Coaching shakeup

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by GoKHawksGo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

Mike Accursi and Marshall Abrams will be on the bench this year. No official word on who is out...maybe Paul Day's time is up

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I didn't realize until just now that the Knighthawks technically had 7 assistant coaches on the roster last season :confused:

3. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

Good I don't think I could take another season of Paul Day's offense.

Knighthawks 2017 roster + Cody Jamieson - Paul Day = Potential Championship Contenders.

Suddenly I'm a lot more optimistic about this season.

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

There's optimism and then there's optimism. The 2017 Knighthawks scored 9.72 goals per game. There have only been ten seasons worse than that in the history of the league, and never in an 18-game season. Changing the coach and adding one player, even one as good as Jamieson, can improve the team but is unlikely to turn them instantly into championship contenders. I'm surprised at how quiet the Knighthawks have been in the trade and free agent markets.

Then again, this is the NLL so I suppose anything's possible.

5. k-hawksfan33

I feel like this league is so competitive it really doesn't take much to completely turn it around. Jamieson completely changes the dynamic of the offense. Suddenly Dawson isn't getting double teamed and has room to set up plays. Suddenly the goalie has a legitimate outside threat to worry about. Added to the fact that Currier and Jackson now have a year of experience under their belt, I honestly don't see why the Hawks couldn't be potential contenders this year.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Jamieson by himself is a minimum one goal per game swing to the positive.

that alone might be the difference between last season, and a .500 or better season.....particularly when every team but GA and Sask were mediocre ish or worse.

7. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

I take it back. I looked into the numbers and it not only can be done, but has been done. And by the Knighthawks, no less.

The 2006 Knighthawks scored 196 goals in 16 games (12.25 average). The 2007 Knighthawks scored 249 (15.56), with no significant offensive changes. In fact, their top five scorers were the same, and in the same order (Grant, Williams, Scott Evans, Accursi, Shawn Evans). But each of those players except Shawn Evans had either their best or second best season ever in 2007. Oddly, the 2008 Knighthawks dropped almost exactly the same amount, back down to 197 goals in 16 games (12.31). They lost Accursi in 2008 and Grant, Williams, and Scott Evans dropped back down to their 2006 numbers.

The 2011 Mammoth jumped from 9.38 goals/game in 2011 to 13.56 in 2012. But 2012 was John Grant's amazing season with 116 points in 14 games, and they also added Adam Jones, Sean Pollock, and a full season of Gavin Prout (only played 6 games in 2011).

So with a healthy Jamieson, Dawson getting back to his regular form, and no significant drops from the rookies, the Knighthawks could look pretty good in 2018. Not sure I'd go so far as to predict championship contention, but two of their three recent championships came in seasons where they finished at or below .500 so who knows.

8. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I'm expecting the Rock, Bandits and Knighthawks in a log jam for second, with NE one or two games behind them, and Georgia one or two games ahead of the pack. It's going to be a tight race.

9. AmericanRockFan

I agree with this here. I don't see Georgia slowing down at all in 2018, and I see the rest of the division in a closely contested battle for second. A couple odd bounces here or there is probably going to determine who finishes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in 2018.

10. k-hawksfan33

Agreed. For the first time Georgia has decided to not trade away their assets when they deserve more money. Hope this decision pays off financially.

11. AmericanRockFan

Not yet, anyways. Let's see what happens at draft time, BUT I think this is the year Georgia doesn't have some of clearance sale.