1. As of May 24, 2018 our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have been updated.
    Dismiss Notice

Coyotes soon to be sold...?

Discussion in 'Arizona Sting Forum' started by Vin, May 30, 2013.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/05/27/phoenix-coyotes-nhl-renaissance.html?page=all

Well, it does look like the Coyotes may be sold soon but some final details need to be worked out between the prospective buyer (Renaissance Sports & Entertainment) and the City of Glendale regarding Jobing.com Arena. Hopefully, if things work out and the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, the new owners might consider resurrecting a new Sting 2.0 franchise in the NLL as well. However...

2. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

That arena is in the middle of nothing, that's a major problem there. The little area around the arena and football stadium is amazing on game days, one of the coolest setups, if not the coolest, I've ever seen.

The problem is its past Phoenix and where all the population is located. I was shocked to have to travel that far past downtown PHX it was to get there.

The location just seems like a major inconvenience for people around there. They come out for football, because it's the NFL, but NHL and especially NLL again may not do well.

I would love a successful team there though, no doubt.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm obviously not up to date on things, but were the Sting owned by the Coyotes? If not, then what would have stopped the Sting from moving to the US Airways Center in Phoenix? Maybe that could have boosted attendance a little bit.

4. Fabio gump

Fabio gump New Member

yes the Sting were owned by the Coyotes, and were shuttered mainly as a cost saving measure.

5. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

If I had a nickle for every Coyotes sale rumor I've read...

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

... and don't forget that the Coyotes had a long-term (30 year?) deal with the City of Glendale about playing there. It was an albatross for that team. Unfortunately, the Sting were owned by them.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Deadline nears...

On June 25th, the Glendale Arizona City Council will have their next meeting and last meeting before they go on break for 1.5 months. In that meeting, they should be deciding about a new lease deal with the Renaissance Sports & Entertainment who is attempting to buy the Coyotes from the NHL and keep them in Arizona.

The NHL Board of Governors meeting is two days later on June 27th.

If the council falls through and doesn't grant an acceptable deal, it appears that an investment group led by Ray Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza are prepared to purchase the Coyotes for $220 million. They would move them to Seattle where the Coyotes would play at Key Arena for two seasons until the new downtown Seattle arena is built. The NHL was already talking to the Seattle mayor about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  8. RockyNY

RockyNY New Member

so is that the hold up for 2013-14 NHL Schedule?

If they get sold, does that mean, they will move to Quebec in time for 2013-14 NHL Season?

What about the new division setting, how will that work? Phoenix is in Division C (not sure the name of it) and would need to move to Division B where Montreal are.

Roy

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Roy, right now, Québec is out of the picture. If the Coyotes move, almost certainly, it will be to Seattle, so no realignment would need to occur I suspect. I believe they would play in 2013-2014.

As for the schedule, I have no idea but I would doubt it would be out anyway. I don't believe that any league releases next season's schedule while the current season is still in operation. One reason for this is that strength-of-schedule is often an issue for scheduling purposes and that is not determinable until the current season concludes.

Sit tight and smoke a doobie. We'll know the likely answer in a week and the more-or-less certain answer the week after that.

Québec will just have to wait for the Islanders... ;) *Don't run-off crazy with that! I am just joking!*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  10. RockyNY

RockyNY New Member

did you realize that MLB release the following season schedule in September? And they do that during current season.

If MLB can do that, I dont see why not NHL do that during Stanley Cup Finals?

Roy

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

MLB is the only sport that does that, and they've only been doing it for a few years.

12. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

because they dont neither does the NBA
    because most of those teams play in multipurpose venues unlike baseball

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

That's right and in fact here's a confirmation of that:
    http://www.mlbschedule2014.com/releasedate.html

I don't know how official that is or even if that site is endorsed or licensed by MLB.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The jury is still out. Glendale City Council isn't enthralled by the offer and want some income guarantees.

EDIT: Here's a better update from USA Today.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2013/06/26/phoenix-coyotes-glendale-talks/2458949/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  15. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

NHL BOG meeting in NY today. It is crazy that this circus has been going on since 2008.

16. JCJarhead

JCJarhead New Member

What a farce!

Just move the damn team to Seattle and be done with it already! Bettman is such a meathead! yeah, he is worried about the NHL losing a team in the desert and how that might look? but isn't as concerned about the ongoing nature of this cluster gaggle? how's that look? It is obvious Phoenix just isn't serious enough to get this done reasonably.

Seattle is WIDE OPEN (no NBA team)...would be a good move on many levels.

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, as difficult as it was in Phoenix, the primary difficulty was the arena deal. However, the prospective new Phoenix owners submitted their proposed deal with a real low ball attendance figure of an average of 12600 or so to make it work. The big difference so far was how much the prospective owners would get paid to operate the arena. They wanted 15M$ but the City of Glendale was budgeting only 6M$. Glendale is in sh*t too because they literally are selling then going to rent their city hall because of all the money they sank in to the Glendale Arena for the Coyotes. The city actually has a vested interest in retaining the team although some board members want nothing to do with sports and want the team to go. Overall, though, it looks like it may work out. Things have to happen quickly though...

In fact, this is the just-released proposal from the city...
    http://www.glendaleaz.com/documents/coyotes--leaseagreementdraft_17319116_6062713.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  18. silvanthalas

silvanthalas Active Member

This proposal in a nutshell: Glendale is gladly bending over and grabbing their ankles.

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Not quite although they did make a major concession I believe with the "after 5 years, if it isn't working, you can skip town" addendum which is new.

EDIT: Wow, they did capitulate on the $15 million although the new owners offered to give $6 million back via fees. It still has to be voted on.

Meanwhile, here is a good analysis of the new offer.
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130627glendale-releases-draft-contract-phoenix-coyotes.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  20. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member