    Rochester (potentially)
    Calgary
    Colorado
    Vancouver

4. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Wow! That's news.

Moving from an events center in Langley to the big arena downtown. Hopefully this works out well for them!

6. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

FIRE LOCKER!!!!!!!!today for christ sakes

RockStar likes this.
  7. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

Wow. Big news for sure. I'm floored right now.

8. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Next thing I want to see is the Arlottas selling to Predators Holdings, LLC.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Boom! Didn't see that one coming, especially with all the talk about the Hawks and Halifax.

And there's this -- "The franchise will undergo a transformation during this off season as they take on a new team name, logo and brand to be unveiled in the coming months."

So no more Stealth. Are the Ravens coming back?

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  10. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

Figured as much. R.I.P. Stealth.

11. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Good news

12. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Good riddance! Stupid indoor soccer-sounding name that has zero relevance to Vancouver.

MILLwasbetter, RockStar and BIG E NY like this.
  13. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

Here are some of the latest articles:
    http://www.vancourier.com/canucks-purchase-nll-stealth-1.23339907
    http://medicinehatnews.com/sports/national-sports/2018/06/18/canucks-group-acquires-nlls-stealth-says-lacrosse-team-will-be-rebranded/
    https://www.langleyadvance.com/news/stealth-leaves-langley-to-play-at-rogers-arena/
    http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-purchase-national-lacrosse-leagues-vancouver-stealth

Additionally, nice to see another NHL team take ownership. I wonder if they will call them the Vancouver Ravens again. Last time they had a team at the same arena was 2003-2004 where they had an 8 game total of 56,992 (average = 7,124/game).

14. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Best news in a long time. However, having said that kudos to Denise Watkins for all she did to try and make the franchise a go in the Vancouver area. A no brainer to sell to the Canucks who have all the marketing tools to make the team viable. Yes, would love to see a new branding and name change.

Biggest area to fix is the management and coaching. Agree 100% with Waxlax when he said to fire Doug Locker asap as well as the entire coaching staff. Starting new with the Canucks franchise, then build a new management and coaching team. There will certainly be lots of folks putting their names forward for HC position as well as assistant coaches. My hope, as a long time Roughneck fan, is that they try get the former Captain of the Roughnecks, Andrew McBride, on staff, likely as a Defensive coach. He is one of the upcoming bright lights in coaching and as HC and GM of the Okotok Raiders put Alberta Lacrosse on the map at the Minto Cup last year. They have to think out of the box and bring the young talented guys that are teachers, have high lacrosse IQ's and passion for the game. Looking forward to see what happens.

15. nickp91

nickp91 New Member

Hopefully the new lacrosse team can gain traction in the market But it also seems like Acquilini is making moves to create a sports empire out west Can the BC Lions be next? Or an NBA franchise?

16. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

Definitely kudos to Denise and family for keeping it going for so long. That ends my season tickets unfortunately as it is way too far of a drive to do all winter. they will do fine. They will wear green and blue colors I would have to think.

17. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

And Calgary Mountaineers put Alberta lax on the map two years ago in the minto.

18. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Yeah, what could go wrong with that?

dougm and MILLwasbetter like this.
  19. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Definitely a good move to get them out of Langley. It always looked minor league playing there. Pairing with the NHL team makes the most sense. As others have said, you have to give Denise Watkins a ton of credit for hanging in there in a tough situation attendance-wise, which was compounded by chronically poor records especially at home.

20. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The NBA is going to get a team back into Seattle well before they even sniff at Vancouver. They don't need to create a rivalry for Sonics 2.0 with the Trailblazers about 3ish hours away.