Challenge to the Knighthawks Krew :)

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks/Rattlers Krew Forum' started by torrrock, Jul 22, 2002.

1. torrrock

torrrock New Member

A bunch of us Rock fans got together for a pickup game of box lacrosse last night. We had a great time.

Someone mentioned that it would be cool to play a game against the Krew.

Not sure if we can pull it off, but we should try, it would be a lot of fun. Here's the idea:
    Once the OLA playoff schedule comes out, hopefully we can find a date that the Krew is available (i.e. no Rattler's game)

Early afternoon: Rock Roadies vs Rochester Krew (you can even bring in the Krew West, aka Bandit fans)

That Night: OLA playoff game

What do you think?

Once we had a few beers in us after the game, the plan got more and more elaborate, by the end we saw ourselves playing the Krew at half time during an NLL game! Hey, if the kids and mascots can do it, why not the fans?!?:rotfl:

2. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

This is Intriguing !!!

Wow, Torrrock;

This is a great idea. I can dust off my Air Force Lacrosse Jersey and this would give me a great way to get back in shape. I think we just need to coordinate everything from players (co-ed??) to sponsors and maybe even make it a charity event going to our two favorite charities. Each player donates $25 US or CDN to play and we pass around a helmet through the stands.

The Krew will donate our proceeds to the US Lacrosse Foundation- Rochester Chapter.

I'm pretty sure I can dig up two lines of players from the Krew and maybe even scrape up a goalie or two.

Here are some that might play:

Knabber
    KHC
    Krewman
    Gonzo
    Grantfan
    Richie Sacko
    Heather Sacko
    Hittrain (Goalie??)
    Jamie da Paison
    Rowdie CJ
    Rowdie Pooh
    Rowdie Guy Eh?

and maybe even:
    Dave C. (VP of Knighthawks Ticket Sales)
    Craig R. (PR Director (out of commission with a broken wrist now)
    Jim S. (Director of Rattlers Ticket Sales)

Let's try and make this work.

Knabber

ALRIGHT KREW, THE GAUNTLET HAS BEEN CAST. NOW, WE HAVE TO GET A TEAM TOGETHER AND GET SOME TIME TOGETHER. I AM ASSUMING THIS WILL BE OPEN TO MEN AND WOMEN AND KIDS 16 AND OVER??

I WILL TRY AND GET SOME RULES FROM THE ROCK ROADIES SO WE CAN WORK ON GETTING OUR RHYTHM DOWN.

PLEASE CONTACT ME ON THIS THREAD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING US FOR A FUN GAME WITH LITTLE OR NO CONTACT.

KNABBER

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2002
  3. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Brampton Centre for Sports and Entertainment, aka The Barracks has floor time for $50/hr plus GST, which is really good.

We can book floor time at the Brampton Centre for Sports and Entertainment for $50/hour (on the carpet!) + GST = $53.50 CDN.
    If you would like to have the game there, please let me know and I will do what I can to book it ASAP. We would be playing on the old Maple Leaf Gardens turf, a surface I am sure that the Rochester fans would be familiar with.

As for other floor time, if y'all want to play on concrete, let me know, and I'll go ahead and book floortime at the appropriate arena.

As for rules:
    No contact, period. Stick checking is iffy, but you might be able to get away with it...depends on how nice the ref is.
    Picks are allowed, as long as no contact is made with the stick, and they are legal picks (not moving).
    You cannot get your stick in the person's face, as this is considered interference.
    30 sec. shot clock.
    Eligibility: anyone can play, 19 and over (we might want to go drinkin' after, and it would suck if half the team couldn't come with).
    Yadda yadda yadda. We had a fairly free flowing game playing half-floor, and everyone had loads of fun, but let me know if you want to book the BCSE and I'll go ahead and do that.

4. torrrock

torrrock New Member

BCSE is only $50, that's great!

No contact? I guess someone forgot to tell me that last night:)

We had 3 ladies come out last night, I don't like them showing us guys up, but I guess we'll let them play again

5. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

Look's like it's on !!

Wow;

I just sent out a little email to the Krew and the response has been overwhelming so far.

A couple of other questions that we have are what type of equipment do you require. I'm not sure if the sports arena requires helmets, gloves, pads, etc. Some of the people that want to play only have a stick.

Let us know so we can be as prepared as possible. Unfortunately, We didn't grow up with the sport so most of us have the bare essentials.

I have a couple of sticks, some gloves, pads, helmet and some turf shoes.

Here we go Krewhawks, Here we go !!!

Knabber

6. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Well, the equipment that the 10 runner we had were the basics:
    Helmet and cage (hey, I'm way to pretty to take a ball in the face!)
    Cup (my boys need a house, Jerry! A House!)
    Gloves
    Stick
    Canadan was between the pipes in Anthony Cosmos equipment...

I do believe that the arena would require you to wear a helmet, just as common sense more than anything else, as they require everyone out there skating during winter to wear one. AS for the turf shoes, Knabber, you won't need those, it's the old carpet from MLG and you can wear runners on that. I think management of the building would be pretty upset if you were to wear turf shoes on that carpet, too :D.

7. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

Thanks Meat.

Alrighty;

That's give me somewhere to begin.

We might have a mixture of field and box helmets, but I should be able to get everyone helmetized.

Our girls will probably be wearing women's lax gloves, so no (incidental hand checks) contact will have to be enforced. Haha. If you have 3 girls in your troop, then I think we can match that with 3 from here.

This sounds like it is going to be so much fun even for a couple of hours on a weekend. What was the score of the game last night in Mississauga (sp.) and who was the MVP (besides Canadan for standing in front of you hacks)?

Did anybody take out any lights?

Talk to you soon;

Knabber
    P.S. Do the losers buy the first round? If so, I like Maudite on tap. Haha :rotfl:

8. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Well, as crazy as this sounds, I have e-mailed and called the Brampton Excelsiors front office asking if we could get floor time between periods at an OLA game, and barring that, I'll rent floor space before the playoff game and we can get dinner beofre the game at RealStars in the BCSE...

The score of the last game was White 6-Blue 6. It was a hard fought game, very few penalties, and more than a few people gasping like fishies for breath. I am not 100% sure of they would let us book at the BCSE on a game day, as a matter of fact, I'm on the phone to find that out as we speak...so far, no answer, it looks like Suzie has stepped away from her desk...more as it becomes available...

9. torrrock

torrrock New Member

I'll throw a date out there ... how about August 24th.

1. Lots of notice
    2. I think MLL finals are the weekend after that, so hopefully the Krew are available
    3. OLA finals!
    4. I'll be on vacation Aug 3-18th (ok, personal reason:)) ... hmm, good chance I could miss this. If it ends up on the 17th I might just have to try to get home early, wouldn't be easy though.

Another date I'll suggest is September 7th, the MANN cup runs from Sept 4-12th.

Floor time is a bit more in Whitby where the MANN cup will be held but that's okay (Brampton fans just groaned in unison:))

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'm in!

Just give me as much notice as you can, and I'll move heaven and earth to be there!

Just one thought:

There has to be gentle stick checking allowed at the very least. Without this, there's really precious little point in running back to defend your own goal.

We will likely be able to get a real ref on the floor with us, so if anyone does anything more violent than a tap to the stick shaft or net, a penalty can be assessed.

We had soft stick checking in our pick-up game, and no one got carried away, or hurt. Hell, I took a couple playful cross-checks from Meathead and RockFinn, no harm done! For that matter, my high-school phys-ed teacher let us stick check when we were playing field.....that was with no helmets, gloves, or other equipment.

11. whipperrocks

whipperrocks New Member

count me in also....sounds like lotsa fun.....

12. KhawkCruisin

KhawkCruisin Moderator

OH, I am so in!! This is going to be awesome! Have a few requests:

1. Ladies do NOT have to use a Woman's stick, it should be their option

2. Rules should NOT be modified because of the presence of women on the teams. (I can't stand that. If I want to play women's Lax, then I'd join a team....)

3. There has to be SOME hitting involved, come on that's part of the game (LET THEM PLAY, LET THEM PLAY)

I'm sure I can think of some more when I'm not so tired.....

Anyways, as long as its not the week of the cruise, all good to go!

13. rockhead

rockhead Member

I'm am so in on this... just please make it before August 30th because some of us have to trek back to Waterloo for school and I can't guarantee I could get back for a game.

14. DJKHawkfan

DJKHawkfan New Member

ok, aside from the fact i've never played an organized game, i'd like to play.

However, it may be tough depending on the day, i got school coming soon plus other stuff, let me know asap.

15. Canadan

Canadan New Member

I'll volunteer to go between the pipes again!! My speed on the floor could be measured with a calendar. I guess i'm a "Cos Wannabe"!! Last night's pick-up game was the first time i've played goal in lax in almost three decades!! (ewwwwww)

16. D.Mal #18

D.Mal #18 New Member

I agree with KHC that girls shouldn't be treated differently just because we're girls.
    The only request that I have is that we don't play on August 17th.
    I'm off to get a stick and get practicin'!!:)

17. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

I have spoken with the Brampton Centre for Sports and Entertainment front office concerning renting the floor on a playoff day, and they have confirmed that we can get on the floor any time before 6PM on a playoff game day, which means that we can do the NLL Fanarama 2.5+ any time before a Brampton game, catch dinner ar Real Stars, lick our wounds and watch the game from the licenced bleachers behind the home goal. :drunk:

As for putting on a show between periods, nothing from the Brampton Excelsiors head office yet, so we're still up in the air. Once the playoff schedule comes out, we can decide on a weekend date, and we can go from there. Nothing's been posted at The OLA Website, but we'll see what we can do. I may be in Bristol on the weekend in question (the 24th)...:( Here's hoping that I'm not.

Knabber, drop me a line, we can gab about rules and line-ups and stuff, and we'll see if we can get our hands on a hometown referee. :D Hit me at radgarraider@hotmail.com.

See you on the floor!
    Let the mayhem begin! 7/28/2002.

18. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

Late August sounds perfect.

Howdie Fellow Hackers;

I think that the 24th works great for everyone from Rochester, so I would like to try and pursue that date. Saturdays work the best so we don't have to rush home after a game on Sunday and Fridays would be almost impossible to get to after work.

The weekend of the 18th, I'll be down in New Jersey for the Rattlers last regular season game.

Let me know as soon as possible if the 24th works for everyone.

Thanks again;

Knabber

19. Haftalax

Haftalax New Member

Still the most viable weekend for most of us.

Hey Saintsdude;

I think that Saturday will still probably be the best time for most of us from Rochester considering we would probably attend the MLL Semi's in Rochester, but travelling two weekends in a row from the East Coast to Columbus, OH for the Championship Game is too much for right now.

I am shooting for the 24th in Brampton for this game.

Talk to you soon and hope you can still make it.

Knabber

20. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Knabber:
    If you need to reach me, drop me a message at 905-804-5779 during the day, and fire a few e-mails at me. I check these boards once an hour when I'm at work and first thing in the morning, so if you want to fire e-mails back and forth, just leave a time in this thread overnight and I'm be online in the morning. Unfortunately. I can't download anything to this computer as it's the company's, I can go online, but that's it. No Shockwave 8.1.1, no Macromedia Flash, no MSN Messenger just plain old MSExplorer and Hotmail.

Aaron Freeland
    aka
    Meathead