Chesapeake Bayhawks to build $40 million lacrosse-specific stadium and MLL Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by WILaxFan, Apr 28, 2017.

1. WILaxFan

WILaxFan Member

2. Winger86

Winger86 Member

BanditsRock11 likes this.
  3. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

Is the entire MLL even worth $40 million?

4. WILaxFan

WILaxFan Member

Obviously, the NLL shares stadiums with hockey, basketball and other sports.

Similarly, the MLL shares stadiums with MLS soccer.

But the keys are:
    1. Who owns the stadium vs. who rents it out? Who gets to count the stadium as part of the value of the franchise?
    2. Who receives the stadium naming, in-stadium advertising revenue and per-seat revenue?
    3. Who gets the coveted Saturday night game times?
    4. What sport is the stadium sight lines built for?
    Minor note: Did everyone see that someone crunched the numbers on the MLS business model:
    http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=692

5. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

I think you're more likely to see an AHL/NLL specific arena built than an NLL specific venue which would only be used 9-12 times a year.

6. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

if i was a taxpayer, i'd be lighting my torch and sharpening my pitchfork.

smurf666 likes this.
  7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Why? This stadium would be privately funded and be place on the "long vacant" lot of a hospital that had closed years ago.

According to Mark Burdett, President of the Bayhawks:
    Frankly, I think its a smart move on multiple grounds.

8. Winger86

Winger86 Member

I think he was referring to someone building an NLL-specific stadium, But with dougm, who knows.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

$40-million investment, $1-million payback break even?

http://www.mdstad.com/pdf/CompleteMSAAnnualReportFY16.pdf

go to page 29-30, their buildings - camden yards, ravens stadium - lose money. last year, they required $14 million from the state and city to help bridge $22-million loss, of which $20 million came from normal operations.

i think the lead of the article being an mll designed stadium is misleading. it will be multi purpose with the bayhawks being one of their tenants. the site could house both mll and nll as the final plans include an arena, i'm guessing the size of the mohegan sun, as well.

10. Wingsfan23

Wingsfan23 Member

well for a team that averages 6,000 a game and is on a Decline season by season how big could they go?
    if its something like talon energy stadium that houses the Philadelphia Union in chester PA thats a decent size venue with 18,000 capacity but youd still see a glaring amount of empty seats for a MLL game

11. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Look at fortress field in Ohio. It's lacrosse specific (even though the now defunct pro rugby was supposed to share it )

It seats 6.5k on one side of field with room to expand... It's also a multi purpose sporting park with the machine as the primary tenant.

Bayhawks will likely have something similar... Not sure if it's the right time for the MLL to start doing this but if it helps profits why not.

12. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Would a MLS team go there too? It is MD, so they could use it to host a lot of other lax. Don't look for them to accept the indoor game.there.

13. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

My response to this story:

[​IMG]

smurf666 and Tom Wersderfer like this.
  14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with this....

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  15. nickp91

nickp91 New Member

Major League Lacrosse, which currently consists of nine teams, continues to consider expansion opportunities. This year's MLL All-Star weekend will be held in Sacramento, California while the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas will host the championship game

16. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I like the idea of lacrosse specific stadiums in the MLL because I watch the MLL, and it means teams are more likely to stay where they are. Building a stadium is a pretty big commitment, so the city the Machine play in will be more invested in keeping them there than say, Florida is playing in FAU's football stadium.

That being said, I can't believe this is even possible at this point in the MLL. The league has some nice things going for it. It gets better sponsors than the NLL, can market former college players better, actually gets its title game on television. However, the attendance hasn't been there. If you could get the MLL's sponsors and the NLL's attendance you'd have a really solid league.

17. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I agree with that 100% last night buffalo and Calgary got 18k in attendance each ! That's huge progress! I watch and enjoy both leagues a lot.

Personally I think that if the two leagues can't work together one (MLL) will fold eventually.

18. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

mll has been sponsor driven day 1, my first impression of it was a promotional device for warrior lacrosse.
    mill had enough sponsors to get on espn2. nll guys seemed uninterested to do that until recently.
    the wings mill program was jam packed with sponsors with spots i wanted to go, our last promotional tie ins were with 10 year girl dance troupes!!

19. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I've liked that as of late players can wear different products than Warrior. I believe you can now wear Warrior, Brine, Adidas, STX, Maverick and New Balance. Solves the issue where players sign a marketing deal with one company so they won't play in the MLL (happened a lot with STX, where players would opt to play in the now-defunct LXM Pro instead) or it feeling like it's just Warrior all the time.

Attendance in the MLL has been kinda rough the past two years though. I think the early start to the season isn't helping. Even Charlotte, in a great lacrosse market, is struggling.

As I've said since I was little, every year these two leagues just exist is positive.

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I still think it is a good idea because it is in Maryland. It's a good size and should gets lots of rental time.

It sort of reminds me of what RPI did about a decade ago.
    http://rpi.edu/tour/ecav/