1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyotes are staying!

Discussion in 'Arizona Sting Forum' started by Vin, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

It was intense debate, but in a 4-3 vote, the Glendale City Council voted to keep the team.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/07/03/us/ap-hkn-coyotes-lease-vote.html?hp&_r=0

2. Craigwd

Craigwd Member

Awesome news!

I know I'm in the minority but they are my favourite team in the NHL. Glad they are staying put. :cool:

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate for the NHL.

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I don't think so and Bettmann doesn't either.

5. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

I'm glad they are staying. Massive market and it's good for the sport in the long run, if you care about growing the sport of hockey in the USA. If not, more small market canadian teams like Winnipeg are the way to go I guess..

6. Wings-4-Life

Oh, well I guess if Bettman likes it, then it must be right. :rolleyes:

7. Wings-4-Life

Not sure why that matters. Atlanta is a bigger market, and just as un-hockey friendly. They've failed twice, as have the Coyotes, but no one will let them leave peacefully.

8. Wings-4-Life

Should also be noted there's an out clause should things fail:

Coyotes.PNG

9. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

I think it terms of wanting hockey and the NHL to grow it does matter. By having teams in huge markets, even if they don't draw amazing, exposes the game and the sport to young kids and people that may never really know anything about hockey at all.

It certainly helps USA hockey also. There's now kids from California on the team USA under 18 team, who knows maybe they never touch hockey gear if they don't know about the Ducks, or Kings or whatever team was near by.

Same with places like Texas, and Atlanta. USA hockey is starting to get kids from those markets that they probably never would have without some type of hockey or NHL exposure.

I'm all for growing the game in the USA and in general, so I try and look at this through those glasses.

10. Wings-4-Life

I am too, but at the same time I'm not. It would be nice to see kids lace on skates instead of play basketball, but growing it just means more teams, and I already feel the NHL should cut down to about 26 so as it is.

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

No, but at the same time, considering that he's kept the league alive, it's getting record ratings and profits and people are actually beginning to care a bit, he shouldn't exactly be snubbed. Like him or not, he gets the job done which is why the owners haven't oustered him.

He's right about Phoenix too so I am glad that he stuck with it.

12. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Meh. Evs.

13. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Do not count on anything yet. RSE/ Ice Arizona still has to close the deal with the NHL. A few years back when the group was working under the Ice Edge Holding name. They failed to do exactly that.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I'm not too concerned. Commissioner Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Daly were there at the Glendale City Council meeting in support of RSE. Bettman spoke in fact. I think one reason was that they wanted to pressure Glendale to commit one way or the other because, if the RSE deal was going to tank, the NHL was going to sell (for even more $, I believe) to a group in Seattle and move them there.

I believe from the NHL's perspective that they wanted this done. For certain good-for-the-league reasons, staying in Phoenix is what they wanted. They also didn't want to keep owning and operating that team which they had done for years. Also, the NHL itself was going to make money on the purchase of the team; they got it at auction for 140 M$ and were selling it for more, I believe. Finally, Glendale owed the NHL 25 M$ for managing the arena, I believe.

The NHL wants its money and for the team to be in Arizona, so I don't see them blocking a deal now. They really wouldn't have too much to gain by blocking, but a lot to lose.

15. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

The problem is this. The RSE deal is heavy on loans. RSE has put very little of their own money into the deal.

Essentially if this deal does go down, the Coyotes are still Wards of the NHL, RSE little more than Foster Parents. Should as you suggest the Foster Parents fail to meet their obligations to Fortress & they start getting nasty, or if Glendale cant cover the $15M nut in year 2 or 3, its late or what have you, RSE will have to ask its Warders in the NHL for advances on the $85M & or on Revenue Sharing Proceeds or perhaps from the Development Fund. The NHL will be required to prop them up, plain & simple. And why? I guess all kinds of reasons, though none to me make much sense in the grand scheme of things. Were dealing with a wholly artificial system in the NHL's business model. Like some crazy, arcane experiment gone awry years ago where some teams are required to be drags on HRR's in order to insure the Caps dont wildly spike, forcing hardships elsewhere, insuring reasonable parity. Its messed up Man. This is not how you should be doing business, running your league.